+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: EQ2 introduces a F2P server

no problem, Gore, the eq2flames one is pretty good too if you ask me, no moderation to take peoples points away.

Quote Originally Posted by Githil View Post
    no problem, Gore, the eq2flames one is pretty good too if you ask me, no moderation to take peoples points away.
    Yeah, right now im reading the eq2 offical forums one...it is still quite good

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    no but I think Vanguard will be if it works for EQ 2
    hehe maybe that would actually be good for VG's playerbase though, some fresh blood can't hurt and if they can hire an extra dev with that money that wouldn't be so bad. Ow wait... SOE + VG = well nevermind...

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Sheesh, I'm hearing a lot of bad stuff about F2P. The only F2P game I've played was Runescape, and they had a pretty good F2P system. I played LOTRO before it's going F2P so that doesn't count.
    its = possessive, it's = it is | whose = possessive, who's = who is | your = possessive, you're = you are | too = also or too much, to = to go or to do, two = 2 | their = possessive, there = a place, they're = they are | than = comparative, then = deals with time

Sign these petitions: Halo Reach for PC | Legend of the Seeker season 3 (tv show)

I disagree with the *new* F2P server, but a Trial server isn't really a terribad idea.

However Sony's move isn't to make a Trial server its to make a server thats *free* but ends up costing you more, it is a gimmick just like "Get a FREE credit card" which lures in a lot of the younger generation, then hits them with insane fees/taxes/loopholes/interest.

It actually got so bad at one point in the US that the government had to step in and limit who/how often they could send these offers and IIRC they can't send the actual card in the mail anymore.

Terribad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightscar View Post
    I disagree with the *new* F2P server, but a Trial server isn't really a terribad idea.

However Sony's move isn't to make a Trial server its to make a server thats *free* but ends up costing you more, it is a gimmick just like "Get a FREE credit card" which lures in a lot of the younger generation, then hits them with insane fees/taxes/loopholes/interest.

It actually got so bad at one point in the US that the government had to step in and limit who/how often they could send these offers and IIRC they can't send the actual card in the mail anymore.

Terribad.

Exactly, they way they are handling it is terribad...it just makes no sense

The "evolution" of MMO genre is scarier ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    The "evolution" of MMO genre is scarier ...
    I'm not sure if I'd call free-to-play the evolution of the genre. In this particular case, it was a game that was in a lot of trouble, population-wise, flailing to stay above the water. If the subscribing population was healthy and vital, I really don't think this would have happened. The only other western example that I can think of is DDO, which Turbine was also having a population problem with. The difference is that Turbine actually took the time to properly build their new subscription model. It just happened to work out so well (they've actually added servers since going free-to-play last fall) that they looked at LotRO and said, "You know, it could work here as well".

I know that it's a big trend in the eastern world, but MMO's are a different monster over there. I'm not really worried about all western MMO's becoming these non-subscription games (free-to-play is a crock and anyone who falls for it probably has a habit of doing stupid **** like that). Healthy games will forge ahead with subscriptions. Flailing games will do anything to salvage a win out of the situation.

The Unofficial Oldschool Server - Because a kick-*** community doesn't just build itself.
    Also, be sure to visit RiftSeekers so that Faelor doesn't beat me this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Raevin View Post
    http://everquest2.com/news/read/current/3630

It's the beginning of the end. Actually, more like the middle of the end. Hurry up Rift beta!!!
    I ve been telling this for the last 2 years, SoE are as predictible as the sun rising every morning.
    SoE is dead, they are scraping the barrel, they run out of ideas 10 years ago..............
    Last edited by Xtreme; 07-28-2010 at 12:36 PM.

SOE is testing the waters with this F2P server, seeing what kind of revenue it brings in. If its a big success, you can damn well bet they'll move the other servers in that direction, regardless of what the player base says about it. This is classic SOE at work here. They would gladly discard their current loyal player base in favor of one that brings in more money. Of course this loses face for SOE, but does that even matter? A player can get as mad as they want at SOE, but if they release the next "ideal mmo" for that player, you'd better believe they're going to come back. Its like getting mad at your crack dealer.

Game companies look at MMO's like 10 year investment plans. We're in year 8 with EQ2 right now, and SOE is doing what it can to squeeze that little bit of extra financial performance out of their product before it goes to pasture. This shouldnt surprise anyone.

Shadowlander

Default Rift a new home for EQ2 players

SOE already knows what money they can squeeze from players, they are doing that with Free Realms. If this goes live as i'm sure it will, it is only a matter of time before the player base leaves. And since the only advertising of SOE games is word-of-mouth by the player base, the end of EQ2 will be close at hand. Hope Rift under Scott will be the new home for EQ2 players.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFever View Post
    SOE already knows what money they can squeeze from players, they are doing that with Free Realms. If this goes live as i'm sure it will, it is only a matter of time before the player base leaves. And since the only advertising of SOE games is word-of-mouth by the player base, the end of EQ2 will be close at hand. Hope Rift under Scott will be the new home for EQ2 players.
    I knew it was gonna be my new home way before this, and it seems quite a few eq2 players are interested in it as well, so I'm sure Rift will be their new home hah

Quote Originally Posted by Nightscar View Post

Terribad.
    The only issue with that is there will be no more 14 day free trial for the Live Servers which means that anyone looking at EQ2 now will be automatically herded to EQ2 Extended. With no new players being able to experiment in the 14 day trial any longer this is the death knell for the subscription based servers of EQ2.

Come on Rift...hehe
    Last edited by Cley; 07-28-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TheFever View Post
    Hope Rift under Scott will be the new home for EQ2 players.
    Here's one EQ2 player you can mark down for that. I can't freaking wait for this game!! =D

Quote Originally Posted by Cley View Post
    The only issue with that is there will be no more 14 day free trial for the Live Servers which means that anyone looking at EQ2 now will be automatically herded to EQ2 Extended. With no new players being able to experiment in the 14 day trial any longer this is the death knell for the subscription based servers of EQ2.

Come on Rift...hehe
    This is what the real problem with the new system is. Perhaps it is a massive over reaction by the player base, but I think based on past business moves people have a right to be suspitious.
    Malificant

Co-Leader of Arion
    Unrest server, EQ2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast