Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bored with Rift and looking to play something more MMO and less theme park?

Champion

Default Bored with Rift and looking to play something more MMO and less theme park?

Rift is a good game. It's why many of us, including myself, are still subscribed and intend on staying that way.

However, just judging from both the forums and the people/guilds I deal with, a lot of us are getting bored with it precisely because it doesn't offer what some older MMOs did and instead is rapidly adopting the WoW development model.

My suggestion to you?

Check out Vanguard again.

Yes, it had a terrible launch. It was buggy, unoptimized, and had a lot of issues. That's why the launch failed and it got relegated to life support mode. However, SOE did the smart thing and left a small dev team working on it - and without that team being pestered by upper level executives demanding they make game changes that are ******ed, they've done an amazing thing.

They've turned a buggy, poorly balanced MMO into something truly amazing.

If you played it at launch and quit out of disgust, pick up the free trial. You'll be pleasantly surprised. If you're wanting a more hardcore experience, in a more immersive world, with more content than almost any other MMO out there, Vanguard may have some promise for you.

The class system is superbly balanced at this point - every class has a distinct role, and none of them are undesired. All of them are balanced relatively well against classes that provide a similar function. Most classes get multiple stances that alter the playstyle somewhat. All classes get reactive abilities that trigger off of crits, debuffs, and other conditions, making skill usage more strategic than "here's your rotation". The combat mechanics themselves are familiar, but offer quite a bit of variability, in addition to having both offensive and defensive targets - many abilities simultaneously assault your offensive target while buffing or healing your defensive.

The crafting system is its own progression path and is an active system - no click "create all" and reading a book. Items can be customized both in stat/effect as well as quality based on what materials you use, what grade they are, and how well you do during the crafting process of not only the main item but also the subcomponents of each item.

The diplomacy system is entirely unique as far as I know - it's essentially a card minigame that can be used to influence factions within the game world. It has its own progression path, and diplomacy provides both area-wide buffs as well as character specific reward.

The world is massive. The only pre-expansion MMO that even comes close to the same size is FFXI. Even most MMOs after multiple expansions aren't anywhere near the size of Vanguard. To my knowledge only EQ1 actually exceeds it at this point - potentially EQ2 or WoW, but even that I'm not sure about.

Dungeons are open world, seamless, and dangerous. You don't pull a pack of five NPCs and AOE them down, because you die. You have to use crowd control, split pulls, etc. This actually goes for a good bit of the non-dungeon content as well. This is only a somewhat solo friendly game - you're an adventurer, not a god, and while virtually every class can solo to some extent, it's not particularly recommended. Making friends is highly encouraged.

The game is chock full of lore, particularly if you follow the diplomacy path.

Player and guild housing is fully implemented, and not the boring click on a door and choose the house style. Housing exists in the world along with everything else, and not just in major cities. Speaking of cities, they're actually cities - all of them are, to put it bluntly, ******* huge.

They designed the world to actually be a world. No jarring zone transitions from one biome to another, the NPC populations make sense instead of being rigidly subdivided by NPC type.

The quest system is player-friendly without holding your hand and changing your diaper. There are waypoints, but they're general - they point you to the area, but rarely the specific spot, and some don't even do that.

It has the best implemented bard class of any game, ever. None of that predefined song crap - you make your own songs from components. There are almost a quadrillion possible songs that you can create - granted of that only about 60-70 combinations are actually useful, but even so there are 60-70 highly useful combinations. In addition to that bards aren't crippled beyond their songs - they can put out pretty substantial damage.

It has, hands down, the best community of any MMO out there, largely because it's small. People are friendly, helpful, and not at all tolerant of the typical WoWtard.

The only downside to Vanguard is the lack of playerbase - as I said, the game was put on life support due to the massive subscription drop after its utterly horrible launch. Telon, the NA server, usually only has about 1000-2000 players online during primetime. That being said, it's scattered through the level ranges pretty well - and right now there's a lot of new/old people playing again due to the free gametime SOE gave everyone. If you're wanting something a bit more immersive and interesting than Rift is turning out to be, check it out.

Circumstances under which I will pay money to Sony again, ever:
    • None.

That's sorta the key flaw. I don't care for Sony's history of rootkits, lies, abuse of process, and generally bad behavior.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Champion

That's nice? Irrelevant to the topic, since basically zero of that has ever applied to SOE's MMO products, but thanks for the input.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    • None.
    Hehe. Unfortunately, I tend to agree.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Telaran

I'm interested, free trial? where!

Champion

Go here: http://launcher.station.sony.com/

Grab that, register an account if you haven't, and when you log in you'll see the option for Vanguard. Choose that and it'll let you download the trial to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarestar View Post
    That's nice? Irrelevant to the topic, since basically zero of that has ever applied to SOE's MMO products,
    If SoE were a completely separate company that weren't part of the rest of the company or financially linked to them in any way, and indeed had been a completely seperate company all along that happened to have the same name, then it would be irrelevant.

In the real world, if you support SoE, you are supporting Sony. Every dollar you send to SoE is an affirmation that you are just fine with Sony as a corporation, including their lawsuits against their customers, their rootkits, the whole thing. If you weren't fine with them, you wouldn't be sending them money.

The strongest claim I'd ever make positively about SoE is that so far as I know, we have not yet caught them doing anything flagrantly abusive or illegal. And that "so far as I know" qualifier is important, because I suspect the only reason I can say even that much is that I've never looked much.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Ascendant

When I found out that SOE gave me 45 days game time in any game I played in the past, active or not, I did this very thing.
    I was a bit disappointed. The UI is clunky and the graphics are dated. I remembered VG as having the best graphics even against todays MMOs but Rift has killed that. VG looks old.

No visible rain in Windows 7, immersion breaking.

Hitching, very annoying.

I will always have a spot in my heart for my memory of VG but I don't think I can live there anymore.

Wow, I thought Vanguard had been closed! Interesting that it's still up and running. I actually really enjoyed a lot of that game, mostly the crafting. Building houses and stuff was cool! I also REALLY loved the fact that you could MOVE WHILE CASTING. I don't understand the need to stand still and cast, when melee characters can run around in circles and still swing their swords perfectly. (Try that in real life...it's nowhere near as easy as it looks!)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by corrin View Post
    Wow, I thought Vanguard had been closed! Interesting that it's still up and running. I actually really enjoyed a lot of that game, mostly the crafting. Building houses and stuff was cool! I also REALLY loved the fact that you could MOVE WHILE CASTING. I don't understand the need to stand still and cast, when melee characters can run around in circles and still swing their swords perfectly. (Try that in real life...it's nowhere near as easy as it looks!)
    Yeah, it's still there, on life support but it's there.
    TBH if the pop were high enough I would consider rolling my rig back to XP (for the rain) and playing again.

For all the problems it still has, the crafting, housing, boat building is really a draw.

Wink

• None.

That's sorta the key flaw. I don't care for Sony's history of rootkits, lies, abuse of process, and generally bad behavior.
    I agree too... I would rather give my account info to that Nigerian prince, than trust Sony has finally make their account servers safe. At least there is a slight chance that what the Nigerian scammer says is true. lol
    :: Ceileigh Amberlight - Dwarf Engineer :: Nimhue Amberlight - Dwarf Druid :: Faeblight ::

Champion

If SoE were a completely separate company that weren't part of the rest of the company or financially linked to them in any way, and indeed had been a completely seperate company all along that happened to have the same name, then it would be irrelevant.
    No, sorry, it's still irrelevant. First, because I'd be willing to bet you buy or use Sony-related products quite frequently without even knowing it, along with plenty of other companies that have done questionable things, thus basically making you into a massive hypocrite. Second, because the topic isn't "why will you never play SOE games again".

Find a new thread to troll.

To the folks that are actually interested and not just trying to bump their post count: there are some pretty decent UI mods you can get at VGInterface that bring the UI closer to what someone would expect from a modern MMO, may make a bit easier to adjust. Just keep in mind it IS an older game at this point - the graphics are still very good for an MMO because they were vastly too good for the time it was made, but some of the more modern conveniences won't be there. Which, oddly, is actually a good part of why I like it.
    Last edited by Flarestar; 05-19-2011 at 06:00 PM.

I bought this when it first came out. At the time I did not really get into it mainly because at the time my computer could not handle it. I may have to check it out just to see what I missed out on.
    Stupid People P*** Me Off

VG was a good game. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I purchased it pre launch and was there for beta. I bought the collectors edition because i thought it would be the game that i would play for the next ten years. The problem was that it promised so much and had so much of what i was ultimately looking for and when it did not actually give these things i was completely thrown off it. I had built up this idea of one of the most immersive MMOS ever in my head but sadly with all the great "draws" it had to many negatives to be substantial. However i did go back, quite a few times and each time i did see changes. They were always for the better and the game had come a long way. As a seasoned veteran of the EQ line and a fan of Verant, to watch from the stands as they sold out one more time to SOE. Simply the game was doomed from the start of launch. It was always supposed to be the next great game. I enjoyed my time there and would have liked to enjoy it longer but now i have taken a liking to Rift. This game has potential and even though it doesn't have a lot of the large world, large city feel that i came to enjoy so much. I have made a compromise for the content. I wouldn't say i'm bored with the game there is still plenty to do. I worry that maybe they go more towards the WoW scheme but at the same time i trust the people of trion to make the right moves. If they don't, well, people will just leave Rift than and go Back to WoW. So no one will have to worry about anything than. It was good to think back for a moment on VG but it is and always will be the past. Posting in a Rift forum to try and gain a few VG players is a long shot. It's pointless really. And with how much talk goes into how big of a bastard Sony is, i wouldn't be surprised if you worked for Sony yourself =P. Ok so the last part i was being a bit facetious but the point is VG had its time and it didn't make it. Lets allow Rift a chance to have its shot at being the next big thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Saianyde View Post
    VG was a good game. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I purchased it pre launch and was there for beta. I bought the collectors edition because i thought it would be the game that i would play for the next ten years. The problem was that it promised so much and had so much of what i was ultimately looking for and when it did not actually give these things i was completely thrown off it. I had built up this idea of one of the most immersive MMOS ever in my head but sadly with all the great "draws" it had to many negatives to be substantial. However i did go back, quite a few times and each time i did see changes. They were always for the better and the game had come a long way. As a seasoned veteran of the EQ line and a fan of Verant, to watch from the stands as they sold out one more time to SOE. Simply the game was doomed from the start of launch. It was always supposed to be the next great game. I enjoyed my time there and would have liked to enjoy it longer but now i have taken a liking to Rift. This game has potential and even though it doesn't have a lot of the large world, large city feel that i came to enjoy so much. I have made a compromise for the content. I wouldn't say i'm bored with the game there is still plenty to do. I worry that maybe they go more towards the WoW scheme but at the same time i trust the people of trion to make the right moves. If they don't, well, people will just leave Rift than and go Back to WoW. So no one will have to worry about anything than. It was good to think back for a moment on VG but it is and always will be the past. Posting in a Rift forum to try and gain a few VG players is a long shot. It's pointless really. And with how much talk goes into how big of a bastard Sony is, i wouldn't be surprised if you worked for Sony yourself =P. Ok so the last part i was being a bit facetious but the point is VG had its time and it didn't make it. Lets allow Rift a chance to have its shot at being the next big thing.
    OMG wall of text. Paragraphs are a good thing bro.
    Stupid People P*** Me Off

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast