+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone here play Asheron's Call back in the day?

Soulwalker

Default Anyone here play Asheron's Call back in the day?

And what do you think of its pvp/skill system today compared to Rift?

I loved Asheron's more than any other MMO so far. Scaled for graphics and control of course. Is that just because it was my most experienced MMO or do others who've kept up with all the modern ones feel the same?

Soulwalker

I did! Rift has a lot of similarities. Not so much in skill tree but in nuance. Do you know where all the AC people in Rift are playing? I heard they went to Seastone.

Frostfell! Best MMO ever and it's not even close. If only the skill based model of UO and AC had triumphed over what I refer to (perhaps unfairly) as the "EQ Model." I keep holding out some kind of hope that Turbine will update the game...really this time..unlike the totally different AC2.

Trion is really blowing it in one regard. If ever there was a game that could pick up the flag of live events with GM controlled heores/villains from AC2, this is it.
    Last edited by Sleestak; 06-02-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Rand

Soulwalker

Frostfell as well. I still tell everyone that it was the best mmo I ever played. I actually tried going back to it a few months ago, but the controls and interface were just too dated. I could handle the graphics, but the controls/interface in a game like Rift are top notch. I really hope Turbine will revisit AC in the future. LotRO and DDO are both really good also.

Quote Originally Posted by Drahke View Post
    Frostfell as well. I still tell everyone that it was the best mmo I ever played. I actually tried going back to it a few months ago, but the controls and interface were just too dated. I could handle the graphics, but the controls/interface in a game like Rift are top notch. I really hope Turbine will revisit AC in the future. LotRO and DDO are both really good also.
    Yeah, was the issue I had when I tried to go back as well. But at least Turbine is updating it regularly, and I even heard there was yet another new race being added.

Soulwalker

Oh yeah, it was like a whole new game when I was making a character. I couldn't believe you could choose so many different races.

AC was my first MMO love and I am still baffled that no one borrowed so many unique features it implemented (like the best loot system ever).

AS far as PvP goes, I think Turbine did it right.

PvP in MMOs today needs to be on a separate server and WYSIWYG.

No changes or alterations to the game mechanic from PvE.

Trying to customize PvP in an MMO is pointless - 95% of the people that play PvP in an MMO will quit within 6 months - in the end you end up with 1 or 2 servers worth. They have a very short attention span and can get a better ePeen fix via consoles without paying the monthly subscription.

+ Reply to Thread