+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Projectors

Telaran

Default Projectors

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a fairly low cost projector to use for gaming and home cinema. My room is about 9ft across (small flat) and if possible would like it to be 3D ready. I'm in the UK so would be looking for projectors sub 500 if anyone has any advice on what to shop for, pitfalls to look out for etc?

Thanks in advance.

Rich Aemry

Make sure the projector you get has a 3D HDMI port instead of just a 120Hz input on DVI. If just the the DVI port is 3D then you won't be able to get 3D from anything but an Nvidia GPU and a 3D vision kit. I'm assuming you want to watch 3D Blu-Rays on a PS3 or the like, so 3D HDMI is essential.

TBH I'd get a rear projection DLP if I were you. They look better, and get absolutely HUGE for very little money. The TigerDirect down the street from here in TX had some 85 inch models for $800USD which is well with your budget. I could only fit the 72incher in my window. With a lift though, so that's what I chose for the upstairs and I paid $600USD. It left me change to play with a sound system too. That's my oppinion though and you don't have to agree with it.

When you go shopping you need to looks at the lumens the lamp puts out, higher is better. Weak lamps aren't going to work in a well lit room or even an average room during the day. Get and LED lamp too since you won't have to replace it all the damn time like a halide. Get a good screen, and budget that in. I prefer to build my own, and use silver movie paint on streched muslin mounted on the wall, but my in-laws own a coating business so I can do that easier than most.

Get it from a reputable brand over there. Here I'm a fan of Viewsonic and Sony. They are also available in the UK, there are more elite brands but you're budget precludes them. the unknown brands are usually unknown for a reason, though just b/c you don't know them doesn't mean they are unknown.

Get a DLP system. The other technologies aren't as good at this point in time, and you'll regret choosing them IMO.

That's all I got. Ask if you need more.

Telaran

Thanks for the advice

Telaran

Checking the DLP rear projections units, they are too big for my room unfortunately. The advantage of a projector would be a large screen area - with a portable screen - with a very small footprint. I have a 32in HDTV which I use as my PC monitor and that alone is big enough to be intrusive.

Been doing a trawl through some information sites and it's really interesting stuff. I think my 500 budget wont cut the ice if I want a true home cinema/gaming setup. To be fully HD with 7.1 sound and a decent screen I'm looking at over 1000. Which isn't that bad considering what you end up with.

I guess this is one of those things that if you want something worthwhile you need to at least throw some reasonable money at it.

Beard stroking time for me

Rich Aemry

By DLP setup, I meant if you get a projector get a DLP projector. DLP is a type of projector, it can be a stand alone front projector, or a rear projection TV.

Either way it's the only way to get a high quality large picture IMO.

Rich Aemry

As for sound: if you want to do it right don't get a boxed surround sound kit. Get a pair of good tower speakers with 3 cones, 2-4 satellites, a dual cone center, a sub, and a good receiver with HDMI pass-though and an internal preamplifier.

5.1 is all you need right now, and really you don't even need that for music and movies. A really good stereo still does that better. Most movies are converted to surround sound after the fact, and music is almost all stereo. Gaming though is so much better in surround that you won't ever want to live without it again.

Games use 5.1 so its best that way, but get the towers for music and movies. Gaming in surround will let you hear that dirty rouge trying to sneak up on you, and you can turn and gank him first.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aemry View Post
    Gaming in surround will let you hear that dirty rouge trying to sneak up on you, and you can turn and gank him first.
    Stopped reading at "rouge"

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-quot-Campaign

Proudly hitching dreams to stars for over fifty years!

Telaran

My current sound is 5.1 with a jerry built system. I have a friend who has a full THX certified home cinema setup in his living room with a 12ft screen. He has more speakers than I have bricks in my wall and they are all hard wired into the house. Crazy.

DLP rear projection, by this you mean the projector sits behind the screen and, presumably, projects onto a special rear projection screen rather than a standard projection screen? Also, wont the image be reversed?

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
    Meh. Typed it on a phone, and this isn't my first language, or my second for that matter.

Why do you care?

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhawk12 View Post
    My current sound is 5.1 with a jerry built system. I have a friend who has a full THX certified home cinema setup in his living room with a 12ft screen. He has more speakers than I have bricks in my wall and they are all hard wired into the house. Crazy.

DLP rear projection, by this you mean the projector sits behind the screen and, presumably, projects onto a special rear projection screen rather than a standard projection screen? Also, wont the image be reversed?
    A DLP TV is a rear projection. It's backwards, yes so that the image comes out properly on the screen. The projector is in the back and there is a slightly translucent screen at the front which the image is projected on too. All DLP TVs are built this way. You can build one this way yourself, but like you said you don't have room. The advantage or rear projection is people don't walk in front of it and screw with your image.

When you get a front projector it should also be a DLP since it's the best consumer grade tech available currently. If you have the wherewithal build your own screen: Use canvas or muslin with white wash or silver theatric screen paint.

You should invest in wireless display tech so you can mount your projector to the ceiling without cables everywhere. This GPU has it built in and I'd this to bridge the consoles

There will be some awesome new tech the size of a flash drive sometime this year that will eliminate the need for either of those, but ETA is as of yet unknown though it's been shown off quite a bit.

Telaran

I definitely want an LED projector. It will be seeing very heavy usage and I dont want to have the major cost of replacing the lamp. I'd prefer 3D compatibility but with my budget its probably unrealistic to put it as a must have. I doubt I can go full 1080p since the cheapest one I could find was around 750. I can make do with 720p.

DLP from what I read seems to be the way to go. I got the impression that currently wireless tech doesnt have the bandwidth to support full motion video? I can live with the cabling anyway. There's just me here so I dont have to worry about kids/dogs/random people falling over cables.

I'll probably get a screen second hand or use my wall for now.

I've been trying to find some demo videos on you-tube but they are all too low resolution to be any good. Good advice here thanks.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhawk12 View Post
    DLP from what I read seems to be the way to go. I got the impression that currently wireless tech doesnt have the bandwidth to support full motion video? I can live with the cabling anyway. There's just me here so I dont have to worry about kids/dogs/random people falling over cables.
    If you looked at those ones I linked, they have more than enough bandwidth now. The Intel stuff is laggy as hell, but the WHDI stuff backed my AMIMON is the real deal. I've seen them demoed, and was absolutely blown away.

+ Reply to Thread