+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: GW2 and the fate of Rift.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by AlienXXI View Post
    This is a false statement. I'm willing to bet GW2 has much more content then what Rift has. Not to mention their sexy dynamic world events. In Rift, if you fail at a event, the thing resets. In GW2, you fail at a event and like protecting a town from monsters, the monsters will take control over that town until you are able to push them back.
    False, I thought the same thing but read enough interviews and you will see the dreaded "reset" word. they are going to do the same thing Rift is doing now.

They are making a lot of bold claims and to be honest, fool me twice has already passed.

Soulwalker

Default So Funny

Honestly I think the only people who will jump ship are the cornballs who take 6 hours to get to max level and then quit because their bored. Which is funny because it's probably 3/4 of the idiots posting in this thread. The bottom line is that there or your bored of the genre not the game. Honestly if you think for one minute that SWOTR or GW2 won't have you killing boars to get to max level and then once you get to max running raids or dungeons then you belong on a bus banging your head against a window. This is just to funny. Half or most of you will jump ship and then come back once you don't get exactly what your little dilluisonal mind expects.
    It's been almost a month and a half and I still have my main at lvl46, because I anticipated that with a new game there probably wouldn't be too much content endgame. So I have spent just as much time leveling alts of each class. I was one who hated and didn't trust the idea of playing anything other than WOW. But what do you know I have since canceled my account with blizzard and extended my account with RIFT. Honestly all of you who keep complaining, I'm sorry but I don't believe you hate the game that much and that you are only trying to get the attention of the devs.
    I want things my way!!!!! Now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin23 View Post
    GW will not kill or even affect rift, people will jump over to GW2 for maybe a month and then come back, recall its a F2P mmo, it wont have much content and it won't update at consitenly as rift
    clearly you never played gw1, nor any of there expansions
    Hurry to Meet Death Before Your Place is Taken

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by AlienXXI View Post
    Yup! I forgot about the PVP. Guild Wars is known to have very good balanced PVP.
    "Guild Wars" and "Balance" are not words that ever, ever, ever belong in the same sentence. Anet wasn't called Anerf for nothing, in its heyday GW1 was the biggest OP/UP roller-coaster the gaming world has ever seen. There has never been anything remotely resembling balance in Guild Wars, just which classes have been buffed to insanity or nerfed to uselessness this week.

As for GW2, like everything else Anet does it'll be ludicrously hyped and turn out to be something enjoyable enough for the price of admission, but lacking enough depth to bother with long-term. And good luck with new content, GW1 should have taught people how well Anet keeps those promises.

Rift has nothing whatsoever to fear from GW2.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Himora View Post
    You mean the expansions that were supposed to come out every six months but only two were ever released (be honest, GW:EN is a glorified mission pack, not an expac in any meaningful sense -- hell, you could almost say the same about Factions), both taking a whole lot longer than six months?

The whole reason there's a GW2 is the expansion-every-six-months plan failed miserably. Hell, beta for GW2 was originally announced to start like five years ago so it's not exactly like they've gotten any faster.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by neodevileet View Post
    SWTOR on the other hand is a destroyer in the making.
    I'm always hesitant to make predictions about games. You never know how they are going to turn out and fans tend to build up this expectation that it's going to make them steak sammiches, rub their tired aching gaming shoulders and deliver gold plated USB keys directly to their door when the reality is ... well.

Here's one preview, for example. There are, of course, positive ones as well.

Point being. Don't swallow the hype. Trying to decide if a game is good or not based off nothing but company releases and selective previews or demos is dumb. Coming to a different games' forum and proclaiming how much better it is is even dumber.

Coming to a different games' forum and worrying about how other, unreleased games that have not been play tested will affect this game ...

Yes. That's just. I don't have a word for it but trowel comes to mind.

Rift Chaser

Wait, wat GW2 is F2P?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ryce View Post
    Wait, wat GW2 is F2P?
    B2P but basically yes. Just like GW1

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Himora View Post
    Are you saying that GW had a lot of content? Oh, I guess it did but Rift would to if they designed the world to exist of paths. that game sucked, I tried to play it many times.

Oh, what's over there, invisiwall.
    Oh wait, lets go that way....invisiwall.

Not to mention you would oneshot a mob and then the exact same mob in the area would one shot you, very balanced lol.

Crap game.

Quote Originally Posted by Treras View Post
    I'm always hesitant to make predictions about games. You never know how they are going to turn out and fans tend to build up this expectation that it's going to make them steak sammiches, rub their tired aching gaming shoulders and deliver gold plated USB keys directly to their door when the reality is ... well.

Here's one preview, for example. There are, of course, positive ones as well.

Point being. Don't swallow the hype. Trying to decide if a game is good or not based off nothing but company releases and selective previews or demos is dumb. Coming to a different games' forum and proclaiming how much better it is is even dumber.

Coming to a different games' forum and worrying about how other, unreleased games that have not been play tested will affect this game ...

Yes. That's just. I don't have a word for it but trowel comes to mind.
    Could not have said it better myself
    Onolawk - 60 Guardian Mage
    Former Maximation Raider

GW2, lots of people will try it as it will be the flavor of the month, but as it's F2P, it will likely be a secondary game (as many people I know view GW), not the main 'game'. I found GW fun, but not anything I enjoyed as much as most other MMOs.

If Trion continues what it's been doing with RIFT (barring the World Event fiasco), I don't think they'll lose too many players to GW2. I still lots of new players in the start areas (and asking the new to the game questions so likely not alts), which I think is awesome.

I've talked to more people that have dropped WoW, EQ2, LoTRO, WAR, etc., and are focusing on RIFT only. More than people that have said they're going back to their old MMO.
    ziboo
    Hammerfist Clan - Faeblight

"Never argue with stupid, it drags you down to it's level, then beats you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock View Post
    Probably what will happen is if someone is playing GW2 more than they are playing Rift by that time, they will wonder why they are paying $15/mo for the one week of gameplay here when they are spending much more time with the F2P one (yes, GW2 will be F2p).

What might happen is that people unsub and play GW2, and if they don't like it might come back to Rift.
    To be honest, theres too much in GW2 that I wont like- top of the list is the reason a certain player type will gravitate there- it'll be F2P. Ive never enjoyed a F2P game for long because they really arent- it becomes a carnival sideshow where little bits of better content/items require "cash shop" purchases. I envision these seedy carnies standing in the shadows whispering: "You want this dont you?", knowing that while you made it there of your own free will, the smell of cooz will draw you near their booth and then they have you hooked.

I'm not predictable like that, but I do have standards and the average F2P grouper makes me want to carry anti-biotic hand sanitizer and a urban dictionary. I want to add though, that the BENEFICIAL effect that GW2 will have on other games is it should cleanse the userbases in the games we enjoy. That is about the only thing I'm anticipating.

The videos they have out warn me that while they look cool, theres going to be the same exact issues every game has- constant balancing via nerf and buff.

/shrug
    Last edited by Ancientwolf; 05-04-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    "I'm impervious to your verbal attacks because I'm
    me and you're still, you. Not your fault though."

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    Are you saying that GW had a lot of content? Oh, I guess it did but Rift would to if they designed the world to exist of paths. that game sucked, I tried to play it many times.

Oh, what's over there, invisiwall.
    Oh wait, lets go that way....invisiwall.

Not to mention you would oneshot a mob and then the exact same mob in the area would one shot you, very balanced lol.

Crap game.
    Crap game,
    hmm take the advice of some forum guy or the fact it sold over 5mil copies.. hummm hmmmm... your right forum guy, thnx for your enlightening opinion
    Hurry to Meet Death Before Your Place is Taken

Rift Disciple

So..... many.... un-informed opinions.... in this thread....on all sides....

How can people be so stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Hexicz View Post
    So..... many.... un-informed opinions.... in this thread....on all sides....

How can people be so stupid?
    Can't believe you actually asked that question. Most people on the internet are stupid, you see the **** that gets put up on youtube.
    Briarcliff I make em scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenity View Post
    I'm not sure if you are talking to him or me. But I do care. I even care about what would bring you to the place that you would put such pictures on your profile.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast