+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Dev Anything About Poker

Default Ask a Dev Anything About Poker

I've been been a winning poker player for over 6 years. Spent about a year in total playing for a living. In that time I've made a fair amount of money playing mid-stakes NLHE cash games (preferably short-handed.) My most comfortable live game these days is $5/$10 NLHE with a $1k buy-in cap, but I'll play a level up or down from there depending on my mood and how good the game is. I've also played quite a bit of Limit Hold'em, Limit 7 Card Stud , Limit 5 Card Draw and Pot Limit Omaha for small stakes.

Ask away!
    Last edited by BrianMorin; 08-05-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post
    I've been been a winning poker player for over 6 years. Spent about a year in total playing for a living. In that time I've made a fair amount of money playing mid-stakes NLHE cash games (preferably short-handed.) My most comfortable live game these days is $5/$10 NLHE with a $1k buy-in cap, but I'll play a level up or down from there depending on my mood and how good the game is. I've also played quite a bit of Limit Hold'em, Limit 7 Card Stud , Limit 5 Card Draw and Pot Limit Omaha online for small stakes.

Ask away!
    I'm giving you rep.

/derail off

Love playing Omaha! ;)
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

I've been been a winning poker player for over 6 years. Spent about a year in total playing for a living. In that time I've made a fair amount of money playing mid-stakes NLHE cash games (preferably short-handed.) My most comfortable live game these days is $5/$10 NLHE with a $1k buy-in cap, but I'll play a level up or down from there depending on my mood and how good the game is. I've also played quite a bit of Limit Hold'em, Limit 7 Card Stud , Limit 5 Card Draw and Pot Limit Omaha online for small stakes.

Ask away!
    Then if i got table in pokerstars or some other online poker game site/program would you play with the rift community ? I want to steal a devs money but i can't play big money .

Quote Originally Posted by Sythe View Post
    Then if i got table in pokerstars or some other online poker game site/program would you play with the rift community ? I want to steal a devs money but i can't play big money .
    I'd be happy to play with anyone at Lucky Chances in the SF area.

Zoe

I stink at poker...wish I could be better but I know what my problem is...I don't know when to stop.
    Zoe-SiN
    Sinister

I'd be happy to play with anyone at Lucky Chances in the SF area.
    Let me get my fake ID and sure I am in the SF area. I just need one more year to be legal . I can do a house held game

I like no limit Texas Hold em'. Here is the question. Should you always play by the odds or use your gut sometimes with the start of the deal? Any other tips would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Anasazi View Post
    Should you always play by the odds or use your gut sometimes with the start of the deal?
    Having a strong hand pre-flop becomes more important the further away you are from the button and the less deep the money is compared to the effective blinds (including any loose action being given at the table.) That said, if you can isolate someone who's weak it's free money almost regardless of what you have in the hole.

Well tell us a bit about bluffing or how to call a bluff. What are the tell tale signs and how do you bluff lol.

Zoe

Well tell us a bit about bluffing or how to call a bluff. What are the tell tale signs and how do you bluff lol.
    to bluff you have to work on your "poker face" ----->
    Zoe-SiN
    Sinister

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe-SiN View Post
    Nice! You have a really good "poker face" haha. I can't help but smile in every card game.. Even Go Fish.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Did you ever beat dead simon in poker? And if so, did his character consequently die?
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe-SiN View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPqAURzhd_U

Picking off bluffs has always been a growth area for me. At least when you're the one shoving in a lot of money you will get saved from time to time by getting a very strong hand to unexpectedly fold or to just plain suck out. I guess I got to go with Cole South's advice that "when someone's line doesn't make much sense, you're going to see a bluff quite often." That said, what makes sense to me and what makes sense to my opponent could be light years apart!

If you're looking for consistently profitable body language, the best place to start is to pay more attention to all the information people give away when they're not trying to be deceptive. Tipping folds pre-flop, showing zero interest in a pot, etc. Not only are those tells very accurate, when you're wrong they were probably putting on an act; you can figure them for a very strong hand, tip your hat to them and stop putting money in the pot if you can't beat the third nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Skythe View Post
    Did you ever beat dead simon in poker? And if so, did his character consequently die?
    We've never played. I got a bit of a reputation around here after I got lucky and won a couple big pots off one of the development leads.

Ever watch that show Lie to me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie_to_Me

is is based off this guys work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ekman

I have been studying it for a while and it really does help me win sometimes. I am getting better at it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast