+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Any hockey fans out there?

  1. #1
    Shadowlander Dark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    25

    Default Any hockey fans out there?

    The Pittsburgh Penguins are going to win the cup this year!

    Who do you think is really going to win it?

  2. #2
    Ascendant Apoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    would say the hawks but with all they gave away i dont know anymore.

    WTB the above item .... mine broke

  3. #3
    Telaran Kuju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    92

    Default

    I am a pretty big hockey fan myself. My favorite team is the Pens, with the Blue Jackets a decent 2nd (if they were to meet in the SCF I would root for the Pens, no doubt).I got into hockey towards the end of Mario's first retirement, and at that time there were no Ohio teams. Even though Columbus has produced a team since then, I remain a loyal Pittsburgh fan. As for winning the cup this year, we'll see. We're still weak at the wings, and we have to hope Letang or Go-Go is ready to step-up take over the QB (point) on the power-play since Gochar is gone. MAF has to play better as well, and we need to play better in front of him, no doubt. The two defensive defense-man added during free-agency SHOULD help there. If I had to pick a favorite from an un-biased perspective, I would go with Vancouver atm. With Chicago seemingly down-graded, they are by far the most talented team in the West IMO. The Caps will still be scary in the east (Philly too), look out for Detroit possibly if healthy, and don't be surprised if the KIng's make a run too. They're young, but only getting better.I suppose Chicago could still contend, but I would really be surprised after the team was essentially dismantled outside of their stars.
    When darkness falls it is because we have brought it upon ourselves.


    KASE Breakdown: Achiever 46.67%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 66.67%, Socializer 46.67%

  4. #4
    Prophet of Telara Ravenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tasmania AUS
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    GO Vancouver Canucks!!!
    Though being in Australia the past 4 years has put me out of touch with my Hockey Heritage!

  5. #5
    Ascendant Europe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Die hard Wings fan here. I was a fan before it became cool (and then uncool, and then cool again)!
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Europe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuju View Post
    I am a pretty big hockey fan myself. My favorite team is the Pens, with the Blue Jackets a decent 2nd (if they were to meet in the SCF I would root for the Pens, no doubt).I got into hockey towards the end of Mario's first retirement, and at that time there were no Ohio teams. Even though Columbus has produced a team since then, I remain a loyal Pittsburgh fan. As for winning the cup this year, we'll see. We're still weak at the wings, and we have to hope Letang or Go-Go is ready to step-up take over the QB (point) on the power-play since Gochar is gone. MAF has to play better as well, and we need to play better in front of him, no doubt. The two defensive defense-man added during free-agency SHOULD help there. If I had to pick a favorite from an un-biased perspective, I would go with Vancouver atm. With Chicago seemingly down-graded, they are by far the most talented team in the West IMO. The Caps will still be scary in the east (Philly too), look out for Detroit possibly if healthy, and don't be surprised if the KIng's make a run too. They're young, but only getting better.I suppose Chicago could still contend, but I would really be surprised after the team was essentially dismantled outside of their stars.
    I like Pittsburgh's D, but like you said, they still have weakness on the wings. I STILL think they should move Staal for some upgrades. They're holding the poor guy back from reaching his potential. I'm a huge fan of Zbynek Michalek and I think he's going to be a fantastic addition, and Paul Martin is darn good too. Their biggest question mark this season is their powerplay, which has been largely terrible despite having great talent. Losing Gonchar is a big deal there, and I've never been overly impressed with Letang or Goligoski as anything more than second unit guys.

    I like the Kings and they have a great young D, but I think they're about one good winger away from being a true threat. As it is now, too much gets put on Kopitar. Bernier could surprise this season too.

    I still don't like Vancouver. The Sedins are amazing, but I just don't think they have the raw offensive depth. IMO, cup contenders have to have a third line that can be a threat against a 2nd pairing and I'm not sure if they have it. Luongo has to show that he can take the team on his back in the playoffs too.

    I still believe that Washington will not win anything under Bruce Boudreau. He's not a coach; he's a cheerleader. They keep him up there to swear at refs.

    I do like the Wings this year. /homer Lidstrom has much more in the tank than pundits are saying (he was the best d-man in the league for the second half). I think J-Ho will have a slight sophomore slump, but the Wings' offensive depth is deadly this year.

    Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
    Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi
    Hudler-Modano-Cleary
    Helm-Abdelkader-Eaves

    Those are three good scoring lines and the fourth is a great energy line. Take into account that the Wings' biggest weaknesses last season have been addressed (3rd pairing was terrible, 2nd PP unit was awful).

    You have Kindl/Salei/Smith fighting over the right to play with the talented but inconsistent Jonathan Ericsson. Definitely an upgrade over Brett Ledba, and Salei provides the PK presence to make up for Andreas Lilja's departure.

    The 2nd PP is hugely upgraded with the additions of Hudler and Modano.

    Hudler-Filppula-Franzen
    Kronwall-Modano.

    Needless to say, I'm excited.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

  7. #7
    Telaran Kuju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    Die hard Wings fan here. I was a fan before it became cool (and then uncool, and then cool again)!
    Lol, well said. I do believe hockey is on the way back up. The ratings seem to be there. However, they can not go into another lockout in 2011, and I think the NHL needs to try to negotiate a new TV contract with ESPN. Versus just doesn't cut it, especially with how long they were off DirecTV this year. Being on ESPN could only help them at this point. Bring back some games on Wednesday and Friday, maybe even Tuesday. I know Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Saturday wouldn't work between the NFL and the NCAA football.
    When darkness falls it is because we have brought it upon ourselves.


    KASE Breakdown: Achiever 46.67%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 66.67%, Socializer 46.67%

  8. #8
    Ascendant Europe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuju View Post
    Lol, well said. I do believe hockey is on the way back up. The ratings seem to be there. However, they can not go into another lockout in 2011, and I think the NHL needs to try to negotiate a new TV contract with ESPN. Versus just doesn't cut it, especially with how long they were off DirecTV this year. Being on ESPN could only help them at this point. Bring back some games on Wednesday and Friday, maybe even Tuesday. I know Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Saturday wouldn't work between the NFL and the NCAA football.
    I read that ESPN is knocking on their door again and Bettman told them to F off.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

  9. #9
    Telaran Kuju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    I read that ESPN is knocking on their door again and Bettman told them to F off.
    That's a bad business move I'd imagine, but doesn't surprise me. I would put Bettman dead last when ranking the commissioners from the big four in the States. I would be willing to bet a lot more households receive ESPN over Versus, but I may be wrong.
    When darkness falls it is because we have brought it upon ourselves.


    KASE Breakdown: Achiever 46.67%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 66.67%, Socializer 46.67%

  10. #10
    Rift Chaser Zephyroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Montreal , Quebec!
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Why all those questions.. of course.. The Montreal Canadiens are going to win.....

    On a more serious note.. i really cannot wait anymore for that stupid 25th Stanley cup.. been w8ing for over 16 years
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #11
    Rift Chaser Calitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Go Avs!
    Stabby Stabby, Pokey Pokey
    Calitar, Calmara, Calidor, Calmereth - Guardian - Wolfsbane
    http://www.virtuegaming.com/portal.php

  12. #12
    Shadowlander Dark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    I like Pittsburgh's D, but like you said, they still have weakness on the wings. I STILL think they should move Staal for some upgrades. They're holding the poor guy back from reaching his potential. I'm a huge fan of Zbynek Michalek and I think he's going to be a fantastic addition, and Paul Martin is darn good too. Their biggest question mark this season is their powerplay, which has been largely terrible despite having great talent. Losing Gonchar is a big deal there, and I've never been overly impressed with Letang or Goligoski as anything more than second unit guys.

    I like the Kings and they have a great young D, but I think they're about one good winger away from being a true threat. As it is now, too much gets put on Kopitar. Bernier could surprise this season too.

    I still don't like Vancouver. The Sedins are amazing, but I just don't think they have the raw offensive depth. IMO, cup contenders have to have a third line that can be a threat against a 2nd pairing and I'm not sure if they have it. Luongo has to show that he can take the team on his back in the playoffs too.

    I still believe that Washington will not win anything under Bruce Boudreau. He's not a coach; he's a cheerleader. They keep him up there to swear at refs.

    I do like the Wings this year. /homer Lidstrom has much more in the tank than pundits are saying (he was the best d-man in the league for the second half). I think J-Ho will have a slight sophomore slump, but the Wings' offensive depth is deadly this year.

    Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
    Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi
    Hudler-Modano-Cleary
    Helm-Abdelkader-Eaves

    Those are three good scoring lines and the fourth is a great energy line. Take into account that the Wings' biggest weaknesses last season have been addressed (3rd pairing was terrible, 2nd PP unit was awful).

    You have Kindl/Salei/Smith fighting over the right to play with the talented but inconsistent Jonathan Ericsson. Definitely an upgrade over Brett Ledba, and Salei provides the PK presence to make up for Andreas Lilja's departure.

    The 2nd PP is hugely upgraded with the additions of Hudler and Modano.

    Hudler-Filppula-Franzen
    Kronwall-Modano.

    Needless to say, I'm excited.
    Letang is a great offensive defensemen, but his whole problem last season was hitting the net He has a great shot if he hits the net he'll easily be the top scoring defensemen in the league! Losing gonchar is not as big as most non penguin fans think. Gonchar is getting old and his last 30 games proves as to why hes getting old. Yes he will get 50+ points next season if hes healthy all year next year with the senators but as everyone says points don't mean everything. I'd rather have a clutch playoff performer than a showboat player such as alexander ovechkin. (You are right about Bruce Boudreau though, he is a terrible coach based off all his antics and how immature he looks while "working" I also honestly think ovechkin could be a better player if he had a different coach! someone that could maybe calm him down more?) After Kris Letang got his contract extension it seemed to me as if Sergei Gonchar did not give a damn about his team and he was just trying to play his way out of the penguins! Even game 7 proves on how he looked like he just wasn't ready or he just did not care anymore about being in the playoffs! ( What better motivation than winning another cup right after you just won one???? )

    I am expecting an amazing year by letang due to him having a downer last season! After working at the new arena over the summer I got to speak to some of the players and if I ever get to see Letang I will tell him that hes getting 20+ goals this year and how he'll be nominated for the norris :P
    Last edited by Dark; 08-11-2010 at 07:59 PM.

  13. #13
    Telaran Kuju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    I like Pittsburgh's D, but like you said, they still have weakness on the wings. I STILL think they should move Staal for some upgrades. They're holding the poor guy back from reaching his potential. I'm a huge fan of Zbynek Michalek and I think he's going to be a fantastic addition, and Paul Martin is darn good too. Their biggest question mark this season is their powerplay, which has been largely terrible despite having great talent. Losing Gonchar is a big deal there, and I've never been overly impressed with Letang or Goligoski as anything more than second unit guys.

    I like the Kings and they have a great young D, but I think they're about one good winger away from being a true threat. As it is now, too much gets put on Kopitar. Bernier could surprise this season too.

    I still don't like Vancouver. The Sedins are amazing, but I just don't think they have the raw offensive depth. IMO, cup contenders have to have a third line that can be a threat against a 2nd pairing and I'm not sure if they have it. Luongo has to show that he can take the team on his back in the playoffs too.

    I still believe that Washington will not win anything under Bruce Boudreau. He's not a coach; he's a cheerleader. They keep him up there to swear at refs.

    I do like the Wings this year. /homer Lidstrom has much more in the tank than pundits are saying (he was the best d-man in the league for the second half). I think J-Ho will have a slight sophomore slump, but the Wings' offensive depth is deadly this year.

    Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
    Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi
    Hudler-Modano-Cleary
    Helm-Abdelkader-Eaves

    Those are three good scoring lines and the fourth is a great energy line. Take into account that the Wings' biggest weaknesses last season have been addressed (3rd pairing was terrible, 2nd PP unit was awful).

    You have Kindl/Salei/Smith fighting over the right to play with the talented but inconsistent Jonathan Ericsson. Definitely an upgrade over Brett Ledba, and Salei provides the PK presence to make up for Andreas Lilja's departure.

    The 2nd PP is hugely upgraded with the additions of Hudler and Modano.

    Hudler-Filppula-Franzen
    Kronwall-Modano.

    Needless to say, I'm excited.
    I agree with a lot of what you said, but no way do we move Staal. Way too important to our team. He will only get better as a two-way player. I'm kinda hoping we end up trading Malkin sometime in the next couple years and get two good wingers in return to play with Crosby. I'm not a Crosby fanboy by any means, and I know a lot of people hate him because of the exposure he gets (tahts the media's fault, if you follow Crosby you can tell he doesn't even like doing interviews), but he would that much better of a player IMO.

    As for Detroit the question is never about talent/depth, its about their age now and staying healthy. Also, Howard will need to continue to get better, but he plays under a great system with arguably the best coach in the league now.

    Vancouver, you are right about depth on the offense, but if there is to be a year, it's this year. Chicago is now seemingly out the way, and I think it comes down to possibly them and Detroit. However, don't sleep on those young KIngs!

    Out of the east if I had to pick right now, I would say it might come down to the teams playing out of Pennsylvania. However, I wouldn't sleep on Buffalo, Washington (I whole-heartily agree on Bruce BTW), New Jeresey (assuming they sign the overrated guy about to get rich - yes, I know his name, I just don't like him), or even Tampa Bay. Tampa would be my sleeper pick with the moves they made so far, but Lacavalier (sp?) has to be back to old form.
    Last edited by Kuju; 08-13-2010 at 01:02 AM.
    When darkness falls it is because we have brought it upon ourselves.


    KASE Breakdown: Achiever 46.67%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 66.67%, Socializer 46.67%

  14. #14
    Telaran Kuju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    Letang is a great offensive defensemen, but his whole problem last season was hitting the net He has a great shot if he hits the net he'll easily be the top scoring defensemen in the league! Losing gonchar is not as big as most non penguin fans think. Gonchar is getting old and his last 30 games proves as to why hes getting old. Yes he will get 50+ points next season if hes healthy all year next year with the senators but as everyone says points don't mean everything. I'd rather have a clutch playoff performer than a showboat player such as alexander ovechkin. (You are right about Bruce Boudreau though, he is a terrible coach based off all his antics and how immature he looks while "working" I also honestly think ovechkin could be a better player if he had a different coach! someone that could maybe calm him down more?) After Kris Letang got his contract extension it seemed to me as if Sergei Gonchar did not give a damn about his team and he was just trying to play his way out of the penguins! Even game 7 proves on how he looked like he just wasn't ready or he just did not care anymore about being in the playoffs! ( What better motivation than winning another cup right after you just won one???? )

    I am expecting an amazing year by letang due to him having a downer last season! After working at the new arena over the summer I got to speak to some of the players and if I ever get to see Letang I will tell him that hes getting 20+ goals this year and how he'll be nominated for the norris :P


    No way was Gonchar worth the money hes getting in Ottawa now. At least not to a team like Pittsburgh. I'm actually leaning more on Go-Go stepping up than Letang. I just don't have any confidence in him being consistent enough. 100% of the shots that don't hit the net, don't go in. Pretty simple. (Deflections are not part of that equation :P)
    Last edited by Kuju; 08-13-2010 at 12:34 AM.
    When darkness falls it is because we have brought it upon ourselves.


    KASE Breakdown: Achiever 46.67%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 66.67%, Socializer 46.67%

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    If the bruins are able to keep their focus for the whole season and not forget themselves and their playing styles they have a good chance

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts