+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Types of MMO Gamers

Default Types of MMO Gamers

The Oldschool Gamer -
    Likes: Penalties for dying, slower leveling pace, giving cheap presents to grandchildren, more grouping than solo'ing.
    Doesn't Like: Simplification, casualization.

The Raider -
    Likes: Hard raids, min/maxing, to show off their 1337'ism, to look down on everyone else.
    Doesn't Like: Anything to do with PvP, casualization, profanity filters.

The "Hardcore" PvPer -
    Likes: FFA PvP, full looting of bodies, PvP everywhere, FPS's.
    Doesn't Like: Team PvP, Safe Zones, anyone who doesn't share similar views.

The Casual - Is not reading this thread right now due to work so no point in writing it.

The Wo-Newer Age of Gamers -
    Likes: fast Leveling, ability to solo to end game, big weapons / armor, trolling.
    Doesn't Like: Any game except WoW, slower leveling, grammar, forced grouping.

The RP'er-
    Likes: Immersing themselves, large books, lore, funny accents.
    Dislikes: 1337 5P34K, trolls, people talking ooc.

EDIT: Disclaimer, this is purely tongue in cheek, no flames needed. If you can't laugh at yourself then I don't know what to say.

Feel free to make more!
    Last edited by Hanlo; 07-18-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Yeah, I'm an old school gamer as well, if you hadn't put more group than solo, and just enjoys pure group content, I'd have to modify it, sure, I like to solo sometimes, but nothing beats a group taking down a hard dungeon, then running off to another one!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    The Oldschool Gamer -
    Likes: Penalties for dying, slower leveling pace, giving cheap presents to grandchildren, more grouping than solo'ing.

You forgot knitting as a crafting choice.

I am most def an old school gamer
    Crowl - Bahmi Justicar/Shaman/Purifier Tank
    Aramon Alshan 32 Riftstalker/34 Nightblade PVP setup
    Sunrest RP-PVP
    Foe's Watch

Why are casual gamers working on Sunday?
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
    Why are casual gamers working on Sunday?
    Everyone's hardcore on something.

Hmm. I can't say I fall into any of these categories. While I DO consider myself a "Casual Gamer" ... it doesn't go with the definition you provided. Any free moment I have (even at work), I'm usually looking through my gaming forums (like this one) reading what everyone else has to say. I do play WoW, but I don't think it's the end-all be-all to MMORPGs. I'm looking into other ones (e.g. Rift). I only like to group with friends because I've been in some crappy-@ss PUGs in my day ... so I do like to solo more often than not. I'm not very good at RPing so I don't belong there, but I do enjoy the lore and I like to become immersed even if I'm not RPing. I don't like leveling TOO fast ... cuz I'm one of those folks that loves exploring the world to see what's out there. I'm not a big fan of Raiding (all those PEOPLE ... ), and most of the time when I witness PvP, it's some high level people ganking the lowbies. I don't like that at all. I don't mind PvP when it's in the proper environment with players that actually can challenge one another.

Yeah, I know your post is tongue-in-cheek ... but ... *sniffles* ... it makes me feel like an outcast since I don't belong in any one category.

(and no, I'm not really crying ... )

The Oldschool Gamer -
    I feel so old

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_79 View Post
    I feel so old
    I classify as old school, and I started playing MMOs at 8 years old, with EQ1, I am now 18...does that make you feel even more 'Old School'?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcnova View Post
    I classify as old school, and I started playing MMOs at 8 years old, with EQ1, I am now 18...does that make you feel even more 'Old School'?
    I take your 8 and raise (lower?) you a 5. 16 now and wondering how I actually played EQ at that age. Funny thing is I remember it all (well most of it)

I take your 8 and raise (lower?) you a 5. 16 now and wondering how I actually played EQ at that age. Funny thing is I remember it all (well most of it)
    No wonder we get along so well...we both played at young ages, and sure, 5 is insane, but did you play a Warrior, and actually MT raids?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcnova View Post
    No wonder we get along so well...we both played at young ages, and sure, 5 is insane, but did you play a Warrior, and actually MT raids?
    lol nope. A bit too young for that one I suppose! I played a monk and had a low level enchanter just for the illusions.

lol nope. A bit too young for that one I suppose! I played a monk and had a low level enchanter just for the illusions.
    Pssh...I'm demoting you to casual player! You aren't worthy of being old school!...

Sorry, Hanlo, but stereotypes never work, especially when they're mostly not even correct. I consider myself a raider and a hardcore PvPer. As a PvPer, I love team battles, as well as FFA (and FFA does not work in this type of MMORPG). As a raider I have nothing against "casualization," as long as in return they make more stuff that's challenging (making old raids for the less-skilled/less time-free and new raids for more skilled/more time-free). The stuff you said just doesn't work with that. I also like to RP sometimes.
    Last edited by ProtoTerminator; 07-18-2010 at 09:18 PM.
    its = possessive, it's = it is | whose = possessive, who's = who is | your = possessive, you're = you are | too = also or too much, to = to go or to do, two = 2 | their = possessive, there = a place, they're = they are | than = comparative, then = deals with time

Sign these petitions: Halo Reach for PC | Legend of the Seeker season 3 (tv show)

Quote Originally Posted by Brangdha View Post
    Sorry, Hanlo, but stereotypes never work, especially when they're mostly not even correct. I consider myself a raider and a hardcore PvPer. As a PvPer, I love team battles, as well as FFA (and FFA does not work in this type of MMORPG). As a raider I have nothing against "casualization," as long as in return they make more stuff that's challenging (making old raids for the less-skilled/less time-free and new raids for more skilled/more time-free). The stuff you said just doesn't work with that. I also like to RP sometimes.
    This wasn't an attempt to really define every type of gamer, but more to poke fun at ourselves who may happen to fall into one of these categories. I don't know how else I could have emphasized that in my original post. I even put up a disclaimer =-p

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast