+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Survey on Nvidia and ATI Graphics Cards

Soulwalker

Default A Survey on Nvidia and ATI Graphics Cards

I'm sure you've seen your fair share of "Nvidia versus ATI" threads, and this isn't meant to be just another one of those. I am working on an English final assignment that I decided was going to be an analytical report comparing Nvidia and ATI. I figure one of the best ways to gather data on this is by going to the gaming and PC communities that care about this topic.

I put together a few breif questions below. I am posting this to several gaming and PC community sites. Your participation by answering these questions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to take up too much of your time, so simple answers (ex. yes or no) is all that I need. But if you wish to expand and discuss your opinion more, you're certainly welcomed to. Please keep it civil.

Thank you for your time.

1. Which graphics chipset brand do you prefer: Nvidia, ATI, or would you use either one?

2. What is more important to you, price or performance?

3. Is buying the latest graphics technology important to you?

4. Do you consider tests and reviews from computer news publications or websites (ex. PCWorld Magazine or Tom's Hardware) when choosing a new graphics card?

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercoco View Post
    1. Which graphics chipset brand do you prefer: Nvidia, ATI, or would you use either one?

4. Do you consider tests and reviews from computer news publications or websites (ex. PCWorld Magazine or Tom's Hardware) when choosing a new graphics card?
    Ok I'll try to answer them.

1. Last several years I've been buying ATI cards. But used Nvidia in the past as well. Guess it's ATI for me now.

2. Both are important. However I'm willing to invest in an expensive card if it'll last me a long time. Usually better then having to buy cheap ones more often.

3. Not necessarily. If it's top of the bill when I buy a new card. That's nice. But I'm not upgrading every time a new(er) card comes along.

4. No. Those test are nice, but I don't follow them. I generally have an idea of what a chipset can do. So I'm buying a good card if my wallet allows me too. And when I need one as well.

Hope this helps.
    http://tweakers.net/ext/f/eLhZ2jgZXrBxjEGYifMex3G8/full.jpg
    Elysaine (High Elf Cleric) ~ Jeannedarc (Mathosian Rogue) ~ Cithaeria (High Elf Mage)
    Guild: Venatus ~ Realm: (EU) Icewatch

I'm sure you've seen your fair share of "Nvidia versus ATI" threads, and this isn't meant to be just another one of those. I am working on an English final assignment that I decided was going to be an analytical report comparing Nvidia and ATI. I figure one of the best ways to gather data on this is by going to the gaming and PC communities that care about this topic.

I put together a few breif questions below. I am posting this to several gaming and PC community sites. Your participation by answering these questions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to take up too much of your time, so simple answers (ex. yes or no) is all that I need. But if you wish to expand and discuss your opinion more, you're certainly welcomed to. Please keep it civil.

Thank you for your time.

1. I used exclusively Nvidia for many years, but not since there was an issue with my card. The original card that came with my PC was recalled; the replacement card died a few months later. When I had it replaced, it was replaced with an ATI card. Prior to this, I would have said I prefer Nvidia, but only because it is better than some of the cards installed in PCs (especially in the past; better cards generally come with newer PCs), and not because I had compared it to ATI.

2. I would say performance is more important.

3. No. Having the latest and greatest graphics does no good unless the CPU is also the latest and greatest... so, when the CPU can no longer keep up, then it's time to replace the entire system.

4. If I happen to see a review, I'll read it, but I don't seek them out before I buy. I do look at reviews printed on the box when I am shopping for a new card.

No preference. I have higher priorities than brand if I am going to be spending money.

It depends on my budget, or if I'm feeling like treating myself, but I'll tend to go for a cheaper graphics card if it's only a few frames per second behind a competitor in benchmarks.

I'm a "visual" person, nice graphics are very important to my enjoyment of a game. I tend to spend a little more than I have to so that I know that, on top of running at the game at max, I am also getting rid of jaggies etc.

Always. Specifically sites like Anandtech, Guru 3D, HardOCP, Custom PC, and Hot Hardware.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

Rich Aemry

Depends on the generation and the game. Rift prefers Nvidia, others perform better on AMD.

BTW there is no longer an ATI the brand was dropped. It's all AMD for when you go shopping.

A ratio of the two. I want the best money can buy without getting ripped off for it.

It depends. If I could get the same performance out of a last generation piece for less cash, then no. I'd have bought an 8800GT over a 9800GT hands down, same with a 9800GTX+ over a GTS 250. I would not have even dreamed of buying a DX10 card after the first DX11 cards came out though.

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/Dig...s/Default.aspx They are pretty unbiased.

I avoid Tom's hardware like the plague. Tom's biases are very well known. The forum attached to his site though has great information. Anything by Ziff Davis is usually too watered down for my taste.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/ A great bunch of guys.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/ I like these guys too. They post Youtube video reviews that include sound comparisons.

Shadowlander

OK, here goes ...

I prefer ATI/AMD but will buy/have bought Nvidea when it was a clearly better deal/better performance

Both; Like buying cars it's always a better deal when the new models are out, todays top of the line is just as good (and a much better buy) tomorrow.

Yes, but only because I don't upgrade cards until I build a new system once every 2 years. Don't play many different games at the same time on the PC so not being able to play new games isn't much of an issue

Benchmarks & google. I usually take to forums more so then what a single editor with a potential bias has to say

Soulwalker

Thank you guys for the feedback. It's a big help, and it's greatly appreciated.

I didn't realize that AMD dropped the ATI name. That's good to know.

Thanks for sharing the sites.

More feedback from anyone else would be great!

Soulwalker

If anyone else could take a couple minutes, it would be great help.

Thanks.

Shadowlander

You might have a better response in the Tech forum. Just be prepared to sift through the ATI/Nvidea fan & hate mail.

Shadowlander

The problem is people get "loyal" to a graphics card company, just like they do to a game, you have haters and fanboys

I have used both Nvida, and ATI, currently using an ATI card, but about to buy my wife a laptop with an Nvida card

I have had little to no issues with either company if you are buying just under the bleeding edge card ( some folks call that leading edge as in latest and greatest ) I never buy the top end card, but the one just under it.

I generally go with NVidia....though I'm considering buying an ATI when I upgrade my card for Skyrim, GW2 and BF3.
    -Isais, Lotham US.

< Buff Clerics >
    We're not recruiting. Sorry.

i wasnt going to post here but the fact you do not seem to accrue a post count has intrigued me.
    so here you go, mr mystery man:

ive always been sold in nvidia, hasnt let me down yet.
    not to say if i saw an amd outperform for less i wouldnt buy it.

performance. ofc

not really, as long as its doing its job i dont see the need for dating hardware

yes i have done in the past before purchasing
    who took my names!

+ Reply to Thread