+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Activision Blizzard Must Be Terrified? - Explained

Soulwalker

Default Activision Blizzard Must Be Terrified? - Explained

I posted the following in the general discussion forum on worldofwarcraft.com. I submitted this post with my level 85 Tauren druid healer. Within literally 4 minutes, the post was deleted. Within that time I had 17 replies, there is obviously a demand for this type of discussion on their forums, but they WILL NOT allow it. Here is the post, let me know what you think.

Tittle : What do you think Trion v Activision BlizzardWhat do you think Trion v Activision Blizzard

*****" Blues... please do not delete this thread, if need-be just remove the flamers? I would like to start a serious and mature discussion on the communities’ opinion, and empirical evidence on the differences and similarities between Trion and Activision Blizzard.

I would like to start by saying I am and always will be a dedicated Blizzard fan. Notice I said Blizzard, not Activision Blizzard. I literally own every game Blizzard has ever created, yes even the combat racing ones for SNES, and I have enjoyed them all very much. I have been playing wow since vanilla, not since launch but suffice it to say for a very long time.

I remember first playing Warcraft I; thinking to myself that I found a game company that gets it right. And it only went up from there, Warcraft, Diablo, and Starcraft are all wonderful series, and I would be hard pressed to admit how much of my life I have spent playing these franchises.

An IRL friend turned me onto to RIFT the day before it came out. I had no idea of anything about it at all. I saw my friend playing, and liked how it didn't look so "cartoonish" and thought I would give it a try. So on March 1st, at 12:01am I bought a copy from my local Wal-Mart. Since installing the game and starting a Guardian Warrior, I have not logged back into my WoW account once, not even to check my mail for gold from AH sales.

I find this a bit peculiar. In the past, I have actually tried to quit wow for work, a girlfriend, and to work-out and improve my physical condition. All of these attempts failed, and I always ended coming back to wow.

One of the major differences I have noticed with RIFT, is that Trion makes a very serious attempt to listen, and communicate with their community of players. It can be argued that Trion's community is much smaller so this task is more easily achievable, however I don't believe that is an excuse for Activision Blizzard.

Also, WoW is a game of evolution. It has grown into what it is now. I will be the first to say that yes, RIFT took A LOT from WoW, when I first logged into RIFT the first thing I said was "this looks like WoW". Now that I have reached level 46 (out of 50 max) I realize that what Trion did was try to take the best from WoW and implement it from the get go. This leaves only upward mobility for the game to "evolve" into something better and more expansive.

While they did take a lot from wow, Rift has its own uniqueness as well. The Rifts are great, and invasions force you to take part in the world community. Also the ability to be so flexible with your class is wonderful. Along with other minor enhancements (like group loot), Rift just feels more like a complete package.

RIFT's graphics are much better than those in WoW. When I first started to play WoW the only issue I had with the game was the "cartoon" look of it. I carried this grudge with me up until the day I left, and still feel it is the game's major drawback. If you haven't seen some screenshots from RIFT, go take a look. They are simply superior to WoW.

The last point I would like to make is that Activision has effectively taken Blizzard over. With a 52% share holding, Activision is the dominant partner in the relationship. Given the history of Activision, I was immediately turned off by this merger. For some history on the merger, go here : http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=128252 .

My opinion is that Activision is obviously driven by the mission of "Milk as much as you can from as many as you can". I do not believe they give a damn about the player community, or their opinions or input. They only care about selling "virtual items" which to them is free money, and making sure expansions are separate packages which are chargeable.

In contract Trion is showing in force that they WILL and DO listen to and work with the player community, which in the end is the lifeblood of their company.

I have noticed anecdotally that many players are leaving WoW for RIFT. I hear that this is a Fad, but for me it is not. If you look at my avatar I have obviously done the end game content in WoW, and have a long history of end game content as well as high level player (pvp, crafting, making gold, etc). I will not be coming back to WoW, Rift is my home for now.

I will be back for project Titan, at least to try it out. Oh and bet your *** I will be playing Diablo III. My only beef with Blizzard is that they merged with Activision, I just feel like right now... Rift > WoW.

What do you think? Please note I will not rebuke any opinions or argue with you, I simply want to know what do you think. "*****

That was the entire post. Just wanted to let you know, they will not allow ANY discussion on this matter in their forums.
    Last edited by Cheaplogic; 03-30-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Despite it prefacing that it was meant to be serious and mature discussion using empirical evidence, it just seems like a mix of Trion fanboyism/trolling flame bait. The compliments for Trion were gushing.

And this coming from someone who left WoW right at the end of Vanilla and pretty much never came back.

Very well thought out and nicely written. I enjoyed reading it and mostly agree with everything. Shame that Blizzard wont allow any mention of Rift on their forums.

I expect here you will still get the "WoW is better" response, but only until they don't renew their sub... hopefully soon.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlebox View Post
    Despite it prefacing that it was meant to be serious and mature discussion using empirical evidence, it just seems like a mix of Trion fanboyism/trolling flame bait. The compliments for Trion were gushing.

And this coming from someone who left WoW right at the end of Vanilla and pretty much never came back.

"communities’ opinion, and empirical evidence"

Much of the post was my own personal opinion, and yes I do favor RIFT.

the "and" makes that OK.
    Last edited by Cheaplogic; 03-30-2011 at 08:19 AM.

there is nothing unique about rift warhammer pq's are your most loved rift public quests. Blizzard is doing nothing but not letting you talk about a stupid topic in there game and why would they be scared? This game is a BAD carbon copy of wow and always has been , during beta so many people quit this game over it and never came back. You guys are seriously delusional to think stuff like this , this game will never ever be some big game just because some of you want it to be so bad. Its a carbon copy of all of wow's mechanics and the funny thing about is Scott hartman and the rest of there no talant warhammer reject team , how does it feel to have ZERO creativity and just make a cash grab when you preach you love to make games its your passion? Rift convo's come up on wow servers all the time and they are quickly laughed about and dismissed by 90% of the people in the chats. Oh and barrens chat is by far no worse then forum chat here.
    www.deceptionrift.guildportal.com DAOC, WAR, WOW, R.I.P

Shield of Telara

Lol, you posted a commercial for Rift. I think common sense would tell you the post was going to be deleted.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by delirious View Post
    Lol, you posted a commercial for Rift. I think common sense would tell you the post was going to be deleted.
    What I had posted was my opinion, as along standing and avid Blizzard fan and customer. I can understand what you are trying to say, however I believe that does not condone censorship.

Soulwalker

I actually completely agree. I however, still dont think rift is better than wow...I do think it will be, as Wow was done innovating quite a while ago...

I am enjoying Rift because it is a different world with new lore, new art style, ect...I am so damn bored of wow, and Im sure alot of people are. I think they should be terrified- Until now, customers would eat whatever crap they were flinging. Because of this, they chose to evolve what was safe, which resulted in a super polished and highly focused game that didnt really cover alot of new ground and would be destined to grow old, once other competition with sufficient funding and strong enough people (Trion, Anet) would come to the market.

I can already see Trion is not afraid to turn things upside down...lets hope this stays. They are swift to act, and very in tune with what we are saying. It has never been so important to voice your opinion about things that need to be changed, because if it fits, they will do it!

I do want to make one thing clear however...Activision Blizzard is the same company, with the same love/need of money. They are a business and are not to be separated. You cant blame all the bad stuff on activision...Blizzard is greedy too. Blizzard will very likely police their forums removing threads that would lead to other subscribers becoming curious. You cant really get mad at that, they are not a government running a country, they are a business trying to make money and protect their investment. Free speech is absolutely out the window.

Rift is not perfect, but I will take my complaints to a different thread...very much enjoying this game.

WoW general forums aren't meant for other games.

They have an OT section.

Open the door. Get on the floor.
    Everybody walk the dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheaplogic View Post
    That was the entire post. Just wanted to let you know, they will not allow ANY discussion on this matter in their forums.
    The official forums aren't intended for this type of debate, as it's nothing to do with the game. You may argue otherwise, but you're talking about the business of MMOs, and there's too much flamebait in there for any professional CM to allow.

Banned

Blizzard's official position is pretend like it does not exist. Blizzard HAS NEVER had any
    actual competition in this market.

They have enjoyed a monopoly on the NA/EU market and their actions indicate they act like it.
    If they were smart they would advertise their product and compete, but their "pretend like
    it does not exist and it will go away approach" will fail.

2011 is far different from 2010 where they got a breaks because NCSoft is an incompetent
    company and Mythic got ran into the ground so WAR failed. Now they have to deal with games
    that have actual developers and funding and their target audience is NA/EU.

Gw2/Rift/SWToR are all this year and their target audience is NA/EU, so the assumption is
    they will all invest heavily and go after Blizzard. SoE's CEO said he was already going after
    them.
    Last edited by Puremallace; 03-30-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Too much RIFT fanboism, I can see why they deleted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebhatesyou View Post

They have an OT section.
    They haven't had an OT forum since the release of Cata when they switched over to their new forum software.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    It is difficult to argue with a whole generation of self entitled petulant children with a battle cry taken from Veruca Salt.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Nebhatesyou View Post

They have an OT section.
    No, they don't. They dropped it but are thinking about bringing an OT back.

Yeah, while I've seen much much worse on the wow forums, and you certainly didn't just write "OMG BLIZZ WOW SUXXZORS WTF IHATE U KTHXBAI"...

it was kind of a love letter to Trion.

So I can see why they wouldn't want to leave that up on their forum, heh.
    Can i has fox?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast