+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Building a new rig, need tech advice.

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default Building a new rig, need tech advice.

    Below are the specs I have selected so far. Is there anything I should change? It's sitting around $1,200 right now which is what I was looking to spend but I'm open to dropping a little more if it it's going to mean a significant improvement. I'm also not all that familiar with motherboards, fans and power supply's so please let me know if I made a bad choice.

    CPU: Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core 3.20GHz 8M 4.80 GT/s 130W LGA1366
    Motherboard: Asus SabertoothX58 Motherboard
    Memory: Kingston 2X4GB DDR3 1333 CL9
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD6950 PCI-E 2GB DDR5
    Sound Cards: Onboard Audio
    Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB (1000GB) SATA 3GB 7200RPM,32MB Cache
    Optical Drive 1: LG GH24LS50 SATA 24X DVD-RW DRIVE, LIGHTSCRIBE, BLACK, INTERNAL, Retail
    Network Adapter: Onboard Network Adapter
    Power Supply: Coolermaster Extreme Power 650W ATX 12V V2.01 Silent Power Supply 20/24PIN 120MM Fan
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (Installation if buy with PC/Disc/License)

  2. #2
    Plane Walker Dourgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    416

    Default

    I would bump up your power supply a bit which will help future proof. Corsair makes an 850w for about $130.

    And make sure to save money for a good case. Read reviews and make sure it looks cool yes, but also has good airflow, good access and room for all of your goodies. I skimped here and regret it. Good airflow=better cooling=longer life and better performance from all of your components.
    Last edited by Dourgen; 05-18-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Thanks for the haircuts.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default Processor

    Get the sandy bridge edition of the processor it runs on a 1155 board make sure the board u get is able to run it.
    Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

    Power supply
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power supply

    Get the best video card u can with out going into a crossfire or any type of dual card setup. Since most MMO's have issues with this.

    Solid state for main hard drive OCZ Velocity 2

    Get Gigabyte mother board standard 3 years and can over clock the I7 Sandy bridge automatically with in windows.
    GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

    XMP memory
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

    ATI seems to be the best card on the market from my testing. I use the 6970 and all I can say is everything on max and at least a 42 frame rate.

    Make sure your running windows 64 Pro.

    I build gaming rigs all the time I started my company 10 years ago so trust me I have the years of knowledge behind me.

    Corsair is the king in high end PC world. Also make sure ur case is made of steel and a full size case not mid. Also spend at least $180 on a case. Trust me when it comes time for u to keep the temps down or just plug things in u will be much happier.

  4. #4
    Rich Aemry
    Guest

    Default

    Look at the sig. It's about what you're looking for if you eliminate the sound card, the second GPU, the liquid cooling, and the crazy *** HDD setup.
    Last edited by Rich Aemry; 05-19-2011 at 01:01 AM.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    115

    Default

    I would suggest replacing the "Coolermaster Extreme Power 650W ATX 12V V2.01 Silent Power Supply 20/24PIN 120MM Fan" with a rugged Chinese Hamster (for increased lifespan as opposed to a golden syrian or russian hamster) backed up by an eight point five inch, ASCPA-approved Wodent-model exercise wheel. This combination should be efficient and comfortable, resulting in a squeakier machine with a signgificantly higher fondness for cheese and small seeds. It's $10 for the wheel, but the hamster may set you back more depending on availability in your area. It offers easy installation on anything from an H-600 to a SG-25 chassis. The unique semi-solid frontage of the wheel offers your rig superior cooling, easy feeding, and the ability to bite potential thieves who stray too close to the holes. You should be looking at an average number of revolutions of anything up to 833 per hour, depending on the fitness of the precise hamster installed, but remember that they are mostly nocturnal animals and so may not be suitable for extensive gaming during daylight hours. Be sure to house your hamster well away from the GPU to avoid overheating, as well as other potential hazards such as sharp wires, live circuitry, or cats.

  6. #6
    Rich Aemry
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erex View Post
    I would suggest replacing the "Coolermaster Extreme Power 650W ATX 12V V2.01 Silent Power Supply 20/24PIN 120MM Fan" with a rugged Chinese Hamster (for increased lifespan as opposed to a golden syrian or russian hamster) backed up by an eight point five inch, ASCPA-approved Wodent-model exercise wheel. This combination should be efficient and comfortable, resulting in a squeakier machine with a signgificantly higher fondness for cheese and small seeds. It's $10 for the wheel, but the hamster may set you back more depending on availability in your area. It offers easy installation on anything from an H-600 to a SG-25 chassis. The unique semi-solid frontage of the wheel offers your rig superior cooling, easy feeding, and the ability to bite potential thieves who stray too close to the holes. You should be looking at an average number of revolutions of anything up to 833 per hour, depending on the fitness of the precise hamster installed, but remember that they are mostly nocturnal animals and so may not be suitable for extensive gaming during daylight hours. Be sure to house your hamster well away from the GPU to avoid overheating, as well as other potential hazards such as sharp wires, live circuitry, or cats.
    That's pretty damn funny. Hard to read though, I'm partial to paragraphs.

  7. #7
    Plane Walker Dourgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankieg View Post
    Get the sandy bridge edition of the processor it runs on a 1155 board make sure the board u get is able to run it.
    Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

    Power supply
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power supply

    Get the best video card u can with out going into a crossfire or any type of dual card setup. Since most MMO's have issues with this.

    Solid state for main hard drive OCZ Velocity 2

    Get Gigabyte mother board standard 3 years and can over clock the I7 Sandy bridge automatically with in windows.
    GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

    XMP memory
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

    ATI seems to be the best card on the market from my testing. I use the 6970 and all I can say is everything on max and at least a 42 frame rate.

    Make sure your running windows 64 Pro.

    I build gaming rigs all the time I started my company 10 years ago so trust me I have the years of knowledge behind me.

    Corsair is the king in high end PC world. Also make sure ur case is made of steel and a full size case not mid. Also spend at least $180 on a case. Trust me when it comes time for u to keep the temps down or just plug things in u will be much happier.
    For a $1200 budget?
    Thanks for the haircuts.

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser Protokill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bitemarks View Post
    Below are the specs I have selected so far. Is there anything I should change? It's sitting around $1,200 right now which is what I was looking to spend but I'm open to dropping a little more if it it's going to mean a significant improvement. I'm also not all that familiar with motherboards, fans and power supply's so please let me know if I made a bad choice.

    CPU: Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core 3.20GHz 8M 4.80 GT/s 130W LGA1366
    Motherboard: Asus SabertoothX58 Motherboard
    Memory: Kingston 2X4GB DDR3 1333 CL9
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD6950 PCI-E 2GB DDR5
    Sound Cards: Onboard Audio
    Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB (1000GB) SATA 3GB 7200RPM,32MB Cache
    Optical Drive 1: LG GH24LS50 SATA 24X DVD-RW DRIVE, LIGHTSCRIBE, BLACK, INTERNAL, Retail
    Network Adapter: Onboard Network Adapter
    Power Supply: Coolermaster Extreme Power 650W ATX 12V V2.01 Silent Power Supply 20/24PIN 120MM Fan
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (Installation if buy with PC/Disc/License)
    You have an X58 board which means you should get 1600mhz memory not 1333. Dump that first. Get a 3 stick set of 12 gigs. That board has 3 channel memory slots I believe. Get a solid state drive also. Huge deal. Bump your PSU to 900 watts or 1000.

    And for gods sake, get rid of the ATI card. Nvidia is the standard for programmers. Its not about which hardware you like its about the software that is build around the hardware and no one has deeper pockets than Nvidia to give to game designers that make sure their games run perfect on their hardware and drivers. Go Nvidia or you're just wasting your time and money.

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thank you guys. I'm going through all the posts and making some changes to my order. It's going to bit more $$ but it's a big investment so I'd rather do it right. I'm going to post back with the new setup when I'm done.

  10. #10
    Rich Aemry
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Protokill View Post
    And for gods sake, get rid of the ATI card. Nvidia is the standard for programmers. Its not about which hardware you like its about the software that is build around the hardware and no one has deeper pockets than Nvidia to give to game designers that make sure their games run perfect on their hardware and drivers. Go Nvidia or you're just wasting your time and money.
    Direct Compute and Open CL killed Nvidia's dominance. AMD has put the "Gaming Evolved" push seriously and it is rivaling TWIMTBP quite well now.

    Nvidia is scrambling like hell just to stay in business after Intel locks them out, and AMD begins to only allow all AMD platforms. They aren't going to be the dominant GPU maker in about 2-3 years, and Devs know it. We are still seeing more TWIMTBP titles than GE titles b/c it takes years to make a game, but if you look down the pipe Nvidia is funding fewer and fewer.

    If you want the best performance on a single GPU on a single monitor the GTX 580 is the way to go, but the 6950 is still the best card for your cash this gen, and the 6990 just eats the GTX 590 for lunch.

    Do I think that Nvidia is a bad card maker in any way? No, but AMD is far from a waste of time and/or money in GPU land these days. I hope Nvidia stays in business and stays profitable, but the discrete GPU as a card is on it's way out, and Nvidia will be out the door with it if they don't find other ways to diversify.

  11. #11
    IXI
    IXI is offline
    Plane Walker IXI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankieg View Post
    Also spend at least $180 on a case.
    No HAF costs more than $180, but there are some.. interesting.. cases in that price range.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133089

    Lol...
    It's spelled "Riftdrawal", and yeah you have it.

  12. #12
    Rich Aemry
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IXI View Post
    No HAF costs more than $180, but there are some.. interesting.. cases in that price range.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133089

    Lol...
    For the cash the HAF 922 is the best for your money IMO, and it's about $100.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-197-_-Product

  13. #13
    Telaran homfridis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Sandy bridge 2400 + gtx 570 = win. That would be my combo, friend runs his at 3.99ghz, fast rig for cheap!

  14. #14
    Ascendant Laeris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aemry View Post
    Look at the sig. It's about what you're looking for if you eliminate the sound card, the second GPU, the liquid cooling, and the crazy *** HDD setup.
    Your sig, in my own opinion, is the perfect way to guarantee to blow half of the money you spent building it. For gaming, when choosing a processor, the only stat that matters is the cache size on the chip. Cores... clock speed... all cursory. Gaming is about multi tasking. A 12MB L3 cache chip running at stock 3.2 speeds is about 200% faster than an OC'd chip with 8mb cache.

    I won't get into why I think kids buy more than 4GB of RAM.... Ill just say that when running 32 bit programs like Rift, you don't ever use more than 2GB of RAM and if your OS is hogging another 2GB, then you need to learn how to optimize a PC's operating environment. All a 64-bit OS does is allow your system to utilize other areas of memory for multitasking... which is a good thing. However, people with 8 and 12GB of RAM never use it unless you're a graphics artist or animator. 32-bit games can't use more than 2GB per program. It's a mathematical certainty that can't be exceeded under normal operating parameters (-IF- a 32-bit program registers more than 2GB of memory usage... it's because you have a memory leak).

    For me, I use a QX9770 chip OC'd to 4ghz. It can run 200 windows of the same blu-ray DvD and not lag while concurrently running 2 EVE clients... all at under 50% total load. But, my chip is a 2k to 3k dollar chip (I'm a graphics designer). This rig plays games rather well too. Still, too many people buy into the new thing hype.... when, for years, the best chips for gaming have been server-based architecturally designed chips.
    Last edited by Laeris; 05-20-2011 at 10:30 AM.

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser Anomolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    354

    Default

    don't buy a SATA HD. Go with solid state for your install drive. Huge differance

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts