+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The life cycle of the MMO Gamer

Plane Touched

Default The life cycle of the MMO Gamer

Because I find this interesting and the vast majority of the MMO population has never seen Nick Yee's work.

If you are interested in the Psychology behind MMOs as much as I am you'll find no end to useful and interesting things about MMOs and why the rants and raves of gamers during these cycles are so... expected. These things only make more sense once you understand the treadmill system we play on which has much to do with the cycles below.

Expansions are a typical way to attempt to restart the cycle and get the ball rolling once more.

*Edit* Adding copypasta link. http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/

In an earlier article, I traced out a player life-cycle from open-ended survey data. In this data set, we’ll fill in that framework with some quantitative data to get a better sense of what changes from stage to stage. The player life-cycle proposed has 5 stages:

1) Starting: The player has just started playing the game and everything is new and exciting.
    2) Ramping Up: The player has learned the basics and is now busy progressing through the content (whether leveling or crafting). They have a sense of where they want to be and are heading for that goal.
    3) Mastery: The player is at the higher-end of the game and is either well-situated in a guild and doing raids, or happily soloing high level quests, or competing in PvP content.
    4) Burn Out: The player feels like they’ve done everything they can do in the game, or they are beginning to feel burned out from all the raid and social obligations from their guild. They wonder where all the fun went.
    5) Casual / Recovery: The player has figured out a way to play the game without burning out. They may be doing intermittent raids, logging in casually to play with friends, casually leveling alts, etc.
    Last edited by Crimsonkirie; 04-04-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Plane Touched

I don't entirely agree that the post was moved considering it pertains to Rift. But at least it wasn't deleted.

+ Reply to Thread