+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: GW2 and the fate of Rift.

Default GW2 and the fate of Rift.

First off, I want to say, I do not think the game is dying or is dead. I am also not a "fanboi". I do enjoy this game and what is has to offer. Now that the introduction to what I think about this game is out of the way, lets get onto what this thread is really about.

With Guild Wars 2 coming out this year I am really fearing what will happen to the community. I am hoping that the devs will put in a lot of work and time into building the game up to withstand GW2. At the same time, however, GW already had a big following with its first game and will most likely have a big following with GW2. I am hoping that this game stays strong and keeps pushing, because it really has potential to be a giant among the MMO world.

Something needs to be done with the game to keep the community alive as well as bringing in new players.

Again, I do not think this game is dying yet. As a community we should voice our opinions and try to help with ideas for the game and be able to actually discuss options, rather than having all these, "hurrr durrr rift is dead", threads.

What do you think about the two games? How much will Rift suffer with the release of Guild Wars 2 and what can the Devs do to help soften the impact that GW2 will have?

Sometimes good games have bad launches and never recover. I don't necessarily anticipate this from GW2, but I've seen it happen far too many times with MMO launches
    "All we had to do was follow the damn train CJ"

is there a release date set?
    Hurry to Meet Death Before Your Place is Taken

Plane Touched

I was really excited at Rift's Launch, but all the small, incredibly annoying things that still persist post beta are now making it so i hardly play anymore. I plan on trying out GW2, I had a lot of fun with the first one, and the expansions.

And the degradation of the forums to the basic level of rabid butt-kissing fanbois who jump on you if you don't bow to their new WoW-Replacement play-12-hours-a-day-on-one-monitor-and-chime-in-on-the-forums-on-another-monitor is just sad on such an epic level..
    Last edited by HellM3at; 05-04-2011 at 10:59 AM.
    ePeen Startup Script Init:
    Insert Pointless PC Spec >HERE<
    Insert Photochopped Character banner >HERE<
    Insert unfunny forum quote >HERE<

I will most likely play both... Since GW was F2P I am assuming GW2 is as well... Not sure why anyone would unsub for a F2P game anyway. Who knows?

Nerf PAPER,
    SCISSORS are fine.

Signed,
    ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by Adusrea View Post
    What do you think about the two games? How much will Rift suffer with the release of Guild Wars 2 and what can the Devs do to help soften the impact that GW2 will have?
    Rift will suffer; GW2 is F2P. That alone right there will probably pull 1/3 of the people playing Rift as everyone likes free stuff. GW2 looks really good and the things they have planned are really interesting; several forms of PvP, server vs server PvP (I think) and some other goodies.

Rift won't die, but it will be given a pretty hard hit, because Rift is all about the min/max game and spreadsheets and most people don't want to have to do that at endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazee View Post
    I will most likely play both... Since GW was F2P I am assuming GW2 is as well... Not sure why anyone would unsub for a F2P game anyway. Who knows?
    according to an arenanet tis f2p like the first.
    Hurry to Meet Death Before Your Place is Taken

Plane Touched

Maybe they don't want to sit around playing two MMOs all day for 12+ hours? They may have other things to do. Or maybe they just don't find Rift fun anymore and want to try something new. That's just two reasons I can think of off the top of my head, I am sure there are a lot more.
    ePeen Startup Script Init:
    Insert Pointless PC Spec >HERE<
    Insert Photochopped Character banner >HERE<
    Insert unfunny forum quote >HERE<

Since GW was F2P I am assuming GW2 is as well... Not sure why anyone would unsub for a F2P game anyway. Who knows?
    Probably what will happen is if someone is playing GW2 more than they are playing Rift by that time, they will wonder why they are paying $15/mo for the one week of gameplay here when they are spending much more time with the F2P one (yes, GW2 will be F2p).

What might happen is that people unsub and play GW2, and if they don't like it might come back to Rift.

Telaran

Its B2P, and its not the worst competition that Rift faces, because one can buy GW2 and still pay for Rift's sub. SWTOR on the other hand is a destroyer in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by HellM3at View Post
    Maybe they don't want to sit around playing two MMOs all day for 12+ hours? They may have other things to do. Or maybe they just don't find Rift fun anymore and want to try something new. That's just two reasons I can think of off the top of my head, I am sure there are a lot more.
    Who said you have to dedicate 12 hours a day? I can play rift on monday and then GW2 on tuesday... I don't think GW2 would be the reason these people would leave Rift, if they aren't enjoying it a slight breeze might be the catalyst.

As of right now, why unsub for a game that is free to play... I can see unsubbing after playing for a little while if you really enjoyed it, but the release of GW2 shouldn't have that big of an impact... but its just my guess on the matter. No one can prove anyone wrong on this matter until it happens anyway.

Nerf PAPER,
    SCISSORS are fine.

Signed,
    ROCK

GW2 is not f2p it's B2p. You still have to shell out the 60 bucks for the game.

Also GW2 is not coming out this year. Beta MIGHT happen at the end of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HellM3at View Post
    This. Juggeling 2 MMO's is a HUGE time investment. I just hope this game will not die because of GW2.

To whoever asked about the release date, I dont know if there is an official one yet, haven't been following to much on the game.

I don't touch F2P/B2P games. The user base sorta upsets me.
    Aszrayel Lawgiver

Ascendant

This should have been posted in off topic because as you can see, your question will and has degenerated into a fanboi pissing match.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast