+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Seriously on the Censorship

Rift Disciple

Default Seriously on the Censorship

Sooooo - I will probably get in some sort of forum trouble for posting about another thread that was lock, but seriously on the censorship of talking about other games?

I've played a lot of MMOs and I've never seen a thread, in the Off-Topic Forums, that have been closed when discussing something not related to the game. Isn't that the whole point of having an off-topic section? If you were going to discuss something in the game, I'm assuming, you'd go to the general section. In fact, in the Off-Topic sticky it says:

"In this forum, we can talk about anything not related to Rift: Planes of Telara."

Yet a certain discussion on a sci-fi game coming out was closed? That's kind of ridiculous.
    Last edited by Airinya; 05-20-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Telaran

I think it says you have to be constructive or no trying to advertise the game

ALSO

Games comparing Rift to other MMOs tend to go down hill and fast
    I was once on a vegetarian diet, I quit though. Turns out Vegetarians are harder to catch and kill than cows and the meat is too stringy.

Ascendant

When your thread is trying to promote another game, no you are not within your rights.

Go stand in Target and tell anyone who will listen that there are better deals at Walmart. Yes you are free to speak in the store but I guarantee you will be asked to leave.
    Last edited by Nestran; 05-20-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Sez

All the facts.

I don't think you have them. You are just trying to look like some victim at this point. Get over it.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Rift Disciple

There isn't anything in the off-topic posting section that says:

"Discuss things off topic except for other games."

My point being is that the off-topic is exactly that - for dicussing other games. I've played many games and posted on many forums and they have all allowed you to discuss other games. If you go look at the WoW forums right now - a game which is bleeding subscriptions - they aren't inhibiting people from posting about other games in their off-topic section. They've had many dicussions on Rift, AoC, FFXIV, Halo, CoD, and many other games.

I realize Trion is a private company well within their rights to do as it pleases, but if they want the topics to stay Rift related then don't have an off topic section.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    All the facts.

I don't think you have them. You are just trying to look like some victim at this point. Get over it.
    It wasn't even my thread sir - I have no interest in whether it was locked or not.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Airinya View Post
    I have no interest in whether it was locked or not.
    That is not what you indicated in your OP.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    That is not what you indicated in your OP.
    Sure it is. I'm not vested in Star Wars - in fact I think the game looks quite lame and I've heard it's very linear. What I am vested in is making sure that the companies that I consume from have understandable business practices. If moderators intend to pick and choose, without providing any actual guidelines, what is considered "off-topic" enough to be in the off-topic I have a serious problem with that from a consumer standpoint. If you don't, then I think that's pretty sad.

Ascendant

There isn't anything in the off-topic posting section that says:

"Discuss things off topic except for other games."

My point being is that the off-topic is exactly that - for dicussing other games. I've played many games and posted on many forums and they have all allowed you to discuss other games. If you go look at the WoW forums right now - a game which is bleeding subscriptions - they aren't inhibiting people from posting about other games in their off-topic section. They've had many dicussions on Rift, AoC, FFXIV, Halo, CoD, and many other games.

I realize Trion is a private company well within their rights to do as it pleases, but if they want the topics to stay Rift related then don't have an off topic section.
    And your common sense should dictate to you that promoting another game is wrong. Your type of thinking is the reason they have to put "HOT" on a cup of coffee.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    And your common sense should dictate to you that promoting another game is wrong. Your type of thinking is the reason they have to put "HOT" on a cup of coffee.

Yes, it's insane to think that people would talk about different video games in the off-topic section of a video game... WHAT WAS I THINKING!?!

Also, if you actually read the thread I was referring to, which you clearly didn't, you'd see the OP was thinking the game was going to turn out fairly poorly.

It is pretty crazy that there are so many things we cant talk about in the off topic forums.

Ascendant

Yes, it's insane to think that people would talk about different video games in the off-topic section of a video game... WHAT WAS I THINKING!?!

Also, if you actually read the thread I was referring to, which you clearly didn't, you'd see the OP was thinking the game was going to turn out fairly poorly.
    Nope, didn't need to, there were plenty of others that were close that were promoting. I agree with killing them.

Sez

Sure it is. I'm not vested in Star Wars - in fact I think the game looks quite lame and I've heard it's very linear. What I am vested in is making sure that the companies that I consume from have understandable business practices. If moderators intend to pick and choose, without providing any actual guidelines, what is considered "off-topic" enough to be in the off-topic I have a serious problem with that from a consumer standpoint. If you don't, then I think that's pretty sad.

It still sounds like you care, IMO.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    Nope, didn't need to, there were plenty of others that were close that were promoting. I agree with killing them.
    Obviously you did need to due to the fact that your response to my post was based on the assumption that he was promoting a game - which he wasn't. Also, according to Trion's own guidlines, in terms of promotion, the individual making a post regarding the game must net some sort of financial gain from the promotion.

However, if you think comapnies should be able to randomly delete stuff that doesn't violate any ToS more power to you. You should try out living in a Communist country. I hear they're great!

Rich Aemry

What I am vested in is making sure that the companies that I consume from have understandable business practices. If moderators intend to pick and choose, without providing any actual guidelines, what is considered "off-topic" enough to be in the off-topic I have a serious problem with that from a consumer standpoint. If you don't, then I think that's pretty sad.
    This is quite possibly the best statement I have seen made in the Off Topic forums here. I also find the complete arbitrary, and to some extent capricious nature of the Forum Mods to be disturbing. Some threads remain unoffensive and get deleted and all the participants warnings. Others are blatantly offensive and only get locked.

The best example I can think of off the top of my head is a kid who openly defamed the memory and family of a recent posthumous medal of honor recipient, and received no warning while in another thread about a rival videogame a couple people got warnings.

I don't really care what the rules shake out as. This is Trion's private property which they allow us to play on for a fee. I do however care that they make the rule-set more concrete, defined, and evenly applied. It is essential to me that the moderators, are even-handed, remain calm and collected in their jobs, do more posting than they currently do, and remove the vagaries from the code of conduct.

I do not like the inability to know what is actually okay here in the off topic forums. To a great extent it is due to the vague code of conduct, and the only selective enforcement of those vague rules.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast