+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The City that Never Sleeps

Default The City that Never Sleeps

I lived in a small town for half a year in that country, I never visited that city during my stay and I kind of got distracted in this little town which is only one hour away in the train from the City that never sleeps. I finally got the time to get the train, alone, heading towards this big city everyone talks about.

The train went down underground for about 15 minutes until it stopped in line with tens of other trains coming from all over the states. Too many people from too many cultures; the beauty of this vareity made me speechless. I never seen so much diversity in my life, I felt overwhelmed yet no one seems to care. I followed the crowd to what I recognized later as the Grand Central. Getting used to that little town for 6 months and that contrast made my jaws drop. After long moments of tranquility I located the exists. It was in the Christmas vacation and the weather outside was cold. Everything felt like I'm living a Beethoven's Symphony, the 9th to be precise. Just before I pushed that wooden door the Symphony was in a calming state.. tata...tata....tata.. like a pulse of a healthy heart beat. Just as I pushed the door open, the enormous 9th symphony motif hits like THUNDER...

Oh friends, not these tones!
    Rather, let us raise our voices in more pleasing
    And more joyful sounds!
    Joy! Joy!

Joy, beautiful spark of divinity
    Daughter of Elysium,
    We enter, drunk with fire,
    Into your sanctuary, heavenly (daughter)!
    Your magic reunites
    What custom strictly divided.
    All men become brothers,
    Where your gentle wing rests.

Whoever has had the great fortune
    To be a friend's friend,
    Whoever has won a devoted wife,
    Join in our jubilation!
    Indeed, whoever can call even one soul,
    His own on this earth!
    And whoever was never able to, must creep
    Tearfully away from this band!

Joy all creatures drink
    At the breasts of nature;
    All good, all bad
    Follow her trail of roses.
    Kisses she gave us, and wine,
    A friend, proved in death;
    Pleasure was given to the worm,
    And the cherub stands before God.
    Before God!

Glad, as His suns fly
    Through the Heaven's glorious design,
    Run, brothers, your path,
    Joyful, as a hero to victory.

Be embraced, millions!
    This kiss for the whole world!
    Brothers, above the starry canopy
    Must a loving Father dwell.
    Do you bow down, millions?
    Do you sense the Creator, world?
    Seek Him beyond the starry canopy!
    Beyond the stars must He dwell.

I was there in the middle of Park Avenue.. Screaming from my inside yet I seem to be paralyzed and overwhelmed. I came from that little town to jump into THIS? I never thought I'd fall in love with an inanimate being let a lone something as big as the Big Apple but I did. I can hear Frank Sinatra singing to my ears and I could spell out what he told me and I know no would care but I kept these to myself. Everytime I remember that time I whisper "I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps...."
    Last edited by Laura; 08-02-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Zoe

so, i take it you enjoyed your trip to Manhattan Yeah i <3 NYC. I lived in the Bronx till i was 7 then moved 45 mins north of the city. I would take trips down as often and I could. Now I live in Texas though heh
    Zoe-SiN
    Sinister

after a while it gets very old and the people well are not very nice most of the time.

Zoe

Quote Originally Posted by Anasazi View Post
    after a while it gets very old and the people well are not very nice most of the time.
    never gets old...and who cares how the people are lol I grew up thinking that was the norm until i moved to texas a year ago. I was shocked at the way people act here. My husband and i thought it was just "weird' but now that we are used to it now we like it.
    Zoe-SiN
    Sinister

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe-SiN View Post
    never gets old...and who cares how the people are lol I grew up thinking that was the norm until i moved to texas a year ago. I was shocked at the way people act here. My husband and i thought it was just "weird' but now that we are used to it now we like it.
    try moving to New Mexico. Now those are cool people in general.

Everyone waves at strangers, starts random conversations and such in my town, i take it that doesn't happen much in NYC? o.o;
    Ahh, I love living in small, sleepy towns.
    Bloody it was on the front of its chest
    and long it barked at the father of magic;
    on rode Odin, the road resounded,
    he approached the high hall of Hel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlokk View Post
    Everyone waves at strangers, starts random conversations and such in my town, i take it that doesn't happen much in NYC? o.o;
    Ahh, I love living in small, sleepy towns.
    Strangers: If they do talk to you it is because they are robbing you and demanding your money! lol

Strangers: If they do talk to you it is because they are robbing you and demanding your money! lol
    I've just always lived in a really freindly hick town :P I wouldn't be used to a city and how unfriendly a lot are. I ain't got any money to take right now so it's all good =D

Zoe

i wouldnt say that. You can go up to a stranger in NYC and ask for directions or something...people just dont go out of their way to be friendly...but are nice. /shrug People give NY a bad rep
    Zoe-SiN
    Sinister

We'll being born and raised in NYC and still living there I can say one thing. If you spend all your time in Manhattan you are 1. NOT seeing all the best NYC has to offer 2. Dealing with thousands of other tourists and people just trying to work who have to deal with tourists .

To those who think everyone's rude, well not everyone is. There are certain places you will find all NYC rude people. Manhattan being one. I'll use a personal example, my boyfriend currently is living in Belgium and he came to visit me his first time ever to the States. I, being the wonderful gf I am took him to the liquor store in my neighborhood in Brooklyn to calm his nerves. While there I met my co-worker who was talking with the store clerk. I introduced her to my bf and him, my coworker, and the clerk had a full conversation about almost everything. Now, to me this is normal I bump into all kinds of people in NYC and we always wind up talking strangers or not. It's almost always normal if someone ease drops on your conversation and then chimes in with their thoughts. I know to many (even my bf) it seemed weird because it's a city seen as busy no time for chatter. In truth it is a busy place and chatter is scarce sometimes, but all us native new yorkers know where to go to get with the communities and have a good time.

It's a great place and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Oh, and to all those lovely tourists (who I greatly appreciate!) I understand the buildings can be breathtaking and staring up at em can really have you in awe at how tall they are. But PLEASE PLEASE have some courtesy, step to the SIDES of the sidewalk when you decide to randomly stop with your family in the middle of the walkway to stare up. That's why we all so grumpy looking you know how many times I actually got stuck between groups of tourists?!? Hey i gotta get to work! Oh, and if someone is rude to you in NY its probably a tourist!

~Sig created by the wonderful Kitty!

i wouldnt say that. You can go up to a stranger in NYC and ask for directions or something...people just dont go out of their way to be friendly...but are nice. /shrug People give NY a bad rep
    My mum is from the suburb part of new york actually, shes the wicked witch of the west. :P

Zoe

Quote Originally Posted by Hlokk View Post
    My mum is from the suburb part of new york actually, shes the wicked witch of the west. :P
    i didn't realize that one person represents the whole state!!! and also, wouldnt she the witch from the east? Since NY is east coast?
    Zoe-SiN
    Sinister

NYC just got on my nerves after 2 years when I lived there for 5 years. It was less about the people and more about the constant loud noise that drove me nuts.

Zoe

NYC just got on my nerves after 2 years when I lived there for 5 years. It was less about the people and more about the constant loud noise that drove me nuts.
    i tell ya as a child when i moved just outside the city, for like the first month it was TOO quiet. But yeah I can understand the noise bothering people.
    Zoe-SiN
    Sinister

i didn't realize that one person represents the whole state!!! and also, wouldnt she the witch from the east? Since NY is east coast?
    I'm not saying she represents the whole state. :P Her accent makes her sound angry is all. And I suppose? I truthfully don't have anything against people from new york, I've just heard they aren't friendly, i know that doesn't represent the whole state. =)

+ Reply to Thread