+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Little Monsters in RIFT?

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I have not found this to be the case. The music from 20-30 years ago that you can still find is the best of the best of the best. It's frequently excellent, but... For every song you can still buy on CD from 20-30 years ago, there were a thousand or so that were unlistenable crap.
    That's more what I mean. Crap music is made in all ages, but when I compare the best of then to the best of now, I find it somewhat wanting (except in the category Showtunes, which are timeless). I don't see artists nowadays that challenge the likes of Bowie, or Pink Floyd, or or or I'm going to stop right now before I take up a page of it. I just take the best these guys put out, and I can't find a match.

The best of modern music is amazing.
    No doubt. It's just...less.

My #1 criterion for listening to performers is that it sounds like they care about the music.

That said... She's probably one of the most skilled singers I know of. There are a lot of good singers out there who can do some particular style well; she's got more flexibility than nearly any of them. Anyone who can convincingly sound like Cyndi Lauper in one song, Elton John in another, and Ann Wilson in another, is a very skilled singer.
    Skill doesn't mean so much to me anymore. With the advent of modern technology, it's almost a marvel when someone doesn't sound perfect (or adequate). It's all about the music, and that's what I feel is lacking. I can probably count on one hand the performers I know that can belt out, "I'M AN ALLIGATOR!" and make me believe it.

ANYONE
    in confusion about Gaga's abilities should watch her acoustic performances. I think those are better than her actual album numbers.
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

I'm not sure it's really less amazing. It's less likely to amaze me, but then, I've seen a lot more stuff now than I had in the 80s.

I suspect that 30 years out, there will not be a huge perceived gap between the quality of music in the 70s and 80s than the quality of music in the 00s and 10s. By then, they'll both be old classics.

And the fact is... Much though I love Pink Floyd, Piper at the Gates of Dawn is far, far, from their best work. In many cases, we're looking at the first album or two by people who might be producing music for another 30 years.

We'll see. A lot of modern stuff does more for my sense of musical aesthetics than nearly anything from the 70s and 80s, even though that was the music that was formative for me. (Heck, I think I still have more Pink Floyd than anything else in... no, wait. I have more Zappa, although if we throw out the experiments which came out unlistenable, I think I have more Floyd...)
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Ascendant

This always comes up in these kinds of threads. The older generation always says the younger generation's music is not as good but it is, to that generation.

Our parent's say it about our stuff, we say it about our kids stuff. Give me 80s rock any day over today's stuff.

My son will be lamenting over the hip hop of the 90s-2000s in 20 years.

It's all good to somebody, just not everybody.

Classical and blues are timeless because it's the raw heart of music. Everything you hear has one or the other at it's core.

Even if you don't play an instrument, read some books on blues and modal structure and you will start to see it.

It's important to understand the blues.

Excerpt:
    5. Blues cars are Chevies and Cadillacs. Blues don't travel in no Volvos, Beamers, Soccer-Mum 4-wheel drives or Sport Utility Vehicles. Other acceptable blues transportation is Greyhound bus, hearse, or a southbound train. Walkin' plays a major part in the blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die - although the latter does not always involve transport.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    It's important to understand the blues.

Excerpt:
    5. Blues cars are Chevies and Cadillacs. Blues don't travel in no Volvos, Beamers, Soccer-Mum 4-wheel drives or Sport Utility Vehicles. Other acceptable blues transportation is Greyhound bus, hearse, or a southbound train. Walkin' plays a major part in the blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die - although the latter does not always involve transport.
    ...I wrote a song about it, wanna hear it? Goes something like this....

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Arielle View Post
    ...I wrote a song about it, wanna hear it? Goes something like this....
    Oh so close! But it's:

wrote a song about it. Wanna hear it? Here it go...

That is, if you were quoting from In Living Color.

I hope my musical tastes evolve while also claiming root in the music I am growing up in. I don't want to be a middle-aged man moaning about the good old days of Gaga. :P I want to watch how she influences future pop artists, and how those pop artists influence the pop artists for my children. Pop being popular, not necessarily the "pop" genre. I look forward to seeing how it all evolves.
    Last edited by HolyHookerJuju; 06-02-2011 at 01:38 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jojormitar - Bahmi Elementalist/Pyromancer - Faeblight (RP! )

to me gaga is madonna 20 years ago.I like her music and at the end of the day thats all that really matters is what i like.she not prefect butshes defintly different and brave and ballsy.
    she does her own thing,and what she does is always crazy fun,funny,thought provoking.whether its good thoughts or bad thoughts it depends on the person.
    I find her stuff catchy and good and different and it works for me.

Ascendant

Lady Gaga is the Slayer of pop music. She plays a role to the hilt and does it extremely well. As seebs said, she is a great musician and a good singer (very interesting to check out her stuff before she assumed the "Lady Gaga" persona. She wrote some very cool bluesy, soulful piano stuff. Anyways much like Slayer who for years played up their whole "we are evil, satanic and look how brutal and cartoonishly violent are albums are!" despite the fact that half of them are catholic and all very nice non satanic people. And like Lady Gaga they are great musicians.

I'd have to say I am not a huge fan of her stuff cause I think alot of times she goes to far, but then again I often felt the same way about Slayer. Unless you are not going to take yourself seriously at all (like say Gwar) then its pretty tough to walk that line without falling over on one side or the other.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Soulwalker

Talented musician making talentless music to sell to brainless club thumping idiots.
    Damn shame it really is.

"Oh she's so original" No Madonna and countless others where doing it a long time before her.
    "OMG She's so brave" No she just knows that idiots with low self esteem will buy records focused on "being your yourself and being different is okay "
    "She's just like me" Not really, unless you came form a wealthy family and you act like you had a hard life to get droves of other idiots that also think they have hard lives to follow you like a god..
    "her music speaks to me" I'm sure it does, it's written to your demographic to sell.

She's brilliant form a business standpoint.
    Seriously why do people idolize people like this?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5