+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Rift going to be a stepping stone game?

Soulwalker

Default Is Rift going to be a stepping stone game?

I just want to ask as I love the game but am concerned as I have read quite a few posts where peeps mention that they are going to leave Rift when "X" game comes out. So if I'm reading into that right that means to no matter how good the game is or becomes a lot of people are going to leave for a more anticipated title and this game for them is at best a "stopgap" measure to kill the time.

I'd be curious to know how many out there are going to leave Rift when, lets say, SWTOR or GW2 comes out? Or will some of those play both games?

Again the game is not perfect but its a really good game off to a great start but I'm afraid no matter what Trion does Rift is going to be relegated to a lower rung on the MMO totem pole.

I am planning on staying for a while, as long as I am still having fun.

It's a matter of game quality. Rift is better / more interesting than the last game that the person played; if it wasn't, they wouldn't be here. If the next game is better than Rift, it follows that people will move on to that game. Should Rift end up being better, they'll try the new game out for a little while and then come right back.

I give Rift overall a 7 out of 10, and if I didn't crash so often, it would be an 8.
    When X game comes out, I'll try that one, and when it's just as good as Rift, without the crashes, I'll leave.
    Officially owned by Alsbeth the Discordant.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=815027&dateline=13020  88690

Elitists and game programmers think alike; The first thinks the game is too easy, the other nerfs the crap out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightrifter44 View Post
    I just want to ask as I love the game but am concerned as I have read quite a few posts where peeps mention that they are going to leave Rift when "X" game comes out. So if I'm reading into that right that means to no matter how good the game is or becomes a lot of people are going to leave for a more anticipated title and this game for them is at best a "stopgap" measure to kill the time.

I'd be curious to know how many out there are going to leave Rift when, lets say, SWTOR or GW2 comes out? Or will some of those play both games?

Again the game is not perfect but its a really good game off to a great start but I'm afraid no matter what Trion does Rift is going to be relegated to a lower rung on the MMO totem pole.
    I'm staying, mainly because I love the game. I hate all things Star Wars and nothing good can come out of NCSoft/ArenaNet, so those two titles don't interest me.

However, any game is a stepping stone to the masses of ADHD kiddies who play MMOs...
    Oh mortal man, is there anything you cannot be made to believe?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelstar View Post
    I give Rift overall a 7 out of 10, and if I didn't crash so often, it would be an 8.
    When X game comes out, I'll try that one, and when it's just as good as Rift, without the crashes, I'll leave.
    I'd suggest that you might wanna fix your computer. There are enough people playing the game with zero crashes ever (I've been playing since Beta 5, and have not had a single crash, not even one...) that I would look at stuff like power supply, video card drivers, BIOS updates...

Quote Originally Posted by Nooodle View Post
    It's a matter of game quality. Rift is better / more interesting than the last game that the person played; if it wasn't, they wouldn't be here. If the next game is better than Rift, it follows that people will move on to that game. Should Rift end up being better, they'll try the new game out for a little while and then come right back.
    /agree

This is all really..

Telaran

RIFT is where I'm sticking for a while... GW2 has no interest for me, and SWtOR is, I feel, doomed to failure due to how Bioware is making the game.

Bioware crafts AMAZING stories. But they craft amazing stories for SINGLE PLAYER GAMES.

When you make a single player game, the narrative of the story takes precedence over the setting of a story, because you are trying to hook the player into the mood of the story and make them FEEL for the characters involved.

When you make a MMOG, the setting must take precedence over the narrative because you cannot craft a proper linear narrative for thousands of players all at once. There is no personal involvement with any one character on the same level as you would for a character in a linear narrative, because EVERYONE is involved all at once. You can have a narrative, but it cannot be anywhere near as gripping or in-depth as that of a single player game.

Now, I'll be the first to say that Bioware is the KING of crafting both narratives and settings. But I fear that they are focusing too heavily on the narrative and not on the setting of SWtOR. It means that you run around with a companion NPC, that every player gets their own starship, rather than say, being able to team up with other players and all party out on the same starship like in the Escape from the Death Star scene in Star Wars IV: A New Hope. Which, let's face it, would be awesome. One character being the engineer repairing damage, another piloting, two others on the guns. Yeah, we're probably not going to get that in SWtOR.

RIFT, to me, has latched onto something that actually fills out the POTENTIAL of MMO's. Most mmo's, let's face it, are single player games with gimmicks that force players to OCCASIONALLY work together and options that SUPPORT players working together, but by no means make it NECESSARY for them to do so.

You can effectively get to the end game of any other MMO by yourself, soloing the entire way. In RIFT, that option is pretty much cut away. You HAVE to work together to keep a zone functioning against planar invasion events, you aren't necessarily FORCED to do so (as you would be if you went into a dungeon), but it is NECESSARY to work together on a MASSIVE scale to beat invasion events. No other MMO does that really.
    A thread for roleplaying newblets and veterans alike: A Beginners Guide to Roleplaying

I personally would like to stay but it appears level 50 is going to get quite boring. I'm almost there and I hope new content to address the endgame is on Trions "to-do" list.
    Dream for 1.3:
    *Crafters Rejoice - We've reduced all deposits when listing your wares on the Auctioneer by 75%. This only applies to player made items.
    *Quest Journal: Increased in size from 25 to 50. Also, guild quests, world event quests and crafting quests no longer contribute to your quest count. No more pesky messages!
    *New Portal System: All death platforms can now be used as portals. Each platform has a short quest that must be completed to unlock it's potential. Travel expenses have been reduced and now cost by the distance traveled and not the distance from your home city.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I'd suggest that you might wanna fix your computer. There are enough people playing the game with zero crashes ever (I've been playing since Beta 5, and have not had a single crash, not even one...) that I would look at stuff like power supply, video card drivers, BIOS updates...
    Done everything I could, but nothing changed. Ofcourse it's my computer, but I'm not gonna buy a new one for years to come. It is like that since 1.1.
    Officially owned by Alsbeth the Discordant.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=815027&dateline=13020  88690

Elitists and game programmers think alike; The first thinks the game is too easy, the other nerfs the crap out of them.

It's going to, not because of the game though, because of it's community. To some, the standards are too high, and it's something no game is realistically ever going to meet. It's not about being a fun game, it's about killing WoW. And to another group, the game is perfect now, and any chance, espececially if it's a feature WoW has, is seen as a decline in the quality of the game which will also lead to jumping ship on the next game that get's their attention.

That leaves the group of us that are playing this game solely because we enjoy it. We're not against WoW, but we're not looking for an exact clone of it, we're the ones that are going to determine the success of this gamge, problem is, we just really seem like the minority right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hetros View Post
    RIFT is where I'm sticking for a while... GW2 has no interest for me, and SWtOR is, I feel, doomed to failure due to how Bioware is making the game.

Bioware crafts AMAZING stories. But they craft amazing stories for SINGLE PLAYER GAMES.

When you make a single player game, the narrative of the story takes precedence over the setting of a story, because you are trying to hook the player into the mood of the story and make them FEEL for the characters involved.

When you make a MMOG, the setting must take precedence over the narrative because you cannot craft a proper linear narrative for thousands of players all at once. There is no personal involvement with any one character on the same level as you would for a character in a linear narrative, because EVERYONE is involved all at once. You can have a narrative, but it cannot be anywhere near as gripping or in-depth as that of a single player game.

Now, I'll be the first to say that Bioware is the KING of crafting both narratives and settings. But I fear that they are focusing too heavily on the narrative and not on the setting of SWtOR. It means that you run around with a companion NPC, that every player gets their own starship, rather than say, being able to team up with other players and all party out on the same starship like in the Escape from the Death Star scene in Star Wars IV: A New Hope. Which, let's face it, would be awesome. One character being the engineer repairing damage, another piloting, two others on the guns. Yeah, we're probably not going to get that in SWtOR.

RIFT, to me, has latched onto something that actually fills out the POTENTIAL of MMO's. Most mmo's, let's face it, are single player games with gimmicks that force players to OCCASIONALLY work together and options that SUPPORT players working together, but by no means make it NECESSARY for them to do so.

You can effectively get to the end game of any other MMO by yourself, soloing the entire way. In RIFT, that option is pretty much cut away. You HAVE to work together to keep a zone functioning against planar invasion events, you aren't necessarily FORCED to do so (as you would be if you went into a dungeon), but it is NECESSARY to work together on a MASSIVE scale to beat invasion events. No other MMO does that really.
    Speaking of SWTOR, I think you may be rushing to judgement a little early, being the game hasn't yet released... Although I understand what you are saying, many things can change upon release, and how much has BioWare really told us? I admit I am a Star Wars fan and am anticipating the release of SWTOR, so I will be a little biased. That being said however I am also a HUGE BioWare fan and I say "WHAT IT WRONG WITH SOMETHING INNOVATIVE!?!?!?!?!?!" I have heard so many folks say "this wont work together" or "that wont work together" and then the same people turn around and say "it's another cookie cutter MMO whine, whine whine." I'm sorta looking forward to "something different" If it does happen to crash and burn, then so be it. At least they had the guts to go somewhere no other company would.

As far as GW2, I never liked the first one, so I don't have much interest in the second. Although i have heard many good things about it, we will just have to wait and see.

Now onto our beloved Rift. Loving the game so far, and I have no major complaints. If the end game is solid (i just hit 50) I may continue to play even after SWTOR is released. If it's just not there, i guess I will move on. I do sincerely hope it will hold my interest for a long time to come, it's one of the better games I have played in a while.

Time will tell!

When I bought Rift I was thinking, "well, this will do until something worth playing comes out."

I haven't changed my mind.

Telaran

I read some stuff by some people; I don't have a brain so I depend on the information by these people but I'm still not sure so I wanted to ask about right on the Rift forums themselves, and I'm also dumb enough to mention off-topic titles such as GW2, and SWTOR, etc. in my post, because, hey, I'm 44 years old and still haven't matured yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbit View Post
    I personally would like to stay but it appears level 50 is going to get quite boring. I'm almost there and I hope new content to address the endgame is on Trions "to-do" list.
    Right I totally agree. Crafting, T1/T2 dungeons, expert rifts, raid rifts, warfronts, and OWPvP isn't quite enough for a recently launched mmo end game. Dammit Trion get your ***** in gear!

/sarcasm

We need a higher amount of KB for sigs D:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast