+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 119

Thread: 48/2(9+3)=?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default 48/2(9+3)=?

    I haven't seen this posted here yet... tell me if I missed it. Probably a lot of you have already seen it it elsewhere...

    But what's the answer?

    48/2(9+3)=2

    or

    48/2(9+3)=288


    After seeing the debate elsewhere, I'm kinda interest to see how the debate evolves/devolves amongst the Rift community.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    It's been posted before and the correct answer is 2.

  3. #3
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    44

    Default

    The answer is 288. It takes a lot of fail sauce to get the answer 2 out of it.

    Like the poster above...

  4. #4
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Since I can't edit anymore, the rule that applies is called multiplication by Juxtaposition.

    48/2(9+3)=x
    48/2(12) = x

    The rule of juxtaposition tells us 48/2(12) = 48/(2*12)

    48/24 = x
    2=x

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Wolfram Alpha says 288

    Naturally so. As rules of operations are:

    Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses.
    Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.
    Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.
    How can this be such a hard question to be understood? Do they not even teach basic math in school anymore?
    OS: Win7 64bit Ultimate
    CPU: Intel i7-920 2.67GHz
    GFX: MSI Nvidia Geforce NGTX480
    MOBO: EVGA FTW3 x58 Edition
    RAM: 3x2GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
    HDD: 2x1TB Samsung F3 7200RPM HDD
    Opt.Drive: Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner
    PSU: XFX 850w
    Casing: XCLIO Windtunnel

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    0

    Default The answer is 2

    The answer is 2
    elementary math teaches
    Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally
    mathmatics works in this order
    Parenthesis Exponents Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction.
    Therefore you do the 9+3 first because its in parenthesis
    then you multiply by 2 because you always multiply before dividing which makes 24
    and 48 divided by 24 = 2

  7. #7
    Soulwalker Thunderkitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Ahhh...

    Good ol' BODMAS

    Now with Comic Sans!

    Personally I'm terrible at maths and my answers would probably be neither 2 nor 288 I'm that bad.
    My, that's a big one you've got there.

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Konk View Post
    The answer is 2
    elementary math teaches
    Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally
    mathmatics works in this order
    Parenthesis Exponents Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction.
    Therefore you do the 9+3 first because its in parenthesis
    then you multiply by 2 because you always multiply before dividing which makes 24
    and 48 divided by 24 = 2
    Again, as I just posted... multiplication and division are done from left to right, just as addition and subtraction. The only non-parallel priority are between P, MD, and AS as groups.

    48/2(9+3)

    9+3 = 12

    48/2(12) = 24(12)

    24(12)=288

    There is no argument, this is the only proper answer. It was taught in basic math, to say otherwise IS fail.
    OS: Win7 64bit Ultimate
    CPU: Intel i7-920 2.67GHz
    GFX: MSI Nvidia Geforce NGTX480
    MOBO: EVGA FTW3 x58 Edition
    RAM: 3x2GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
    HDD: 2x1TB Samsung F3 7200RPM HDD
    Opt.Drive: Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner
    PSU: XFX 850w
    Casing: XCLIO Windtunnel

  9. #9
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Konk View Post
    The answer is 2
    elementary math teaches
    Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally
    mathmatics works in this order
    Parenthesis Exponents Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction.
    Therefore you do the 9+3 first because its in parenthesis
    then you multiply by 2 because you always multiply before dividing which makes 24
    and 48 divided by 24 = 2
    You're right and wrong. The answer is 2, but order of operations priority is shared equally between Multiplication and division.

    The answer is 2 because 2(9+2) is what is known as juxtaposition. There is no operation sign, the 2 is juxtaposed onto the (9+2) meaning you have 2 of whatever is in the brackets. To assume the absence of an operation instantly means multiplication is a fallacy.

    48/2x = 48/(2*x)

  10. #10
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Emperor View Post
    Again, as I just posted... multiplication and division are done from left to right, just as addition and subtraction. The only non-parallel priority are between P, MD, and AS as groups.

    48/2(9+3)

    9+3 = 12

    48/2(12) = 24(12)

    24(12)=288

    There is no argument, this is the only proper answer. It was taught in basic math, to say otherwise IS fail.
    48/2(9+3) is NOT equal to 48/2*(9+3)

    48/2(9+3) = 2
    48/2*(9+3) = 288

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Konk View Post
    then you multiply by 2 because you always multiply before dividing which makes 24
    and 48 divided by 24 = 2
    This is a common misconception, no matter which acronym you use multiplication and division do not take precedence of one or the other, they are of equal footing so to speak..

    For example you're quoting PEMDAS, which as you say lists Multiplication before Division, but many others (and indeed the post below you) will quote BODMAS which puts division before multiplication.. they can't both be right!?

    In reality, the order of operations is (and each individual line indicates the same level of precedence)..

    Parenthesis or Brackets
    Exponents or Orders
    Multiplication or Division
    Addition or Subtraction.

  12. #12
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    48/2(9+3) is NOT equal to 48/2*(9+3)

    48/2(9+3) = 2
    48/2*(9+3) = 288
    It is equal as such, as X(Y+Z) is always Y+Z = A which X(A). You don't like it, change the math books.
    OS: Win7 64bit Ultimate
    CPU: Intel i7-920 2.67GHz
    GFX: MSI Nvidia Geforce NGTX480
    MOBO: EVGA FTW3 x58 Edition
    RAM: 3x2GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
    HDD: 2x1TB Samsung F3 7200RPM HDD
    Opt.Drive: Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner
    PSU: XFX 850w
    Casing: XCLIO Windtunnel

  13. #13
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Emperor View Post
    It is equal as such, as X(Y+Z) is always Y+Z = A which X(A). You don't like it, change the math books.
    All my math books will go on to say that X(A) then equals (X*A), and that you can't simpy vaporize the brackets and assume multiplication. Look it up, juxtaposition.

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    All my math books will go on to say that X(A) then equals (X*A), and that you can't simpy vaporize the brackets and assume multiplication. Look it up, juxtaposition.
    Indeed, but there is no actual rule to state that multiplication by juxtaposition must be done prior to all other operations, it has no higher precedence than explicit multiplication.. the juxtaposition is merely that it's implied by virtue of being directly outside the parenthesis and the absence of the multiplication notation ie. a x or *
    Last edited by Swampster; 05-10-2011 at 11:01 AM.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    All my math books will go on to say that X(A) then equals (X*A), and that you can't simpy vaporize the brackets and assume multiplication. Look it up, juxtaposition.
    I don't know what math books you're reading, but as someone that's never gotten anything less than at least an A- in math from elementary to highschool and does math classes in college just to increase my GPA, I can say with certainty you and they are wrong. X(4+3) is still 7X, because the parenthesis automatically symbolize multiplication when there's no other operation sign to differentiate.

    Wolfram Alpha even says you're wrong, on top of any calculator as well.

    PARENTHESIS FIRST, PERIOD.
    Last edited by Omega Emperor; 05-10-2011 at 10:59 AM.
    OS: Win7 64bit Ultimate
    CPU: Intel i7-920 2.67GHz
    GFX: MSI Nvidia Geforce NGTX480
    MOBO: EVGA FTW3 x58 Edition
    RAM: 3x2GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
    HDD: 2x1TB Samsung F3 7200RPM HDD
    Opt.Drive: Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner
    PSU: XFX 850w
    Casing: XCLIO Windtunnel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts