+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What WoW did wrong

Shadowlander

Default What WoW did wrong

Is it just me or do you feel this way too?

When i really started to see it go downhill just in my own personal opinion was taking the reward out of raiding. Of course you still get the reward of killing the boss with friends and stuff and thats cool but rewards in games used to make you feel differentiated from the "lower beings" of the world simply because you kicked more *** and put more time in.

The content in WoW has always been extremely fun to me, most of the time it blew my mind. Its all really well coreographed or whatever and only gotten more-so over time simply because they had to make the content available to a much more casual gamer. So the fights are somewhat easier as far as length but the co-ordination required to do the hardest modes in the game is pretty sweet.

Gear is probably the biggest reward. How could it not be? You grind bosses and instances weekly to earn it. So what happens when every single player in the game, casual or hardcore is wearing the same exact gear set with possibly slightly higher or lower stats?

I dont know about you but WoW lost its sense of reward for me when they started handing out damn near raid equivalent gear from heroic badges.
    I still played it tho, of course, i made tons of friends and i loved the content, ive always loved the content.
    I had full every single tier set on my priest from the very beginning, i grinded that and had a ton of fun raiding it too.
    The content in WoW oh man how incredible i think it is.

I wasnt able to enjoy it as much as i used to tho. If youve played WoW as long as i have you may know what i mean.
    I still played but i found myself chillin in town alt tabbing and browsing the net all the time.

I dont need to feel "elite" to feel rewarded, i just want to feel rewarded for conquering the hardest content.
    The last rewarding feelings i remember are of course killing the bosses with my friends, wonderful people, and getting a mount.

A mount.
    Thats the last reward i remember getting from pretty much every raid.
    Theres a lot of incredible things in WoW, the content is avast? i think thats right, whatevs.

To me it just lost its rewarding feeling, a real one, like i actually did conquer a great boss fight.

Not only did they homogenise the classes more and more and more but they homogenised the gear sets. (How do you spell that freakin word?)

Im pretty sure theres more but i need to stop writing now.
    I love WoW as a whole but ya know.

Rift Disciple

Great points, and I'm sure a lot of people agree with you. For as many similarities as Rift has to the aforementioned game, I don't think Trion is going to run this game into the ground the same way they did. It seems like Trion is listening to their players here on the forums and that's a great place to start.

Trion, please keep the loot from end game content rare and superior to everything else so that only the people who devote the time and effort get those rewards!

Honestly, I felt like Cata was a rip off. We didn't get new zones, we got junk they were too lazy to fix when they first put it in back in Vanilla. Going from T10 to greens sucked. No epic drops from the last boss in heroics. Cata was just some thrown together crap to make money. I love my gnome girls, but I hate Cata.

Commodore BASIC 2.0
    CPU: @ 1.023 MHz (NTSC version)
    RAM: 64 kB RAM + 20 kB ROM
    Video: VIC-II (320 200, 16 colors, sprites, raster interrupt)

People are entirely too traumatized over WoW. Get over it already, WoW didn't kill your dog or cause your relationship to end.

1. WOW didn't do anything wrong. It is a 6 year old game that is naturally starting its "been there done that" burn out phase for people. There is a reason Blizzard started a new MMO. And even with that it is still the biggest MMO by a massive amount.

2. If you think WOW did it wrong then you have to be more than a bit concerned that Rift spent so much time pretty much copying (and in some cases improving) the WOW design to such a tee. Yea, Rift dipped into Warhammer for rifts but that is pretty much it. The soul thing while cool is simply a product of collapsing WOW classes down to four and spreading out their trees.

3. The Rift game is the WoW end game. When you get to 50...it will smack you right in the face.

Just get over WOW. If you are enjoying Rift then nothing WOW did or will ever do should bother you. However if you are fixated on WOW perhaps you are a bit insecure about your time here in Rift.

Fix valor Trion!
    Hi, I am a warrior with no skill. I am going to hug your cleric *** and mana drain you with one button because; well I got nothing else to do. "Three seconds afterward, the cleric is out of mana"
    NERF WARRIORS MANA DRAIN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

I would say the opposite is what killed it for me, for me it is what there is to do. Raids are great and all but due to the coordination of raiding, it cannot stand alone since it solely revolves around other people's schedules. So what is left, that is what killed WoW for me.

I have played WoW since CB vanilla and have played every aspect the game has offered from the hardcore to the casual. I personally loved how Wraith made everything accessible because it gave me much more to do. I often wonder if all these people complaining about Wraith being too easy were simply just playing one character. I loved the fact that I could easily gear up many toons, once my main did all his dailies, raids, heroics, I could switch to an alt and do them all again, then onto another alt thus I always had something to do. I loved the fact that I didn't have to rely on my guild/guildies to have something to do as there was always a PUG raid to join. This allowed me to deck out my main and 3 alts thus allowing the content to last longer even though you are doing essentially the same thing again.

Cataclysm changed all that, it made encounters more challenging which I don't mind but as a result, it killed the PUG raid and as a result easily gearing up my alts became a monumental challenge. This left me solely working on my main which caused me to run out of things to do very very quickly and once again relying on my guild to get anything done. One day it dawned on me how badly things went wrong when I was bored a week after hitting 80 and the only thing left to do is dailies and one daily dungeon for Valor. Later I was looking at my gear (before quitting I was at about 9 epics), every single epic I had on I either crafted myself or bought on the AH. So in cata, my way of gearing up had nothing to do with the way I did it in prior expansion packs, why am I farming the AH instead of raiding/dungeons. I remember many times linking my new shiney epic in guild chat and when asked where I got that, I would respond "epic AH drop" but that quickly became not so funny to me.

So it didn't take much to transition to Rift where I can farm my gear multiple ways. There is so much to do now, so many ways to get gear. Hell I can PvP for PvE gear again, yay no resilience, I can raid for gear, I can run dungeons, farm rep, farm rifts, craft, the list goes on and on.

All I want is something to do, some way to improve my character and thus far Rift answers that call, thanks Trion keep up the good work!

Guys alright already with the WoW crap -- you want to talk WoW all the time...here's a thought go to the WoW forums..this is Rift now.

Or at least post in off topic, because talking about ANOTHER game is certainly not ON topic in the general forums of said other game.

Imi
    Ascendant

What Blizzard did wrong was not realize that the biggest reward in any MMO is the SENSE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT, not gear.

If the developers are convinced that it's gear, then it makes sense to streamline the game so that players get gear as rapidly as possible. This is what happened with the LK release although the seeds were planted midway through the BC expansion.

At first, when gear actually represented accomplishment (from the classic and BC mindset), this sudden acquisition of epic gear was a "rush" for players because now everyone felt like an accomplished endgame raider.

But after a while, it becomes obvious that everyone can't possibly be an accomplished endgame raider so people started to realize that gear was nothing special anymore.

So people started leaving the game. Population naturally spiked with the Cata release, but now it's plummeting again.

That MMO is in its death throes.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Fistantilus View Post
    Guys alright already with the WoW crap -- you want to talk WoW all the time...here's a thought go to the WoW forums..this is Rift now.

Or at least post in off topic, because talking about ANOTHER game is certainly not ON topic in the general forums of said other game.
    My bad. oopsy

Telaran

Wow environment was in the gutter , no one took responsibility for themselves they did as they please and blizz did Nothing about it. Wowo also made it to the point where Only leetist could get the gear , cause if you didnt have the GS/Ilvl/Achievements you didnt raid anything cept your own fridge, and being a casual player Raiding guilds wont have you . Then there was Cata, thats where the bombs fell , Hard core raiders got harder, the game became a JOB . Research the fights, farm for gold to pay for your repairs and consumables, By that time i didnt have time to actually play. Someday Rift will prolly go the way of wow but that will be years and then there will be a game dubbed the rift killer.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGee View Post
    Honestly, I felt like Cata was a rip off. We didn't get new zones, we got junk they were too lazy to fix when they first put it in back in Vanilla. Going from T10 to greens sucked. No epic drops from the last boss in heroics. Cata was just some thrown together crap to make money. I love my gnome girls, but I hate Cata.
    You know I don't think Cata was a ripoff, I loved the world changing and I can't wait to get to go to ZA/ZG and throw down as well.
    I just couldn't go only 5 levels and then have to grind again to kill another giant monster. I did it too much with LK, Rift atleast gives me a good 50 new levels before I have to go back to grinding to kill another giant monster
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    np feel free to ask. The general forums are useful, but we argue in other threads to pass the time at work

Quote Originally Posted by Zylla View Post
    You know I don't think Cata was a ripoff, I loved the world changing and I can't wait to get to go to ZA/ZG and throw down as well.
    I just couldn't go only 5 levels and then have to grind again to kill another giant monster. I did it too much with LK, Rift atleast gives me a good 50 new levels before I have to go back to grinding to kill another giant monster
    I think I was burned out, RIFT came along at the right time. I'm totally enjoying my dwarves and the story I have made up for them.

Commodore BASIC 2.0
    CPU: @ 1.023 MHz (NTSC version)
    RAM: 64 kB RAM + 20 kB ROM
    Video: VIC-II (320 200, 16 colors, sprites, raster interrupt)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Zylla View Post
    Cataclysm is mostly recycled content, I think thats why I burned out of it within a few weeks. I have absolutely NO desire to spend any more time in ZG or ZA, ever. I don't care if the bosses are different, its still ZG and ZA...bleh.

I think im just spent with that game, I probably will check it out for the next xpac @ lvl90 but right now I have absolutely no desire to play it. Cataclysm did nothing for me.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Cataclysm is mostly recycled content, I think thats why I burned out of it within a few weeks. I have absolutely NO desire to spend any more time in ZG or ZA, ever. I don't care if the bosses are different, its still ZG and ZA...bleh.

I think im just spent with that game, I probably will check it out for the next xpac @ lvl90 but right now I have absolutely no desire to play it. Cataclysm did nothing for me.
    I really loved all the new content in Cata.
    The recycling of content although can anger the "vets" is perfect for the newer players which never experienced those older raids.

I was totally against recycling the content when i first heard of it, but i think Blizzard did a damn fine job of it.
    Its better recycling it and putting it to good use than just letting it go to waste and be barren.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Germaximus View Post
    I really loved all the new content in Cata.
    The recycling of content although can anger the "vets" is perfect for the newer players which never experienced those older raids.

I was totally against recycling the content when i first heard of it, but i think Blizzard did a damn fine job of it.
    Its better recycling it and putting it to good use than just letting it go to waste and be barren.
    Well thats fine but I played wow since open beta, and I want something new, not ZA and ZG lol

I hope all the new players enjoy it, while im enjoying other things

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast