+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This is just sad...

Wow seriously? Some people just find anything they can to b!tch about a game, huh? I lose a little bit of faith in humanity every day I wake up, I swear ><

Rift Disciple

What sort of sorry excuse for journalism is that? "Bad guys in fiction are ocassionally mean". What a revelation; better stop the presses and ensure that the world finds out.

And really, they think "fatty fatty no parents" is too harsh to be used in a game meant for people ten and older, about to finish primary school? When I was that age I was reading stuff like Dune. As I seem to recall, Baron Harkonnen did considerably worse things to young men than reminding them that they had no parents.
    Last edited by Erex; 05-17-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Default What!!!!!!....

OMG who cares on what the jokes are!!!... its all done in fun. This is a serious attempt at suing the company for MULA!!!... I'm telling you man...he has Dollar bills in his eyes...

Did he forget that its a "game" taking stuff wayyyy to serious here.... its so sad now a days to have people look & search any reason to make some money.
    Last edited by VanguardRiftChaser; 05-17-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    Do you like Rift? Does he like Rift? Does she like Rift?...I sure like Rift youz gots my Drift?...

Just from reading the article, I'd say the "offended" child in question has more of an issue with parents who take every opportunity they can to remind her she's adopted and therefore not their "natural" child.

I don't know how any video game could cause more psychological damage than parents like that.

I would hope this case gets thrown out. But, in our society, where the laws allow for people to get rich if they can hire a sufficiently corrupt money-grubbing lawyer, I don't have much hope.

Edit: I just looked at the article again. It seems the real issue is with the father--maybe he's having trouble accepting the fact that his child is adopted--it doesn't say anything about the child being upset at all, only the father.

If this case goes to court, the judge would be very wise to order this family into counseling!
    Last edited by Palvy; 05-18-2011 at 04:42 AM.

Looks to me as if the kid is playing Portal 2 during the news clip. I guess the "insults" must have not been that bad.

This story made me so mad, that I got mad. I'm so mad that I can't think or come up with a sentence explaining how mad I am. I genuinely hate everyone in that video and hope that I never see them in real life.

Plane Touched

So since it is just a game, it should be tolerated something similar. I guess that the next generation games will start mocking ***** women and nobody will absolutely care because it is just a game.
    If you think so than dont be mad at me if i say go to **** off, it is just a forum.

Rift Disciple

Marzio, it shouldn't be tolerated because it's just a game, it should be tolerated because it's the taunting of a fictional villain. Are you saying that all villains in fiction should conduct themselves in a politely and friendly manner at all times?

Plane Touched

I must say that i dont know the game in his entirety but i am saying that if it must be considered just a game then there is no need to be so adherent to reality, but if you want to make something be much more adherent to reality then you should expect that somebody react as if it was the truth because you are not designing a game but simulating reality.

If a game is intended to be fun then introducing such a particular in it is like assuming that
    someone will find it amusing, implying that it would be adherent to reality to have fun by teasing someone because it was adopted and that it is a pivot of the plot.
    While this could happen for real, i dont see why it should be considered as a fundamental element of fun. Is there some element in the story that makes being adpoted instrumental to the narrative?

There are several villains in the real world that use to torture people and so on. Should all "fake" villains do so otherwise games would not be credible?

Should actors stab someone on the stage for real everytime they play "Julius Caesar"?They mimic a stab because that thing is necessary to the plot.

Most of the times these extreme situation are only intended to advertise and are in no way necessary to
    improve the game experience. Their presence or absence would not be noted by a "normal" person. And with normal i mean someone not personally involved. They are intentionally made so that someone could be annoyed and protest and the smaller the category of people who are harrassed the easier is exploiting the thing.

Maybe this child was not disturbed by the thing, but what if that would have happened? Adopted childrens are often followed by psychologists (in civilized countries) that must decide if the adoption is a good thing or not; otherwise they are removed from the family. That situation itself represent a lot of stress for the adopting parents in normal conditions and i dont think they need a further source of stress
    from some bad marketing advisor.
    Last edited by Marzio; 05-26-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Rift Disciple

Not everything that's included in fiction is pivotal to the plot, but what you (bizaarely) don't seem to understand is that not every inclusion of an element in fiction is an endorsement of that behaviour. Julius Caesar is not a play about the benefits of political assassination. Portal 2's teasing of the protagonist is not making the statement that it's fun to tease orphans. The bad guys are doing that: the hero is the orphan. The message that's being sent is that you shouldn't feel bad about being an orphan, that people who do tease you about it are probably bad people, and that you should ignore them and get on with doing what you need to do. It's a positive message.

If you don't like the subject matter of fiction, stop reading it, playing it, watching it. You have the power to do that. Everything is a sensitive subject for someone: a film about the charming adventures of a lovely puppy could be pretty upsetting if your own puppy had just died. That's not a reason to ban the inclusion of puppies in fiction.

The best fiction explores difficult issues, it doesn't ignore or gloss over them.
    Last edited by Erex; 05-26-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Plane Touched

Indeed they explore difficult backgrounds by designing a conclusion to the plot that makes the protagonist overcome (or at least deal with) this initial difficulty but, from what i could find, it doesn't seem the case here.

Just like in Baldur's gate, you are the son of a demon and there are people trying to kill you for that (worse than being teased), in the end you face a conclusion to your adventures that is consistent with what your background was and the path you chose to follow.

So during the game you face several crossroads that let you analyze where you are from and let you choose what you want to be in the end and, even if being the son of a demon is showed as a bad thing, it is also showed that it doesn't necessary imply that you will blindly follow the same path.

If the whole story would have been that being an orphan is something that influences the development of the story and the final outcome, the quote would have been coherent with the plot but in the game it is used as an insult that should motivate the protagonist, as you can see here at min 6:08:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzZng7IHFow

Such a statement is so pointless that the following voice argues with who stated it, calling him a moron. This is just an excuse to emphasize that the bot is stupid but in the end is just a cheap shortcut that, imo, only shows bad taste. The game itself is fine but the statement is out of contest.

+ Reply to Thread