+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bootcamp Performance Issue

Soulwalker

Default Bootcamp Performance Issue

I posted this in the Tech Support forum but it would appear no one checks that so I'll try it here.

I'm currently running RIFT over bootcamp on my iMac. The game runs OK but I have to lower a bunch of the settings as well turn off some of the more technical options in order to see a consistant frame rate. I feel as though I should be able to run the game better so I'm hoping you guys could help me out.

Here are the specs of my iMac:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB

I am running it on Windows XP home edition 32bit. Would getting Windows 7 help at all? Also, just to give you an idea of how I'm running the game, I have most of the settings on low to medium and I still see some fram rate issues.

Why are you running Windows in 32bit mode? You won't even get your full memory.
    CPU: i7-2600k @ 4.5 Ghz | GPU: GeForce 560 GTX Ti | RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz 7-9-7-24 | OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by elegos87 View Post
    Why are you running Windows in 32bit mode? You won't even get your full memory.
    I know, and that was one of my concerns. It's all I had when I ran bootcamp though. I was thinking of getting Windows 7 but only if it would help.

Well, I'd say:

1. CPU is fine, it's a quad core @ 2.8 Ghz (ok, it's not that fast, but it's not slow either) and it has a good cache

2. I don't know ATi GFX cards, but I'd let you notice:
    2.1. PCI-e card... does it mean it's not PCI Express 2.0?
    2.2. 512 MB of G-RAM... while I always argue 1GB is still too much for general purpose, 512 MB cards usually are not that performant, but I'll be confirmed/not confirmed only by who knows more about me about this.

2. I'd rise the RAM to 8 GB if possible, just to avoid Windows starting using the swap mechanics. While 8 GB is too much, 4 GB is getting tight for Windows 7 if you're running a browser, rift and some tools (at least it happens with me)
    Last edited by elegos87; 05-16-2011 at 05:59 AM.
    CPU: i7-2600k @ 4.5 Ghz | GPU: GeForce 560 GTX Ti | RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz 7-9-7-24 | OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Banned

If it helps at all in regards to the GPU
    I replaced the 4850 almost 2 years ago now, that might be part of it.

I've also heard that you're going to have a somehwat significant drop in preformance running a game through bootcamp. Correct me if I'm wrong (i'll be throwing Boot onmy my MacBook pro here in a couple weeks to run the game while I'm traveling, so I would really like ot know just how bad it can be)

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by elegos87 View Post
    Well, I'd say:

1. CPU is fine, it's a quad core @ 2.8 Ghz (ok, it's not that fast, but it's not slow either) and it has a good cache

2. I don't know ATi GFX cards, but I'd let you notice:
    2.1. PCI-e card... does it mean it's not PCI Express 2.0?
    2.2. 512 MB of G-RAM... while I always argue 1GB is still too much for general purpose, 512 MB cards usually are not that performant, but I'll be confirmed/not confirmed only by who knows more about me about this.

2. I'd rise the RAM to 8 GB if possible, just to avoid Windows starting using the swap mechanics. While 8 GB is too much, 4 GB is getting tight for Windows 7 if you're running a browser, rift and some tools (at least it happens with me)
    512MB VRAM is too low if he's running one of those monster res monitors.

+ Reply to Thread