+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: How PvP works in GW2.

Rift Disciple

Why should anyone make a game just like another game?

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious0101 View Post
    lol u guys must all feel proud going on a f2p game and kill kids 24/7 , which is what guild wars majority audiance was ;D . but u go girls
    At least those kids can't use inferior gear as an excuse when they get ganked.

You might be right about the number of kids though. Never seen any other game community use the word "noob" as much as i did in GW, while i played the random arena.
    I hope that will be better in GW2, since you'll only play with people from one server.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler85 View Post
    Take a look Trion, or else GW2 will be like "All your subs are belong to me".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4VKhrCDWfg
    Sieges, sorry Trion but when GW2 comes out and you guys don't have sieging or new PVP ideas in place
    Game History: Diablo, Ultima Online, Dark Ages of Camelot, Age of Conan, ShadowBane, Darkfall Online, Rift

Playdohz[UDA]
    RevAcid[UDA]

WTB: gw2 pvp!
    CENTURION BRODSTER THE MARKSMEN MASTER

I'll most definitely playing this just for rvrvr. That sounds extremely fun.
    <The Unnamed> GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/11
    Lace - Whitefall- R8 Warrior
    Mythril - Whitefall- R8 Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious0101 View Post
    lol damn!
    /10damns

pvp for the sake of pvp, is boring, was boring in gw1, global agenda and so on. what makes gw2 so diferent?

(and ofc all the kids around doesnt help also)
    Someone who enjoys pvp doesn't need another reason. They want to test themselves against other players, not some npc that's going to do the same damn thing again and again. Now you give mobs some random skills, code them to move out of aoes, code them to ignore the guy with high armor/health and go for the squishy dealing out the pain and ...you have most of the npc from gw1 so yeah.

I don't even care if I get rewards from pvp. The only thing I want to do is be able to match the gear my opponents have. If they give you that, there is no reason to ever do pve. Sometimes pve can be fun, I like the scavenger hunt quest out of lh for example.

Anyway this idea of "I'm going to pvp reward me for it" is silly. The reward is in seeing your opponent beaten. Getting them all mad because you are better. Not your gear is better, not your class is currently FOTM, you win because YOU are better. Maybe you are faster, maybe you planned better, hell maybe you just got lucky. Winning is what it's supposed to be about. Take an Olympic athlete. Do you think they get more from winning, or from getting an award? O.k., I will admit some get more from an award, BUT you know there are many that train hard to win. In the end PvP is a competition, and I want to win.

I'm just going to go do some Minecraft PVP where I can kill the guy, take his stuff, and wipe his house off the map... only to go home and realize someone did the same to me...

To me, the message is clear... Trion needs to take all of this into account and start stealing some ideas

I'm not sure why it's so difficult to set up a few contested zones and give the players some motivation to fight over them. In the end you still can't go in and blow up Meridian, but there would be some persistent objective in the world that was worth fighting for that people would want to rally behind... Granted there is still PVP vs PVE balancing, but it would be something anyway.

Random stuff that jumps in my brain while trying to work...
    I was thinking about Nether portals in Minecraft and thought it would be cool to see something like that in Rift... Basically a series of hidden shadow portals that would take you to a replica of the world, sort of like an alternate reality where an all out war was going on, guards wouldn't be overpowered and you could take actual cities and have rifts that actually had some sort of lasting impact... Imagine if the cities all had a regular guards and your faction would do PVP type missions, quests, or just kills that would give you currency that could be spent to upgrade a town's guards, defenses, offenses. Something that the players could actually build up and rebuild after the opposing faction demolished... this is one of those, "never going to happen" ideas, but it's fun to think about when you are bored off your *** at work.
    Baby Tartagon

Ascendant

Their world PVP thing is awesome, do want that in Rift. (But with just 2 factions I don't know how they'd do it... The whole point of 3 teams is that if 1 team is superior it takes middle and the other 2 teams have no other choice than ganging'up on them ). With just 2 factions, if one is superior the faction getting owned will just leave, if they can't get more people.

Not a fan of their arena mode tho.
    I enjoy both PVE and PVP, and I wouldn't be that thrilled about a pvp mode where everyone has the same gear/level right at the start. When I want to do that, I play an FPS.

The MMO idea, at least for me, is all about getting more and more powerfull.
    If you already start at 100% of the power you can ever get in the game, then It's no more no less than an FPS, with abilities and classes. But FPS have classes too now.

That being said, Trion think of a way to implement something similar to their world pvp thing!
    People have been talking about battlekeep forever on these forums, and I guess it would be a good start... But if there was a way to ensure there will never be any "complete domination" where a team just doesn't fight anymore, so the battle is over... It would obvioulsy be for the best.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Arcshayde View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic, but the interview had plenty of the same speculation and vague promises that every single game developer makes in regards to pvp.
    At least somebody gets it. I can't wait to see the GW2 forums after a month or two ...

Quote Originally Posted by Riftspike View Post
    The reward is in seeing your opponent beaten. Getting them all mad because you are better. Not your gear is better, not your class is currently FOTM, you win because YOU are better.
    I wish I could give you +Internet for real. But you can have an imaginary internet meme for being a real PvPer.
    Last edited by Treras; 05-10-2011 at 12:32 PM.
    Isz on other, unreleased MMOs :

"Enjoy buying another $60 box for forum access to the next thing to complain about"
    About right, ayuh.

Rift Master

GW just did themselves a big favor by finally going back to the 3 realm, persistent DAoC style battle ground.

BIG BIG BIG favor.
    Lewk- Prestige Rank 50 Rogue of Sunrest

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler85 View Post
    Take a look Trion, or else GW2 will be like "All your subs are belong to me".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4VKhrCDWfg
    Wow finally a game that gets pvp, that incorporates the DAOC template of keeps and taking over areas etc etc... I had hopes that Rift would eventually grow into this type of game and still do, at least for another 4 mo till my 6 mo subscription is due.
    Remove all PVP from PVE servers . they're not PVP'rs , they are the bane of PVP'rs and PVP servers .
    Remove WF's from PVE servers, because they suck at pvp and as a result cause unjust nerfs to classes .
    No new instanced PVP , give us world PVP objectives. do not add arena's or more WF's please .
    Make all PVP gear craftable and get rid of the WF faction vendors .

pvp isnt suppose to be about gear . pve is suppose to be about gear ...and grinding that same ****ty instance over and over again for that gear .
    pvp is suppose to be about the other part of the game ...war and hatred for the opposite faction .
    and pve servers are for the players who don't want to be a part of the war
    Stylianfire member of Saga Briarcliff PvP/US Server

Just watched that video, looks pretty awsome to me.

Rift Chaser

The PvP looks awesome, especially the World PvP. Too bad the class system is a joke. They actually whined about the possibility of 100 different class combinations that made the first game fun. I think I'll stick here and hope they come up with a viable world PvP system. I don't care how good the PvP is, if you've only got a couple of options for classes and specs the game sucks.

Soulwalker

Definitely excited about GW2. The 3-sided PvP should be a welcome change. I played WarHammer Online for awhile because their RvR looked amazing, but on the server I chose our side was constantly out-numbered so we never won and that was a major turn off.

I saw some people saying GW2 is going to just be 24/7 RvR with no purpose, but I've read that the side that is winning gets some PvE buffs for their entire server, so it's not entirely there just for fun. For those who need some kind of reward there is one for the winning side.

as has been stated, guild wars has no world PvP. that's an instanced, segregated, and only semi-persistent, as it does reset and rotate weekly according to the video.

removing gear from the equation is something i hated about GW's PvP, that they're still relying on it for structured PvP is disappointing. yes, easier to balance and a level playing field, but at the heavy, heavy, heavy cost of customization. and without customization, we're left with an FPS with inferior mechanics.

i'll give it a fair shot, but i don't think it's going to turn out very well.

edit lawl html tag
    Last edited by Corian; 05-11-2011 at 04:42 PM.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast