+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously enough with WoW terminology

Soulwalker

Default Seriously enough with WoW terminology

People need to stop using terms from WoW in Rift. I never played WoW and it is pretty sad. On my server everyone calls the auctioneer, AH or auction House. People also call warfronts- battlegrounds. I never played WoW and I find it sad that people bring WoW terms to other games. I don't say in trade channel "this item is now for sale in East Commonlands or in the bazaar!

Shadowlander

Default Ehm

I never played WoW either, but I accept that people talk about it in game, since many have played it. I don't like when people compare boss strats to strats they have previously used in WoW, but then again it might help others in the group understand it better...

But seriously, the Auction House is the Auction House, the guy who accepts stuff is the Auctioneer, that has nothing to do with WoW, even the Devs call it that in the patch notes (and many other games have called it that too). And if you say Battlegrounds, people will still get what you mean... Why be mad about that if not for the sake of trolling...

Rift Disciple

Yea, I have to say that AH or auction house is the appropriate RIFT terminology. Not really sure what your complaint is there.

As for battlegrounds, as long as you understand what they mean why does it really matter. We make fun of people (in a nice way) that call it that but just to pick on them. I know I still call them scens or scenarios a lot because I came from warhammer. It's not like people are trying to force you to use WoW terminology.

As long as people understand each other, they don't have the need to change their languages. Of course I am more comfortable saying "I am a damage dealer(DD)" than "I am a damage per second(DPS)".
    You are not Cazic Thule, name calling doesn't do you any good.

It is hard to break a habit. You also have to take into consideration that some of these players have been playing WoW for years. I, myself, was in the WoW beta and use these terminology, not because I play WoW, but because this is what I associate to these specific in game objects.

You also seem to have no issue of understanding what they are talking about.

Also, Trion themselves say "We're not in Azeroth anymore", guess what game Azeroth is from? You guessed it, WoW.

What a free sig? Message me!

Soulwalker

The developers used wow style interface conventions in the production and design of the game - it was intended to be an easy game for veteran/novice wow players to use without learning new metaphors.

Deal with it.

A lot of it isn't so much wow terminology as MMO terminology...AH predates wow as does lfm/lfg/heals/dps/tank/port/zerg/tank&spank/etc/etc..

Gamer terminology follows a similar line as militairy terminology..usually becoming abreviations or some form of shortening of the name.
    And Shepard's we shall be for thee my lord for thee, power hath descendant forth from thy hand, may our feet swiftly carry on thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be

In nomeni Patri et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

I sort of know what you mean but there is also a lot of rpg terminology which I think there should be a glossary somewhere..
    Last edited by kronan; 05-17-2011 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jatayu View Post
    People need to stop using terms from WoW in Rift. I never played WoW and it is pretty sad. On my server everyone calls the auctioneer, AH or auction House. People also call warfronts- battlegrounds. I never played WoW and I find it sad that people bring WoW terms to other games. I don't say in trade channel "this item is now for sale in East Commonlands or in the bazaar!
    You do realize WoW wasn't the first game to use abbreviations right ?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
    Last edited by Raiga; 05-17-2011 at 02:25 AM.
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

I have never heard about "butchering", I sometime mispell it like "skin that mob", "I'm a skinner". I understand you may say skin is used in WoW, but the meaning remain the same. If I say "I'm a butcher" it's more like the one who sells you the pork guts.

Just like Apple: they accused more than once other HW producers to call their components apple-like. Well, just even "Apple"... I mean, it's a fruit, it's mad to ask people not to call things like they are. I'd call my apple the pearle just to avoid calling it with its name.

Battlegrounds... the meaning of the word is "grounds where you fight", at least this is the meaning I give to it. Is it wrong? No, Warfronts are... battlegrounds. If you complain about people calling them battlegrounds instead of warftonts, it's like saying H2O is not water
    CPU: i7-2600k @ 4.5 Ghz | GPU: GeForce 560 GTX Ti | RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz 7-9-7-24 | OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by elegos87 View Post
    I have never heard about "butchering", I sometime mispell it like "skin that mob", "I'm a skinner". I understand you may say skin is used in WoW, but the meaning remain the same. If I say "I'm a butcher" it's more like the one who sells you the pork guts.

Just like Apple: they accused more than once other HW producers to call their components apple-like. Well, just even "Apple"... I mean, it's a fruit, it's mad to ask people not to call things like they are. I'd call my apple the pearle just to avoid calling it with its name.

Battlegrounds... the meaning of the word is "grounds where you fight", at least this is the meaning I give to it. Is it wrong? No, Warfronts are... battlegrounds. If you complain about people calling them battlegrounds instead of warftonts, it's like saying H2O is not water
    ^---This---^
    Last edited by Raiga; 05-17-2011 at 02:32 AM.
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Banned

I'm with you friend.. regardless what the WoW fanbois say.. The Auctioneer isn't even in a house.. EQ1 used the term bazaar.. etc etc.. If I never played WoW and only played Rift or others, I would be confused to know what bg means.. I took my blinders off when I canceled "that" other game.. Obviously some haven't.. As I and others have said, so many WoW refugees have come here to Rift to roost and turn Rift more and more into WoW with each patch.. It's why I will not be resubbing.. Good Luck

Shadowlander

i think you find that the Terminology exists in multiple game and not just from wow, that game is not the end all of everything btw, you do know that dont you?

Telaran

how to call the AH ? RAH (rift auction house) ?

Ascendant

On my server everyone calls the auctioneer, AH or auction House.
    That predates WOW by years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast