+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is someone's opinion always valid?

Default Is someone's opinion always valid?

Ok, heres one thats been bothering me for a long time... Is someone's opinion always valid, and are they always entitled to it?

I mean, and I am not talking about these boards at all, just life in general (to be clear), but I hear a lot of people saying (no matter how ill educated or ill informed on the subject they are) that they have a 'right' to an opinion... And that just dosent make sense to me.

If i don't know much about something, I sit, listen, ask questions, and attempt to learn something, whereas others I have seen seem to think they have a 'human right' to be an equal with others on all subjects... It's crazy in my eyes.

What do others think? Am i alone?? :P

I think that everybody has a right to their own opinion on subjects that are in fact subjective. Otherwise no, there is right and wrong and opinions mean nothing.

It is politically correct that everyone's opinion be held valid, but in terms of realism that is never usually so. Some opinions are foolish, others antagonistic, and others are the opposite and are intuitive. Just as with everything, there are good opinions and there are bad opinions. To disallow people from voicing their opinions is authoritarian, but to say every person's opinion is correct, is untrue.

It's up for the observer to decide if the opinions they hear are correct or not, however some just agree with everything for simple appeasement.
    Last edited by Paradosi; 08-06-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesavius View Post
    Ok, heres one thats been bothering me for a long time... Is someone's opinion always valid, and are they always entitled to it?

I mean, and I am not talking about these boards at all, just life in general (to be clear), but I hear a lot of people saying (no matter how ill educated or ill informed on the subject they are) that they have a 'right' to an opinion... And that just dosent make sense to me.

If i don't know much about something, I sit, listen, ask questions, and attempt to learn something, whereas others I have seen seem to think they have a 'human right' to be an equal with others on all subjects... It's crazy in my eyes.

What do others think? Am i alone?? :P
    I'll just answer the question directly: Is someone's opinion always valid?

No, it is not always valid but it can be. Some people's opinions are not well-thought out or make it clear they did not pay attention to what people have already said. It can be pretty easy to separate a valid opinion and the opposite kind of opinion but it doesn't mean you should shut them out. They could have a pretty good opinion underneath all of their ignorance.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

By right of law and/or religion everybody is equal and therefore should be treated equally. Fundementally, this means that yes, everyone has the same rights as everyone else, up to the point that those rights infringe upon the other person's rights. (i.e. why sexual or physical abuse, theft, murder, etc is illegal). With that being said, then yes everybody is equal and entitled to their equal opinion. However, not all opinions are equal, some are just dumb or ignorant opinions.

Therefore, they have the equal right to express their opinion (no matter how dumb or ignorant it may be), but you have the equal right to not listen to it and/or express your opinion back to them that their opions are stupid.
    Last edited by Arrocken; 08-06-2010 at 10:53 AM.

I think too often people confuse opinion with facts. You can not really argue if a persons opinion is valid or not as it is just that.... an opinion and is based on many different factors which often has nothing at all to do with facts.

As Arrocken stated everyone is equal by law and have a right to express and have their opinion. Even if it is different than yours

I do think it would be nice if more people would worry about what the actual facts are before they form their opinion, but hey.... that's just my opinion!

The freedom of thought and the right to express them is something many poeple died for, so I have very high respect for it. Still, many things in life depend on someones point of view, and this can differ a lot. very often there is no absolut truth. As soon as personal values, individual opinions or tastes are are concerend, few things are always valid. De gustibus non est dispudandum, as the Romans used to say. Validity and absolute truths are mostly reserved for natural sciences, and even there is more guesswork going on than most of us believe.
    ELDER of TELARA

Proud member of NEMESIS

A quote from Winston Churchill - "The greatest argument against democracy is a ten minute conversation with the average voter." Sometimes opinions are...well, let's just say I'd rather live in blissful ignorance that there can be such ugliness among humanity. Freedom of speech gets brought up a lot, but honestly I prefer to call it "responsibility of speech". Just because one may have the right to say something doesn't necessarily mean they should voice it - and it also doesn't mean they should be surprised if someone strongly objects to it as well. If I cannot handle that someone may not agree, I keep my opinions to myself. But if I feel strongly enough about something and I am willing to back it up, not merely in words, but in deeds, then I shall voice it, and I face the repercussions for doing so. I do not feel people can just spout off at the mouth and not expect someone to cram their words down their throat if they've been offensive.

But then, that's just my opinion.

Zoe

My saying is always: "Everyone is entitled to their opinion even if they are wrong"

my father used to say: "opinions are like *****holes, everyone's got them but some of them just stink"

lol
    Zoe-SiN
    Sinister

It is when they are a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post
    Made of win.

Zoe

true....and sometimes that sucks =/
    Zoe-SiN
    Sinister

Everyone has a right to their own opinion even though it may be dead wrong and it may even get them in trouble. Is their opinion always valid? NO! Do you have to listen to it? NO. Can you try to change their mind? Sure if you feel it is worth your time. You make the call depending on the situation.

Sorry, please don't be offended, but that one sounds like right out of a Customer Relationship Management manual! I am sure it scored maximum points on some obscure inhouse customer focus rating! (You may flog me now....)

If the person is a customer he is always entitled to an opinion, but it is not necessarily valid for others. Opinion has "personal" written all over, as I see it.
    ELDER of TELARA

Proud member of NEMESIS

Everyone has a right to their opinion. I also have a right to Ridicule them for their opinion should they choose to share it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast