+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OMG this game totally ripped off D&D, just like everybody else...

Default OMG this game totally ripped off D&D, just like everybody else...

You know, I finally get it. The people who are all up in arms about RIFT being a clone or rip-off of other games, so far as I can tell, haven't been playing RPGs for the last 30 years. What this means is that when they see druids, they think "wow, druids are copied from warcraft", not "wow, druids have been in fantasy games since the late 70s".

The stuff we take for granted now -- hit points, levels, experience points, stats like "strength" and "intelligence"... none of this is new. Not in RIFT. Not in EQ. Not in WoW. They're all imitating stuff which existed before them. Yes, RIFT and WoW both have something called "Paladin". So did Wizardry. (Not "Wizardry I"; it wasn't called that until Wizardry II came out.) So did D&D.

This is nothing new; it's just what it means to be a game set in a genre. You pick up the genre conventions or people find the game uncomfortable and alien. So yes, warriors wear plate armor, just like in three million other games. Yes, rogues now use "combo points", because that was a fun mechanic.

The similarities are there because without them, people don't have enough of a sense of what they're doing to get into the game. This doesn't mean that RIFT is really exactly like WoW, or EQ, or WAR, or anything else; it means that they looked at what worked well in those games, and picked up a ton of those design elements so they could spend their design time on interesting stuff.

This is fine. It is not a problem, it is not a "lack of creativity", it's just how you do things if you want to make a game which is successful but has at least some room for doing interesting new things. Sure, you could go away from levels and XP, but a lot of people would find the game unfamiliar and less fun as a result.

Stop fussing about the alleged imitations, and look at the ways in which the staple characteristics of the genre have gotten adapted, changed, and revised.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Ascendant

D&D ripped off Tolkien, and Tolkien got most of his ideas from various folklore around the world.

Point being?
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

Point being it is the nature of the thing that there will be similarities between this game and other games, and there would be even if no one working on this game had ever seen those other games.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

If we're all influenced by our own society, how will us ever be able to actually create something *new*? With internet and thousand of books is nearly impossible. You can only create different lores, different ways of communication, travelling, but the mechanics will always be the same.
    CPU: i7-2600k @ 4.5 Ghz | GPU: GeForce 560 GTX Ti | RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz 7-9-7-24 | OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by LordOberon View Post
    D&D ripped off Tolkien, and Tolkien got most of his ideas from various folklore around the world.

Point being?
    Know how we can tell you only read the title?

The similarities are there because without them, people don't have enough of a sense of what they're doing to get into the game.
    QFT Seebs, Sadly people will still find reasons to berate Trion for using what has worked in the past.
    Last edited by Jaxx2112; 05-17-2011 at 11:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchews View Post
    Here's my thought.

If I spit in someone's face, and they go headbutt a boss and the spit gets on the boss, does the spit belong to me or the person that I spit on?

People say this game ripped off WoW in the actual way the game was designed, i.e. combat, UI, quest design, pace, endgame, pvp, etc.

Not because of the lore, or the subjective concepts.
    Existenz@Lotham
    <Excess>

Telaran

Don't forget that Warcraft did take some of its original lore (Orcs v. Humans) from Warhammer

Which I actually heard Warcraft was going to be a Warhammer game but something happened.

And for those of you who don't know Warhammer is a game based around armies of miniatures who fight each other.
    I was once on a vegetarian diet, I quit though. Turns out Vegetarians are harder to catch and kill than cows and the meat is too stringy.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrocosm93 View Post
    People say this game ripped off WoW in the actual way the game was designed, i.e. combat, UI, quest design, pace, endgame, pvp, etc.
    You mean the elements that are, in many cases, lifted directly from EQ or WAR or EQ2 or... Yeah, those elements.

Yeah, this game cloned some of WoW's interface choices. And some from elsewhere. And some that we can't tell, because WoW cloned them from elsewhere, so RIFT could be cloning either WoW or EQ or whatever.

But you know what? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The basic quest design and combat model work okay, they didn't need to be reinvented. Reinventing them would have made it much harder to get to working on the rift and invasion stuff, or the soul system. So I'm fine with using genre standards for some stuff.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Macrocosm93 View Post

Not because of the lore, or the subjective concepts.
    If anything, you could say Rift ripped off the MMORPG genre, because all MMORPGs have basically the same elements, but that wouldn't make sense now would it?

"OMG that guy stole my outfit! He's wearing clothes made out of the same material!"

Quote Originally Posted by Drgonstar View Post
    Don't forget that Warcraft did take some of its original lore (Orcs v. Humans) from Warhammer

Which I actually heard Warcraft was going to be a Warhammer game but something happened.

And for those of you who don't know Warhammer is a game based around armies of miniatures who fight each other.
    Warcraft was based off of Warhammer...Gamesworkshop wouldnt let them have the IP license, so they just ripped it off instead....gamesworkshop is probably still kicking themselves over that one.

I recall when EQ first came out and a buddy asked me to check it out and what was my first response...cool, so they made a way to play DnD online. God I wished DND online had been based on DnD.

and yeah...I had to color my own dice with a crayon.....went to the Isle of Dread and decimated the Keep on the Boarderlands and used to have a copy of the copyright violating Dieties and Demigods. (it had Cthulu monsters in it with stats, and Fafrhd the grey mouser world as well)
    In the dusts of hell Lurked the blackest of hates, For he who eats fear awaits you
    RIFT Mantra: Exploit Now and Exploit Often, You wont be punished!!

Sez

This thread is a rip off of an earlier thread of the same topic
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Telaran

I think its more similar to LotRO. The UI is almost a direct whole cloth copy. Crafting is 99% similar. Quest hubs also.

+ Reply to Thread