+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CPU Opinion

Default CPU Opinion

I'm looking for some opinions from some of you system builders out there. Yes, I've always built my (and most of my families) systems, so I know a little about building PC's. So I'm really just looking for personal experience with either of these CPU's to help determine which one I'll be going with in the near future.

The two I'm currently looking at:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor ($179)
    or
    Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor ($569)

I'm not pro AMD/Intel, have had both in the past. Just looking for some good info/feedback to either justify $400 more for a CPU or some "feel good" info about going with the cheaper one

Thanks,
    Hendel

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Sornin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hendel View Post
    I'm looking for some opinions from some of you system builders out there. Yes, I've always built my (and most of my families) systems, so I know a little about building PC's. So I'm really just looking for personal experience with either of these CPU's to help determine which one I'll be going with in the near future.

The two I'm currently looking at:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor ($179)
    or

I'm not pro AMD/Intel, have had both in the past. Just looking for some good info/feedback to either justify $400 more for a CPU or some "feel good" info about going with the cheaper one

Thanks,
    Hendel
    I have the AMD Phenom II X4 965 and it is an excellent, cost-effective CPU. If you are going to be using this machine for gaming and nothing else truly CPU-intensive, it is a no-brainer: go with AMD and either save the money or pump some of it into a better GPU. The i7 would be worth its price if you do a lot of file compression, video editing, graphics, etc. It is faster, there is no question, but that speed is often useless in games which are generally GPU-bound.

You will also save money on the motherboard, by the way. An AM3 board is way cheaper than an LGA 1366 board.

You can consider going with the AMD Phenom II X6, the Thubans. Not as cheap, as what you are looking at, but if you want to "feel better" by spending more and getting two more cores, it will run you around $300 for the top end one (1090T), I think. Not necessary, but it is an option.

I've always built with AMD and have yet to have one fail on me. the top end X6 from AMD are below $300 retail. Coupled with an Asus M4 890 usb 3 Mother board you have a good base for a gaming rig that is extremely scalable. and yes you can run the quads in it as well. The Mother board runs around 150 bucks retail.

I always go with Intel but I use my tower for everything. There is nothing I have found that it can't handle with ease.

The Intel might perform better in a situation where you isolate the CPU performance. In a complete system, paired with a powerful graphics card and plenty of RAM, playing modern games at reasonably high resolution...you probably would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Whatever the real-world performance difference would be, it wouldn't come anywhere near the 300% difference in price.

Add to that the fact that the AMD CPUs come with a much easier to install cooler.

To be honest, I'd probably go a step or two down on the AMD side to get the lower TDP (95W or whatever), because even then the performance difference will be very small and you'll be running cooler and quieter (no pun intended).
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

I was leaning towards AMD, as I really didn't think that $400 more bucks for Intel will be noticed for gaming and/or the other applications I run. I mean if I bench-marked each one I'm sure Intel would have the higher numbers for most things, but in all reality I don't think it would warrant $400.

It sounds like I can go with the AMD, possibly even the Phenom II X6 1090T (just to have six cores ) and then sink that $400 into a video card. maybe even two cards sli/crossfire...

I don't plan on buying the video card now, will wait until December...see what comes out

Might even wait a little longer to see if CPU prices drop or newer versions (new X6 or something) comes out. I have the rest of the stuff, 8gb ddr3 ram, win7pro, 10k hd's, case, power supply, etc. Just wanted to get some opinions (and wait a little longer) for the CPU/Mb purchase. And will wait till the very last moment before I pick up my video card.

thanks all, any other comments/thoughts on this is appreciated!

If money is an issue for you go with AMD. I just wanted Intel and don't want to go into the long list of reasons why. I just won't do AMD vs Intel threads anymore.

the 3 core amd black edition actually has an additional 4th core iirc. you can go into bios and activate it.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Quote Originally Posted by Hendel View Post
    I'AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor ($179)
    or
    No personal experience with either, but this does raise some questions...

- Why are you considering socket 1366 over 1156? 1156 is cheaper, has cheaper parts, and far more selection. I personally think 1366 will be phased out fairly quickly since 1156 is targeting mainstream peeps, while 1366 was always only intended for that teeny tiny percent of extreme peeps.

- Why in the poop are you looking at two such very differently priced CPUs? Are you just comparing the 'high-end' CPU for each manufacturer?

- Are you aware that socket 1366 and 1156 allow for you to use either Nvidia SLI or ATi Crossfire, while with AMD you'd be restricted to Crossfire?

- If you aren't going to build within a month, I'd say don't look very seriously at anything. Within about 3 months parts can change quite a bit (along with prices), so looking at a build that's more than that away really isn't worth looking at IMO. Unless you are 1 month until build time (or really like theorycrafting your build) I'd say don't worry about it, and do some checking back on what's what around October or November.

- Foz didn't pimp his site, but you may want to peep mine if you are curious about more bla bla on (my opinions) on things like socket 1156 vs. 1366 and quad vs. 6 core. (Though again, if you aren't building until the end of the year there may be far more 6 cores out, possibly even 8 cores.) You may even want to peep my system's page for balanced build suggestions. I tend to update the build suggestions every 3 to 4 months, so coming back later closer to your build time is fine. It'd be current.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Just curious, have you given any thought to the i7-930 2.8GHz at $290? I have one of these in my recently built box and it's been a beast so far. I did throw a Noctua cooler on it and have not yet started to tweak any overclocks but even without it I've been extremely pleased. I play things like EQ2 (cpu heavy) with settings maxxed out.

FWIW, if you've seen anything about the Final Fantasy XIV benchmarker that came out a few weeks back, I ran a 4900 high quality/full rez bench with this CPU (non overclocked) paired with a single radeon 5870.

Just my experience/thoughts!

Edit to add: rabb1t above is very correct in timing of purchase vs. need for your build -- there's some interesting things happening with CPUs now and in the next few months (as always) and the prices are always shifting. I bit now to replace a 6 year old machine for XIV beta and Rift and tried to balance futureproofing/longevity with expense and my habits of sticking with MMOs for several years at a time.
    Last edited by Amaryllia; 07-28-2010 at 06:28 PM.

This might help you compare speed. But also compare price. I got an Intel I7 965 Extreme 3.2 GHZ. But I don't suggest you spent $1,000 on a quad core unless you really can use the power. I tried to future proof as much as I could. For me building a really good system is done so it will not become obsolete so fast. Some rigs I have built I have used for 7 years or more but they cost alot. In the end I save money if I use it longer.

http://api.ning.com/files/k83VgQB18V...amdvsintel.png

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    - Why are you considering socket 1366 over 1156? 1156 is cheaper, has cheaper parts, and far more selection. I personally think 1366 will be phased out fairly quickly since 1156 is targeting mainstream peeps, while 1366 was always only intended for that teeny tiny percent of extreme peeps.

- I'd be open to either, no particular reason...the 1366 is a bit more extreme, and don't mind if it's phased out but as you mentioned below, I'll be waiting 3 months and who knows what will be out then.

- Why in the poop are you looking at two such very differently priced CPUs? Are you just comparing the 'high-end' CPU for each manufacturer?

- yes, just looking at the two high-end quad core cpu's...trying to compare an apple to apple (or as close as I can get...quad core,3.2Ghx vs quad core 3.4Ghz, etc.)

- Are you aware that socket 1366 and 1156 allow for you to use either Nvidia SLI or ATi Crossfire, while with AMD you'd be restricted to Crossfire?

- Yup. Not tied to one or the other, if I went with AMD, and I decided to go Crossfire, I'd be fine...but really until games start to truly take advantage of that kind of technology, one top of the line card, either nVidia or ATi will be fine with me.

- If you aren't going to build within a month, I'd say don't look very seriously at anything. Within about 3 months parts can change quite a bit (along with prices), so looking at a build that's more than that away really isn't worth looking at IMO. Unless you are 1 month until build time (or really like theorycrafting your build) I'd say don't worry about it, and do some checking back on what's what around October or November.

- Yeah I'm about 3 months away from CPU/MB purchase. Was really wanting to make a decision on AMD vs Intel, and then just keep my eyes open for the one I want.

- Foz didn't pimp his site, but you may want to peep mine if you are curious about more bla bla on (my opinions) on things like socket 1156 vs. 1366 and quad vs. 6 core. (Though again, if you aren't building until the end of the year there may be far more 6 cores out, possibly even 8 cores.) You may even want to peep my system's page for balanced build suggestions. I tend to update the build suggestions every 3 to 4 months, so coming back later closer to your build time is fine. It'd be current.

- will check out the site and your suggestions, always good to have as much info on something before I purchase it ;)

I have the AMD 965 BE and I love it. Upgraded from a dual core AMD because adobe premiere was taxing my computer too much and it works wonders. Oh, and games look purdy too.
    Stabby Stabby, Pokey Pokey
    Calitar, Calmara, Calidor, Calmereth - Guardian - Wolfsbane
    http://www.virtuegaming.com/portal.php

I don't really know if there is such a thing as 'future-proofing' with gaming tech anymore. I think that basically died out with the last generation. Things we are seeing now are things like the move to Display Port for ATi's Eyefinity, or to 120Hz special monitors for Nvidia's 3D Vision. The last one we saw was from 6-pin PCIe power lines to 8-pin. Right before that happened people were all 'bla bla future proof by getting more cable lines and higher wattage'. Well, neither of those did them any good when the 8-pin GPUs came along. The same thing really happens with CPU sockets all the time. Things like PCIe x16 v2 requires and entirely new board; Sata 3 the same. (Even happening in Home Entertainment now with Blu-ray 3D requiring HDMI 1.4 if you don't want to be cut down to 1080i res.) So if ya ask me, take a look at my lifespan specs and plan around that. I don't think you can plan on a system lasting much more than 3-4 years now at most before you are technologically obsolete. In some cases you'll start seeing technical obsolession in about 2 years or less. So future-proofing? Not so much a fan of it as opposed to targeting more modest build totals and building more frequently. (See my article "Riding the Wave (of technology) vs. Leaping" for more bla bla on that.)
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

I just built my new machine and put a Core I7 2.8 in mine. It wasn't worth the jump in price to go with anything bigger. From what I read you will get better performance out of the I7 and better price from AMD. That's pretty much always been the case. I was able to get a board that supported the 6 core processors, but only got a quad core for now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast