+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sony’s MMO Makers Close Three Studios, Lay Off One-Third Of Workforce

Telaran

Default Sony’s MMO Makers Close Three Studios, Lay Off One-Third Of Workforce

Sony Online Entertainment, makers of D.C. Universe Online and Free Realms, closed three studios and will lay off nearly a third of its workforce, Kotaku has learned.

Word began spreading when George Broussard, best known as the co-creator of Duke Nukem Forever, tweeted earlier this evening that SOE was seeing layoffs and “studio closure is possible.” Kotaku has confirmed through a source familiar with the matter that the closures affect SOE’s studios in Seattle, Tucson, Ariz. and Denver. Half of the workforce at SOE offices in Austin, Texas were pink slipped along with a sizeable portion of San Diego. In sum, it accounts for nearly one-third of SOE’s manpower before today.

Kotaku has reached out to Sony Online Entertainment for official comment. Any statement will be updated here.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/03/son...-of-workforce/

http://www.inewsphilippines.com/2011...rkforce-rumor/

Sword of Telara

sony fail for a long time.
    but D.C. Universe Online is most likely the biggest mistake of humanity.
    it can compete with Dark light, that ****ing company still owns me money.

Plane Walker

You know they are having issues when their spotlight games are "DC Universe and Free Realms" as opposed to the past where it would have been "Everquest."

General of Telara

After what they did to Everquest I have no sympathy for any of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Many have quitted, they are lost almost half of the servers they started. I hop in next MMO for sure. Rift is awesome game but PVP is just crap.
    Lol really now?

Maybe Trion can snag some of the more talented individuals that got laid off (though stay away from anyone in SOE's upper management I'd say).
    Mabes Tion Varos

Ascendant

Damnit, if Planetside Next was one of them.

Sony needs to aquire Runescape ASAP!

Anyone playing SWG could see this coming a mile away, I left while the getting was good.

I wonder if this means any game cancellations a.k.a. "The Matrix Option." Idle speculation I suppose. There are a lot of Vanguard players who moved to Rift, I'm not sure about other games (no need to mention WoW in this space) but I know it would sting to see some great IPs get shutdown. Guess we'll find out...

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Anasasiel View Post
    I wonder if this means any game cancellations a.k.a. "The Matrix Option." Idle speculation I suppose. There are a lot of Vanguard players who moved to Rift, I'm not sure about other games (no need to mention WoW in this space) but I know it would sting to see some great IPs get shutdown. Guess we'll find out...
    former Vanguard player here /wave

Rift Disciple

sorry to the people who lost their jobs but SOE deserves to die. I hope this comes as a reminder to all mmo devs everywhere that if you treat your playerbase like sh** we will take our money elsewhere & laugh as you die in a pool of your own vomit.

The giants that fail to evolve with their demographic fall(myspace, xanga, microsoft).
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsc View Post
    The giants that fail to evolve with their demographic fall(myspace, xanga, microsoft).
    Microsoft is falling? What?

DCUO is crap. The interesting part of the game ends the moment you're done with character creation.

Perhaps the devs of mmos will finally learn nothing good can come out of a super hero themed game.
    Last edited by Chomag; 03-31-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Damnit, if Planetside Next was one of them.
    it was not, its developed at SOE HQ.

thank the lord!
    SKYeXile - Future Crew - PlanetSide - Taste the Rainbow
    Xile - Telara Rift Fellowship - Aion - WAR - RIFT

The colour mangeta, rainbows and tasting the rainbow are trademarks of Future Crew Gaming.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast