+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this game at all similar to Everquest 2?

Telaran

Default Is this game at all similar to Everquest 2?

Ok, first let me emphasize. THIS IS NOT AN EVERQUEST 2 VS RIFT THREAD

The reason I ask this is I am REALLY enjoying Rift, at first I wasn't, at first I was very much been there done that but as I started levering and getting more into the questing and more into the invasions and the rifts I got hooked, and I will be resubbing to this game right before my time ends. I think it looks great, plays great and there is alot to do.

My question is then as you have seen from the title, is it like Everquest 2? Everquest 2 has been one of them games that I have always looked at and thought, I could like it. I have never given it the chance because mmorphs are quite an expensive hobbie and I want to be sure that I will actually enjoy the game, I understand theres also a F2P version of everquest 2 available but I thought I would get the opinions of others before jumping in head first into the world of EQ2.

So what are the similarities between that game and this game? Is combat the same? Are there public quests? Is there alot to do outside of just questing, general hobbies type activities such as artifact hunting, crafting and amongst other things?

Let me know guys, I will not stop playing Rift, but I will probably put in just as much time into both if EQ2 turns out to be the game I hope it is, alot of people tell me to try EQ2 when I came back from WoW, apparently Everquest use to be the king before WoW came along so I am just interested in knowing what the second generation of everquest is like : )

Quote Originally Posted by Silock View Post

The reason I ask this is I am REALLY enjoying Rift, at first I wasn't, at first I was very much been there done that but as I started levering and getting more into the questing and more into the invasions and the rifts I got hooked, and I will be resubbing to this game right before my time ends. I think it looks great, plays great and there is alot to do.

My question is then as you have seen from the title, is it like Everquest 2? Everquest 2 has been one of them games that I have always looked at and thought, I could like it. I have never given it the chance because mmorphs are quite an expensive hobbie and I want to be sure that I will actually enjoy the game, I understand theres also a F2P version of everquest 2 available but I thought I would get the opinions of others before jumping in head first into the world of EQ2.

So what are the similarities between that game and this game? Is combat the same? Are there public quests? Is there alot to do outside of just questing, general hobbies type activities such as artifact hunting, crafting and amongst other things?

Let me know guys, I will not stop playing Rift, but I will probably put in just as much time into both if EQ2 turns out to be the game I hope it is, alot of people tell me to try EQ2 when I came back from WoW, apparently Everquest use to be the king before WoW came along so I am just interested in knowing what the second generation of everquest is like : )
    everquest 2 was a good game for me , i really enjoyed it. rift is also a good game. they are very different though. You are already here at rift , give it a shot for a month and see how you like it. If you don't , go try eq2.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by xtorma View Post
    You are already here at rift , give it a shot for a month and see how you like it. If you don't , go try eq2.
    So I can't play two at once? : /

So I can't play two at once? : /
    you can, just have to pay 2 sub fees (unless you do f2p eq2 which really isn't free, just a really limited trial which ends up being more expensive than just subbing).

could always wait till guild wars 2 comes out, it has no monthly sub fee, just a box price. it looks to be excellent and far better than eq2.

i quit eq2 for rift, i dont really like sony all that much. and 2 races of faries just turned my stomach!

Shadowlander

Everquest 2 is old and more polished than this game. Has way more stuff to do. Their crafting, for me is probably one of the best MMO's to attempt crafting.. with Vanguard being similar.

They have a TON of collection quests (Artifacts in Rift) shinies in EQ2
    Seems like Every class can buff or debuff in EQ2 now.. to where all the classes kinda blend in together and arent really Unique apart from the warrior / Clerc / Rogue / Mage

Their player housing Is nice and if your into that kind of thing can be fun to decorate.
    they Have guild Housing as well.
    Lots and lots of stuff to do

They have epic quests that take quite a while to complete but can be worth your time to invest.
    Alot of grinding for faction as well and leveling up.

They have public and private instances for dungeons.. with lock out timers so you can only loot a Valuable treasure chest every few days.

Their AA system falls WAY Short of Everquest's. I feel Everquest did it first and did it Right. EQ2 AA system you have a tree that can only spend a certain amount of points in and you can obtain better skills more abilities etc etc.

If Rift wasnt about I would probably be playing it a few hours a week It is a solid game and superior to Rift.. But Rift is in its infancy and I feel Rift has the potential to equal if not surpass eq2 if they play their cards right.

EQ2 has done a lot over the years to make the game "more accessible" (some would say "easier"). Rift is even more so.

However, one of the things that always bugged the crap out of me about EQ2 was the clunky animations - they don't transition well across various actions. For example, the animation for swinging a large sword continues even if you begin moving, causing your character to sort of skate across the ground as the swing completes. Rift handles that sort of thing very well.

As far as the mechanics go, they are pretty similar - skills/spells that you upgrade over time, menial quest after menial quest after menial quest for advancement, though EQ2 seemed to offer more in the way of the occasional more compelling or involved quest/quest lines.

From a playability standpoint I find the two games extremely similar.
    Careful what you wish for.

Soulwalker

I've played EQ2 on and off since release and right now I would say EQ2 is an excellent game with a greater depth and more features than Rift. With that said, please know that I don't sub to EQ2 anymore and will be be happily shelling out my money for Rift for a while.

EQ2 has been out for seven years and has had so many changes and additions in its maturity that it is unfair to compare it to a game like Rift that has just been released. However most of us who have been playing EQ2 and WoW for many years have felt like we've seen enough of those two titles and have found a new home in Telera.

Here are EQ2's main features
    - thousands of quests
    - the ability to turn off XP so you can actually do thoses quests within your level
    - huge landmasses across many different zone types
    - a huge variety of gear that has an art style somewhere between Rift and WoW
    - player and guild housing
    - can craft furniture and furnish you house with 100's of items
    - a well rounded class system with the typical architypes and some unique combination (ie ShadowKnight = Evil Paladin + a spinkling of mage and cleric)
    - Advanced Achievement system adds an extra depth to character builds
    - ooos shineys! 1000's of collectables that offer exclusive items and gear
    - there are PvP severs but IMHO they generally suck - EQ2 is more LARP'y - less PvP'y

If you have never played EQ2, you are doing yourself a great disservice. However most of us have moved on from the glory days of EQ2 and WoW and have come here. Make sure you pick a high pop server if you decided to try it out. GL

Rift is nothing like EQ2.

As someone that played EQ2 for 6 years, I'll say that Rift is similar to how EQ2 used to be, but still not the same.

Rifts combat is simpler than EQ2, and the content variation is also lower (expected, as EQ2 has seven expansions worth of content). Rift is more 'on rails' than EQ2 used to be, but they have since made EQ2 similar in that regard.

Rift is not as good in many ways as EQ2 used to be, but that game has gone down hill over the last few years, to a point where I personally believe Rift is better than it in all but one area: combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debase View Post
    If the only target audience for Rift is disenfranchised WoW players, its doomed imo.

EQ2 kind of became garbage when they introduced their F2P model. The game itself isn't too bad, but the F2P model which punishes long-time players (pre-F2P) is kind of bad.

But then, it's SOE, so what else would you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Josaline View Post
    Rift is nothing like EQ2.
    seeing as they were both directed by the same man Scott Hartsman, i would say you're wrong and there are many similarities.

EQ2 however has more depth, Rift has better GFX/Animations.

EQ2 feels more like a world, RIFT feels like a bunch of quests strung together leading you down a narrow path.

I played eq2 for 5 years, i don't think i'll be playing RIFT in 5 years.
    Server: Laethys, Guild: Nefarious, Char: Ebonella

my web design: http://www.advancedws.com.au
    I7920, x58 ud3r, 2x5870 crossfire, 3x27"@6080x1080 eyefinity, 6gig, 64&128G SSD, g15, g5, win7x64, hvr2200.

Rift Chaser

EQ2 has way more depth than Rift and the devs aren't nerf happy either.

Shadowlander

Everquest 2 is my favourite MMO that I never play.

It has all the features I love in a game.
    • Enjoyable and Varied Classes
    • Almost Endless Quests.. Quests for Ever even..
    • Collections, Zone and Creature Based Lore Quests
    • Enjoyable Zones, Open World, Instanced, Shared Dungeons and Raids
    • Beautiful and Varied Graphics and zones
    • An excellent AA system that rewards compltionists
    • PvE focus that allows both factions to work together, communicate and even group
    • Rewarding guild level system that allows all members to contribute and doesn't overly punish small guilds
    • Awesome housing and tradeskill systems

So why don't I play it? Sadly.. there are just not enough players for me to happily do so. Maybe now the F2P bit is there I might try that, but since I'm not in the US and Sony pretty much never markets the game here in AUS there are very few people playing it that I can group with.

Also.. their ability to communicate and deal with issues clearly is pretty much zero.. Sony holds the team on a tight leash, financially and with their player interactions. A constantly changing dev team has apparently left the code and game so convuluted that it is almost impossible to work with and they seem constantly stressed, over worked, and under paid.

Edit : Strikes me I should answer the question >.>

Rift is more like WoW than EQ2... but more like EQ2 than WoW is.. the Rift devs actually seem to understand that people want more to do than just quest/pvp/instance... we have collections, I can only hope that this will be the start and we see things like player housing in the long run.
    Last edited by Laikar; 04-02-2011 at 05:25 AM.

Rift IS EQ2 in a Warhammer skin, Rift is nothing but the bastard child of an EQ2 and Warhammer liason, it takes the bad things from both and ignores the few good things from both. /thread.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by doofer View Post
    Rift IS EQ2 in a Warhammer skin, Rift is nothing but the bastard child of an EQ2 and Warhammer liason, it takes the bad things from both and ignores the few good things from both. /thread.
    O.o

Bad things?

Obviously we have a very different definition of bad...

From warhammer they seem to take Public Groups and Quests and turn them into Rifts... that's a good thing, one of Warhammer's few redeeming features..

EQ2 they take collections... also really good..

The bad from them? Well... Warhammer was shackled by GW's artistic and gameplay demands and EQ2 is shackled by Sony being ******s... Trion doesn't seem to have either of those issues?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast