+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MMOs with player housing?

Shadowlander

Default MMOs with player housing?

Hey I was just curious as to what MMO's out there have housing? I know that Borecraft killed off the idea of housing for newer MMO's but I don't care if it's anime style or realistic.

Thanks.

(Can't wait for RIFT to get housing)

Lotro has housing ...typically used for storage of trophies, items, decorating and such. no real in game value other than that, but it is nice to have.

L to R: Jadeth, Ivo, Emaranthe, Jaeger
    Rift Fan Fiction!Ch. 11 of Book 3 is here! New web address: www.writezalot.com
    "The most articulated value in Greek culture is Areté. Translated as "virtue," the word actually means something closer to "being the best you can be,"

Well, that I know of, DAoC, UO, and shadowbane. UO had the best housing system as far as I'm concerned.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

From what I last heard, Fallen Earth had mentioned they were thinking very seriously thinking about how to implement it. Not sure if it's been done yet - i didn't hang around. I was intrigued to know how they were going to do it, though.
    "Ah could blow both yer nuts right awf using n'more than this 'ere spoon and a piece o' sweetcorn, aye."
    Keen-Eye Bill, leader of <Culinary Six-Shooter Extraordinaire's Swish 'n' Swanky Super-Spiffing Members-Only Club>
    Impeccable aim, and an all-round impressive bloke.

Eq1 added housing with the last expansion house of thule.
    Eq2 had Housing from launch, apartments, multiroomed and floored, each based on city or racial design
    though the Halasian housing was spacious and well designed. ( got to be rather addicting to re decorated evertime you got another good looking house item.

Rift, would be interesting to see what they had in mind, kelari inspired, ethian, etc.. would be nice to see, but would be as interesting to see how they could manged to grant access or deny access to people. if they would in turn allow selling from home.

Would they implement guild halls.. and if they did how many people would sit in the guild hall vs be out in the world.
    with Eq1 when guild halls were implemented, the main player hub appeared empty from that point on.. everyone camped out in the halls, sat around for groups or buffs. places like PoK appeared empty or relatively dead unless you were heading the the GH for mass buffs.. lol

eitherway will be interesting to see what they have in mind.
    "There are brave men out there.. let's go kill them.."

Sez

DaoC needed it though, as there was no Auction house, or market before then.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Rift Disciple

Anarchy Online and Runes of Magic.

Star Wars Galaxies did it best.
    I have discovered that all human evil comes from this, man's being unable to sit still in a room.

Quote Originally Posted by Freida View Post
    Anarchy Online and Runes of Magic.
    I knew someone was going to mention Runes of Credit Card.

Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    UO had the best housing system as far as I'm concerned.
    You must be talking Trammel days because when there was only Fel houseing was insanely bad, espeically with the damn tents everywhere.
    Last edited by Bloodwing; 05-21-2011 at 06:27 PM.

UO, EQ2, FFXI, AC1, SWG, and LotRO are the only games with housing I've personally seen. I liked the EQ2/FFXI method to a greater degree then the rest, with the LotRO system a close second.

The open world housing always annoyed me, because more often then naught, the houses just seem out of place. Nothing was more annoying then running along in UO, and suddenly finding yourself lagging to death as a player city springs up around you with all the various furniture, screaming animal statues, house textures, ect. It only got worse when the AoS Xpack came out alloying people to custom build their homes.

While the LotRO system had good layouts and whatnot, I think it did fracture the population a bit much, as I don't think I ever saw a single other player while roaming around in the housing instances.

EQ2's apartment setup was a bit better then FFXI's in many ways, but both at least kept the major cities bustling as players ran between home and auction/vendor/bank/trainer/ect.... until EQ2 added guild halls.
    ***Somebody has to be willing to push to get the ball rolling***

Mabinogi has housing, and the system actually worked pretty well. I could never afford one, though.

You had to enter special housing zones to find the houses, and they were in separate areas to the combat, so you wouldn't find yourself accidentally entering one. Players could use their houses to sell stuff all the time, which was neat, and other players could search for items being sold via bulletin boards in the housing zones.
    Last edited by Panique; 05-22-2011 at 08:01 AM.
    Laethys
    Lenna: Guardian / Dwarf / Cleric

Super Pani Land

Vanguard: Saga of heroes, They had an amazing housing system IMO, you had to have crafters make the goods for the houses, Also, you could make boats and guild halls as well.. it was awesome!
    "Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Scerun View Post
    From what I last heard, Fallen Earth had mentioned they were thinking very seriously thinking about how to implement it. Not sure if it's been done yet - i didn't hang around. I was intrigued to know how they were going to do it, though.
    I had a tent in Fallen Earth. And that's basically appropriate housing for the setting.

Anarchy Online had nice housing.

Heathkit H-89; 16 KB CPU; 90 KB Zenith HD; 5.25" H/Z-87; HDOS.

+ Reply to Thread