Closed Thread

Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Default The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Is anyone else playing this at the moment? I have been following this for a long while. Now it has arrived I find it is one of those rare games that isn't a disappointment and lives up to all my expectations. This game should be the benchmark that any future rpg should be measured against. Forget those Bioware and Bethesda pretenders.

First this game is the best looking game I have ever seen period. Even on my modest rig it has stunningly beautiful, rich and extremely detailed environments. Even in the relevantly short time that I have been playing I have had jaw dropping moments where I have turned a corner and bam an epic vista that just makes you stop and stare at the screen in awe (sorry about the gushing but it is that good).

On top of that the story is very engaging full of political intrigue and backstabbing. For obvious reasons I will quote River Song's Tag Line "Spoilers Sweetie" and leave you discover the details. Its fair to say though that your actions affect the story lines in many ways (it has 16 different endings apparently ) The characterisation is spot on too and I experienced something that is sadly quite rare for me these days in rpg's, I actually started caring about the characters and what happened to them. This game is billed as an adult game and what that mean in this particular case is lots of swearing and nudity (at least on the UK version others may differ) but this is done in a way that it fits into the world they have created and doesn't feel forced or shoe horned in to try and be cool.

Now a couple of bad points (or good depending on your perspective). This game while having some instruction doesn't hold your hand while you are playing. By that I mean that as far as game mechanics go you will be told the absolute basics but after that you are on your own. You are expected to discover how things work rather than have the game hand hold you through each encounter. Some people have complained about this but me I think it harks back to game conventions long past and see it as a good thing, other don't, so ymmv. I found the controls a little twitchy to start with, especially when you are trying to figure out how the combat works but you get used to it eventually and encounters will be a lot smoother.

Also some people have reported issues with certain graphics cards (ATI's) so if you are running one of those it may pay to do some research first. On that note I would suggest whatever your rig that you check the requirements first as they are a little higher than you would normally expect for this sort of thing.

Anyhow I suppose I should end this gushy review now before it gets too much even for me. Man it's been an expensive month so far for games Witcher 2, Brink (good game but atrocious UK launch), Fallout New Vegas DLC, (oh well who needs food anyway) and I still have Rift to play. Too many games not enough hours in the day

TLDR: Buy Witcher 2 (if you can run it) you wont be disappointed

I picked it up the other day but I haven't really had time play - save for leaving the tent and watch the amazing scenery. Gonna try to log a few hours this weekend.
    "Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balraw View Post
    TLDR: Buy Witcher 2 (if you can run it) you wont be disappointed
    Hm...actually I'll be very disappointed because I can't play as a female. If they make "The Witch 2: Dominatrix Of Kings", then I'm there. Also looking for the titles "Grand Theft Audrey", and "Redhead Redemption".
    Last edited by Silverangel69; 05-18-2011 at 09:48 PM.

I still need to finish the first one lol.

I have a long list of games to catch up on...finish Mass Effect 1, Dead Space, Dragon Age and Awakening, The Witcher, Bioshock...and I have the sequels to all of these, still shrinkwrapped, sitting on my desk as I type this >< Minus The Witcher 2, just haven't gotten around to ordering that quite yet. It looks great, and I really am enjoying the first one, but it's not high on my priorities to get right now.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Silverangel69 View Post
    Hm...actually I'll be very disappointed because I can't play as a female. If they make "The Witch 2: Dominatrix Of Kings", then I'm there. Also looking for the titles "Grand Theft Audrey", and "Redhead Redemption".
    It's a game built around the character. So yeah. Just how it is.

Well I have finished this now and all I can say is wow what a ride ... um ... no I am not just talking about when you visit a brothel (in game ), though now I come to think about it

This game has made me think about the choices I made more than any other in recent memory to the point where I would take a break, make a coffee and sit and ponder what I wanted to do for 5 minutes or so. The story telling is top notch (with one exception which I will discuss in a little while ... spoiler free I promise) and really made me care about the characters I was interacting with. Also it was nice that it wasn't just a simple choice between good/bad as certain other recent rpg 's tended to have been. A lot of the time is was a case of choosing the lesser of two evils and hoping it didn't mess things up too badly for everyone (or not as the case may be)

OK my one complaint is that the last chapter while bringing the game to its conclusion felt extremely rushed compared to the previous chapters. It was kind of like someone looked at the clock and said "wow is that the time, we'd better wrap this up quick". It was still fun and enjoyable to play through but I felt compared to the rest of the game it was it's weakest point, when it should have been at it's strongest. Still all in all very much worth the time I put into this game (and I am sure I will be putting more into it at some point)

Well I am going to make another coffee and try to decide if I should run through this again straight away (with different choices) or play one of the other games I have stacked up recently.

Hi everyone,

We understand that some degree of compare and constrast discussion is inevitable when discussing games, and we're okay with that as long as they are constructive, but please keep in mind that these are the official Rift forums. As such, we do expect discussions to be about Rift, not other games.

We have closed this thread. If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@riftgame.com.

Thank you!
    Please be sure to follow the Code of Conduct at all times when using these forums.
    Please feel free to contact the Rift Community Team at community@riftgame.com if you have any questions or concerns about this message or its contents.

Closed Thread