+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Activision Blizzard Must Be Terrified? - Explained

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Cheaplogic View Post
    I posted the following in the general discussion forum on worldofwarcraft.com. I submitted this post with my level 85 Tauren druid healer. Within literally 4 minutes, the post was deleted. Within that time I had 17 replies, there is obviously a demand for this type of discussion on their forums, but they WILL NOT allow it. Here is the post, let me know what you think.

Tittle : What do you think Trion v Activision BlizzardWhat do you think Trion v Activision Blizzard

*****" Blues... please do not delete this thread, if need-be just remove the flamers? I would like to start a serious and mature discussion on the communitiesí opinion, and empirical evidence on the differences and similarities between Trion and Activision Blizzard.

I would like to start by saying I am and always will be a dedicated Blizzard fan. Notice I said Blizzard, not Activision Blizzard. I literally own every game Blizzard has ever created, yes even the combat racing ones for SNES, and I have enjoyed them all very much. I have been playing wow since vanilla, not since launch but suffice it to say for a very long time.

I remember first playing Warcraft I; thinking to myself that I found a game company that gets it right. And it only went up from there, Warcraft, Diablo, and Starcraft are all wonderful series, and I would be hard pressed to admit how much of my life I have spent playing these franchises.

An IRL friend turned me onto to RIFT the day before it came out. I had no idea of anything about it at all. I saw my friend playing, and liked how it didn't look so "cartoonish" and thought I would give it a try. So on March 1st, at 12:01am I bought a copy from my local Wal-Mart. Since installing the game and starting a Guardian Warrior, I have not logged back into my WoW account once, not even to check my mail for gold from AH sales.

I find this a bit peculiar. In the past, I have actually tried to quit wow for work, a girlfriend, and to work-out and improve my physical condition. All of these attempts failed, and I always ended coming back to wow.

One of the major differences I have noticed with RIFT, is that Trion makes a very serious attempt to listen, and communicate with their community of players. It can be argued that Trion's community is much smaller so this task is more easily achievable, however I don't believe that is an excuse for Activision Blizzard.

Also, WoW is a game of evolution. It has grown into what it is now. I will be the first to say that yes, RIFT took A LOT from WoW, when I first logged into RIFT the first thing I said was "this looks like WoW". Now that I have reached level 46 (out of 50 max) I realize that what Trion did was try to take the best from WoW and implement it from the get go. This leaves only upward mobility for the game to "evolve" into something better and more expansive.

While they did take a lot from wow, Rift has its own uniqueness as well. The Rifts are great, and invasions force you to take part in the world community. Also the ability to be so flexible with your class is wonderful. Along with other minor enhancements (like group loot), Rift just feels more like a complete package.

RIFT's graphics are much better than those in WoW. When I first started to play WoW the only issue I had with the game was the "cartoon" look of it. I carried this grudge with me up until the day I left, and still feel it is the game's major drawback. If you haven't seen some screenshots from RIFT, go take a look. They are simply superior to WoW.

The last point I would like to make is that Activision has effectively taken Blizzard over. With a 52% share holding, Activision is the dominant partner in the relationship. Given the history of Activision, I was immediately turned off by this merger. For some history on the merger, go here : http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=128252 .

My opinion is that Activision is obviously driven by the mission of "Milk as much as you can from as many as you can". I do not believe they give a damn about the player community, or their opinions or input. They only care about selling "virtual items" which to them is free money, and making sure expansions are separate packages which are chargeable.

In contract Trion is showing in force that they WILL and DO listen to and work with the player community, which in the end is the lifeblood of their company.

I have noticed anecdotally that many players are leaving WoW for RIFT. I hear that this is a Fad, but for me it is not. If you look at my avatar I have obviously done the end game content in WoW, and have a long history of end game content as well as high level player (pvp, crafting, making gold, etc). I will not be coming back to WoW, Rift is my home for now.

I will be back for project Titan, at least to try it out. Oh and bet your *** I will be playing Diablo III. My only beef with Blizzard is that they merged with Activision, I just feel like right now... Rift > WoW.

What do you think? Please note I will not rebuke any opinions or argue with you, I simply want to know what do you think. "*****

That was the entire post. Just wanted to let you know, they will not allow ANY discussion on this matter in their forums.
    Try posting a thread that talks all about WoW's good features. And you will see it get deleted just about as fast. WoW's forums just like this forum. Is there for the discussion of their game. not for other games. Unless they have some off topic forums where they would let some things like this go.

Sword of Telara Tuatha de Danaan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sskzins View Post
    What do you mean I'll be back? I never quit. Crazy, I know, I actually play 3 these types of game.

Also, I'm guessing reading comprehension was never really your strong point. Remember the WoW forums, when literally every MMORPG since WoW was released? Remember all the CONSTANT claims that "this game is going to kill wow." "This is the best MMO ever.," stuff like that? It's not a delusion that people just get tired of it after a while.

The community, not Blizzard, was requesting and reporting the CONSTANT stream of Rift posts popping up every day. It wasn't mature discussions about the game, it was the same "RIFT IS THE WOW KILLER" posts that everyone is just tired of.

Also, a business lesson.... BLIZZARD HAS MORE MONEY THAN TRION. They're going to use that money to keep making more money. Everything they add to this game to try to make it better than otehr existing MMOs, guess what Blizzard is going to do.

The new game has the burden of making itself successful. And that success doesn't mean that WoW is going to die.

You're the typical Rift fanboy that has that attitude that because Rift exists, WoW is dead. Get out of your little dream world, it doesn't work like that. Blizzard isn't scared because they have an established, successful MMORPG full of people who have no interest in ever touching this game.

I'm not being a fanboy, im being someone that actually uses his brain once in a while and thinks.
    My reading comprehension is fine, you're not complex. You're talking out your ***, replacing the word "ME" or "I" with "Blizzard" and "The WoW community" as people often do, you back your already weak statements with simple appealsto authority.

All those "This game will kill WoW" posts are always stupid. WoW can't be killed by any one game. The players are too far gone to show any objectivity any more. Blizzard can and arguably does, **** in your mouth and you thank them for it.

You'll never go broke underestimating the American public. Blizzard exemplifies this principle. You affirm it's justification.

As for being a Rift fanboy, you're basing this on what exactly? When have I said WoW is dead? I haven't, but talking out your *** seems to be something of an artform for you. Wow should die. Because it's turned mmorpg gamers into idiots.
    I don't think they're "afraid" However, only a complete fool takes their established success for granted. It's that sort of complacency, that has led to the mediocrity that WoW has become.

I'm not the one speaking in the name of Blizzard, Trion or their communities, or telling peope what games they'll return to, what other people are afraid of.

That's all you.
    Heh "reading comprehension"...
    I read "Blizzard's not afraid, and you'll be back if you quit!"

My point was you sounded like a *******. Not that your imaginary degree in stating the obvious about which company is making a bunch of money was unfounded.
    Last edited by Tuatha de Danaan; 03-31-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    "On ne voit bien qu'avec le cúur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    You can see clearly only with your heart. What is truly important is invisible to the eyes
    - Fox to the Little Prince.

The Code I Live By:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqz5dbs5zmo

It's obvious if you follow Blizzard that they are pretending to be involved with their community, feigning any sense of care moreso than before. They know Trion has brought a solid product that is a threat to their bottom line.
    Last edited by Graviteh; 03-31-2011 at 09:11 PM.
    Deepstrike Guardian
    Expert - Rogue

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Sskzins View Post
    I doubt Trions forum admins can keep up at all with the mess we've made of these forums.

Blizzard isn't scared. Blizzard knows half of you will be back, and the other half is still playing WoW anyway.

Blizzard and the WoW community is just tired of "this game is going to kill wow", "is xxxx the wow killer", etc. They're doing everyone a favor by quickly deleting posts about Rift. We're all tired of it. OK, another company released an MMO, we all get it, you like it better, NOW DROP IT. It's a crazy idea, I know, but more than one successful MMORPG can exist at the same time.

WoW has the most active subs out of any MMORPG, and more than a good chunk of the games combined. A little game like Rift doesn't exactly have them scared. This is like the convenience store competing with Walmart. The quality can be 10x what WoW is, but Blizzard can quickly fix that. That's what their people get paid to do, figure out how to stay on top. And its a lot easier to stay on top than it is to get there.

Assuming Trion makes the right choices, Rift will have some success to it. A lot of us will keep playing the game. Is it going to have any effect on WoW? No, a lot of us still play WoW anyway. Is WoW going to have any effect on Rift? No. So let's shut up about this, finally...
    Great freaking post man! Right on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuatha de Danaan View Post
    My reading comprehension is fine, you're not complex. You're talking out your ***, replacing the word "ME" or "I" with "Blizzard" and "The WoW community" as people often do, you back your already weak statements with simple appealsto authority.

All those "This game will kill WoW" posts are always stupid. WoW can't be killed by any one game. The players are too far gone to show any objectivity any more. Blizzard can and arguably does, **** in your mouth and you thank them for it.

You'll never go broke underestimating the American public. Blizzard exemplifies this principle. You affirm it's justification.

As for being a Rift fanboy, you're basing this on what exactly? When have I said WoW is dead? I haven't, but talking out your *** seems to be something of an artform for you. Wow should die. Because it's turned mmorpg gamers into idiots.
    I don't think they're "afraid" However, only a complete fool takes their established success for granted. It's that sort of complacency, that has led to the mediocrity that WoW has become.

I'm not the one speaking in the name of Blizzard, Trion or their communities, or telling peope what games they'll return to, what other people are afraid of.

That's all you.
    Heh "reading comprehension"...
    I read "Blizzard's not afraid, and you'll be back if you quit!"

My point was you sounded like a *******. Not that your imaginary degree in stating the obvious about which company is making a bunch of money was unfounded.
    Uh huh... and about Blizzard knows I'll be back... where did I ever hint of anything that would warrant a reply like that? Was it where I pointed out that the company with more money and the already established game isn't going to go anywhere and is going to work to take people back from this game? Or was it when I pointed out that the general community of WoW is just tired of hearing about Rift. This game is officially the Apple of MMORPGs. It's fun, we like playing with it, but some people warship it and just wont stop talking about it.

And historically, the people running around saying "Blizzard is scared", "WoW is dying", they're always the ones who go back. This is nothing new in this game. It happens every time, and the outcome is always the same.

Dear Dumbdumbs,
    How mature.

I was told when I left WoW a year ago: "You'll be back in a month." But I've yet to go back, or even look back.

I agree that Activision ruined Blizzard, and one of these days they're either going to self-destruct or be toppled by another excellent game.

Quote Originally Posted by cronius77 View Post
    there is nothing unique about rift warhammer pq's are your most loved rift public quests. Blizzard is doing nothing but not letting you talk about a stupid topic in there game and why would they be scared? This game is a BAD carbon copy of wow and always has been , during beta so many people quit this game over it and never came back. You guys are seriously delusional to think stuff like this , this game will never ever be some big game just because some of you want it to be so bad. Its a carbon copy of all of wow's mechanics and the funny thing about is Scott hartman and the rest of there no talant warhammer reject team , how does it feel to have ZERO creativity and just make a cash grab when you preach you love to make games its your passion? Rift convo's come up on wow servers all the time and they are quickly laughed about and dismissed by 90% of the people in the chats. Oh and barrens chat is by far no worse then forum chat here.
    Well since we want a history lesson here we go.

The EXACT same thing was said when EQ was out and that was the game to play.

Blizzard did not re-invent the wheel with Wow. It simply took games like EQ and UO and improved on them to make them more user friendly. (Some may argue too user friendly now). Which is pretty much exactly what Rift is trying to do.

It's nothing more then a Cycle. Wow just like others before it will eventually end by the next big MMO who does the EXACT same sandbox type game play - Only with a better spin.

MMO's are pretty much identical in terms of game play. They are all sand box based.

Will Rift become the new 900 pound gorilla?

Doubt it but one never knows.

Either way, Overall the game itself is probably the best competition Wow has had since it was released. So you have to give credit where it's due.
    "That's all we expect of man, this side the grave: his good is - knowing he is bad."

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Nebhatesyou View Post
    WoW general forums aren't meant for other games.

They have an OT section.
    They removed their OT section a long time ago; conspiracy's go!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Uiluri View Post
    How mature.
    I was told when I left WoW a year ago: "You'll be back in a month." But I've yet to go back, or even look back.

I agree that Activision ruined Blizzard, and one of these days they're either going to self-destruct or be toppled by another excellent game.
    I'm fairly certain WoW has exceeded Blizzard's initial expectation's by a large margin. They will not be toppled, nor will it take another MMO. Blizzard will shift their focus to their next flagship product, relegate WoW to some up and comers within Blizzard. WoW will continue to entertain people on a smaller scale, but remain relevant to a lot of people for a long, long time.

Maybe some day people will learn that MMO's can co exist and not get all bent out of shape when a new, promising MMO comes and takes some of their friends & guildies. An MMO doesn't have a pass/fail flag based on the #1 spot in the market.

We crave competition in EVERYTHING there is, but when it comes to MMO's, 'there can be only 1' ... pretty silly mindset.

Blizzard has no reason to fear Rift. This game is bad, or least worse than WoW. You'll know why around the time you hit level 25-ish.

I would be playing wow if I wasn't so damn bored with it, but I'm not subbing for Rift. I didn't quit on a great yet boring game to sub to a crappy clone with a poorly optimised engine and very limited choices.
    Last edited by Chomag; 04-01-2011 at 04:49 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Cheaplogic View Post
    I posted the following in the general discussion forum on worldofwarcraft.com. I submitted this post with my level 85 Tauren druid healer. Within literally 4 minutes, the post was deleted. Within that time I had 17 replies, there is obviously a demand for this type of discussion on their forums, but they WILL NOT allow it. Here is the post, let me know what you think.

Tittle : What do you think Trion v Activision BlizzardWhat do you think Trion v Activision Blizzard

*****" Blues... please do not delete this thread, if need-be just remove the flamers? I would like to start a serious and mature discussion on the communities’ opinion, and empirical evidence on the differences and similarities between Trion and Activision Blizzard.

I would like to start by saying I am and always will be a dedicated Blizzard fan. Notice I said Blizzard, not Activision Blizzard. I literally own every game Blizzard has ever created, yes even the combat racing ones for SNES, and I have enjoyed them all very much. I have been playing wow since vanilla, not since launch but suffice it to say for a very long time.

I remember first playing Warcraft I; thinking to myself that I found a game company that gets it right. And it only went up from there, Warcraft, Diablo, and Starcraft are all wonderful series, and I would be hard pressed to admit how much of my life I have spent playing these franchises.

An IRL friend turned me onto to RIFT the day before it came out. I had no idea of anything about it at all. I saw my friend playing, and liked how it didn't look so "cartoonish" and thought I would give it a try. So on March 1st, at 12:01am I bought a copy from my local Wal-Mart. Since installing the game and starting a Guardian Warrior, I have not logged back into my WoW account once, not even to check my mail for gold from AH sales.

I find this a bit peculiar. In the past, I have actually tried to quit wow for work, a girlfriend, and to work-out and improve my physical condition. All of these attempts failed, and I always ended coming back to wow.

One of the major differences I have noticed with RIFT, is that Trion makes a very serious attempt to listen, and communicate with their community of players. It can be argued that Trion's community is much smaller so this task is more easily achievable, however I don't believe that is an excuse for Activision Blizzard.

Also, WoW is a game of evolution. It has grown into what it is now. I will be the first to say that yes, RIFT took A LOT from WoW, when I first logged into RIFT the first thing I said was "this looks like WoW". Now that I have reached level 46 (out of 50 max) I realize that what Trion did was try to take the best from WoW and implement it from the get go. This leaves only upward mobility for the game to "evolve" into something better and more expansive.

While they did take a lot from wow, Rift has its own uniqueness as well. The Rifts are great, and invasions force you to take part in the world community. Also the ability to be so flexible with your class is wonderful. Along with other minor enhancements (like group loot), Rift just feels more like a complete package.

RIFT's graphics are much better than those in WoW. When I first started to play WoW the only issue I had with the game was the "cartoon" look of it. I carried this grudge with me up until the day I left, and still feel it is the game's major drawback. If you haven't seen some screenshots from RIFT, go take a look. They are simply superior to WoW.

The last point I would like to make is that Activision has effectively taken Blizzard over. With a 52% share holding, Activision is the dominant partner in the relationship. Given the history of Activision, I was immediately turned off by this merger. For some history on the merger, go here : http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=128252 .

My opinion is that Activision is obviously driven by the mission of "Milk as much as you can from as many as you can". I do not believe they give a damn about the player community, or their opinions or input. They only care about selling "virtual items" which to them is free money, and making sure expansions are separate packages which are chargeable.

In contract Trion is showing in force that they WILL and DO listen to and work with the player community, which in the end is the lifeblood of their company.

I have noticed anecdotally that many players are leaving WoW for RIFT. I hear that this is a Fad, but for me it is not. If you look at my avatar I have obviously done the end game content in WoW, and have a long history of end game content as well as high level player (pvp, crafting, making gold, etc). I will not be coming back to WoW, Rift is my home for now.

I will be back for project Titan, at least to try it out. Oh and bet your *** I will be playing Diablo III. My only beef with Blizzard is that they merged with Activision, I just feel like right now... Rift > WoW.

What do you think? Please note I will not rebuke any opinions or argue with you, I simply want to know what do you think. "*****

That was the entire post. Just wanted to let you know, they will not allow ANY discussion on this matter in their forums.
    WoW runs more smoothly than rift, so pointing out the graphics is pointless. Great graphics are pointless if the engine is inefficient.

Activision does not own blizzard. Vivendi owns them both and merged them into actiblizz.

You see a lot of wow players in rift because the majority of MMO players are from WoW, WoW expanded the market greatly, so obviously most players playing rift have probably played WoW.

Rift is not unique at all, it is a dumbed down version of WoW, if that is even possible. It is very limited in what you can do, and will not sustain hardcore players for a very long time.

The question is whether their business model of mass hyping and minimal content will actually turn a profit.

Also that teamliquid thread is old news, while it shares some interesting information, kotick did not come in and make blizz the devil. Blizzard has been a money grubbing company since they were in wow development. Do you remember the mass exodus of old school blizz devs? That was because the company shifted priorities and decided to make WoW a marketing gimmick instead of a legitimately good game. That's when blizzard started becoming businessmen making games for gamers instead of gamers making games for gamers.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people try to scapegoat kotick for blizzard's behavior. Kotick is a businessman that doesn't give a crap about gamers, that's fine, but blizzard were no angels before he got there they've been greedy since they shifted their development principles during WoW's early development.
    Last edited by dinhosaur; 04-01-2011 at 05:56 AM.
    True skill comes without effort

Sword of Telara Tuatha de Danaan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dinhosaur View Post
    Rift is not unique at all, it is a dumbed down version of WoW, if that is even possible. It is very limited in what you can do, and will not sustain hardcore players for a very long time.
    Please explain how you've come to this conclusion.
    Lack of current content in a game that's only a month old, does not mean "dumbed down".

However, WoW has had it's own systems dumbed down by a vast number of sources, from the stats being simplified, to most classes only have one viable spec for any given role, to the add on system reducing every aspect of the game to as close to automated as you can get, to the constantly revisited content, etc.
    "On ne voit bien qu'avec le cúur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    You can see clearly only with your heart. What is truly important is invisible to the eyes
    - Fox to the Little Prince.

The Code I Live By:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqz5dbs5zmo

When is Activision Going to make Harmonica Hero?! Or who are they going to sue next....Seriously then reading something about how they are going to try and influence the Hardware area's of the next gen consoles has me terrified...Imagine how bad next gen consoles would be if activision made them...easing the cheapest parts possible...

Wish the company would just die but they wont as long as they are sucking the blood of blizzard.
    Iscreamloudd Hib/Gawaine - RR10.5 Banshee
    Dewan Alb/Merlin - rr6 Cabby
    ...Smurff of Ywaine, rr7 Runie of Fenris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6