+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Is the concept of universal human rights a form of cultural imperialism?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    I'm in awe of your intellectual superiority.
    Yes, yes. Bathe in my radiance.

Nothing to do with intellectual capacity and everything to do with having seen the same ploy over and over again in discussion forums.

Erex:
    I can think of worse ways to research a piece of homework than asking a broad selection of people whether or not they agree with the question.
    Well I have to disagree. IMO, it is lazy and academically dishonest when the question is posed to a captive audience to discuss in good faith without revealing that it is a homework shortcut. (Assuming that is what it is).
    My shiny carapace is cracked. I should have never left the sea. Krugon.

Quote Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
    Well I have to disagree. IMO, it is lazy and academically dishonest when the question is posed to a captive audience to discuss in good faith without revealing that it is a homework shortcut. (Assuming that is what it is).
    I rather have my students ask people in a forum, where there's a chance that people will come up with actual references and good ideas, than have a student cite wikiality in a research paper.

Unfortunately, his case has not been the worst case I've had

In any case, it's still assuming that it is homework, and if it is for a paper then it's best to discuss with other people, you can choose to participate or not
    Last edited by Neferakhen; 05-25-2011 at 01:01 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Neferakhen View Post
    I rather have my students ask people in a forum, where there's a chance that people will come up with actual references and good ideas, than have a student cite wikiality in a research paper.
    Education is not the feeding of ideas into an empty vessel but coaching minds to question things themselves and to reach conclusions based on what they learn. Asking others for their opinions, whether it be on a forum, in the pub or while sharing a busride, means hearing the viewpoint of others. At the least, it is interesting to hear how others arrived at a different opinion. At best, we learn a little from each opinion we hear, and so broaden our own views.

As Neferakhen says, far better to chew it over yourself than to just swallow whole what someone else said and regurgitate it on demand.

Oh here we are, prolly not homework, just a 'poke 'em and see what they say' question reproduced so this site says, from All Souls College, Oxford's Fellowship exam.

One of a list said to be 'General subject' questions.

More info on the Fellowship exam by a journo who sat it:
    Telegraph article
    My shiny carapace is cracked. I should have never left the sea. Krugon.

Rich Aemry

I ignored this thread, assuming it was someone's homework. I see others fell for it.
    This thread has been going long enough that the OP would have a hard time using this as a short-cut. Forums are notoriously terrible about that.

Also even if it is the OP might actually learn something valuable he/she didn't learn in class. Either way I see no harm.

PS I feel safe that if this is an essay the OP won't learn his opinion or stance on any subject from a Forum. We are merely a sounding board, and there is no harm in that either. I've been know to have these discussions at IHOP or coffee shops in college towns with total strangers, this is no different.
    Last edited by Rich Aemry; 05-25-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Well, here's the cool thing.

If universal rights are purely a cultural innovation, not real... then there aren't any, right?

In which case people have no basis for complaining if someone else's culture is imposed on them. Such as the notion of universal rights. :P
    It doesn't matter.

As two old sayings goe, "you can take my wife, you can take my kids, and hell, you can even take my ranch, but take my guns or freedom and you'll just see how dead wrong you are."

And, "your freedom ends where my nose begins."

Cultural imperialism, universal rights, or whatever the hell people want to call it - the reality is, you can try, but as the western intervention in the middle east proved, you'll never get anywhere without going against your humanistic ways. The key to war is victory, and the only way to achieve victory is via deception; deception by deceiving not only the enemy, but yourself, as you're forced to tell yourself war is something else entirely.

But you still won't win that war either...
    CPU: Intel i7-920 2.67GHz
    GFX: MSI Nvidia Geforce NGTX480
    MOBO: EVGA FTW3 x58 Edition
    RAM: 3x2GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
    HDD: 2x1TB Samsung F3 7200RPM HDD
    Opt.Drive: Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner
    PSU: XFX 850w
    Casing: XCLIO Windtunnel

Yes, yes. Bathe in my radiance.

Nothing to do with intellectual capacity and everything to do with having seen the same ploy over and over again in discussion forums.

What captive audience? (your radiance is a little tarnished).
    Cogito Ergo Femina Sum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3