+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New computer build won't boot up

Soulwalker

Default New computer build won't boot up

So the final parts for my computer final arrived. I begin putting the heatsink on as the instructions tell me to, I spread the thermal paste covering the entire face of the cpu chip evenly, I untie the psu and install according to case, then I plug in wires according to Mobo instructions.

Now, after all that I boot up and nothing, the harddrive I was using was the one with windows 7, since the old computer probably wouldn't support due to the graphics card gone I then resort to a used master HD of windows xp, nothing, checked wires, had no power -_-, I plugged in power booted up and then the following came up, Image isolinux: check sum error...

Now, when it does try to boot up it goes to the window image, then ends up BSODing so fast I can not get a picture, nor write down the STOP error, it is literally a split second then it reboots itself. I have only been able to spend an hour researching, but while I am at work I'll will talk to my boss and co-worker for any ideas on what's wrong, if you guys have had any problems with this sort of thing please feel free to comment, any idea is progress.

Tl;Dr: My computer doesn't boot up, it went to Image isolinux: check sum error, if it does boot up and goes to the windows image, it will blue screen for a split second faster than anyone can write, then reboots itself.

Things I will try: Applying rest of the thermal paste that came with the heatsink, taking out additional sound card, and using the slave drive I have.

Specs: 770t-c35 MSI atx mobo
    adata 2x1gb 1.8v ddr2 ram
    9400 geforce gt pci-e (graphics card I have used for 2 years)
    sound blaster sb0570
    cooler master 500w psu
    amd phenom II x4 920 2.8ghz

This is my first build, so don't rule out any assumptions about rookie mistakes, I am very willing to learn. I would be searching google all day, but I can't so this will give me extra ideas to try when I get home.

Try booting to a CD, linux or Windows CD should be fine. If you are using a hard drive from an old sysetm, in this newer system, it could be controller drivers or such preventing your from booting.

So, try booting to good media, and see what you get.
    In the dusts of hell Lurked the blackest of hates, For he who eats fear awaits you
    RIFT Mantra: Exploit Now and Exploit Often, You wont be punished!!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegler View Post
    Try booting to a CD, linux or Windows CD should be fine. If you are using a hard drive from an old sysetm, in this newer system, it could be controller drivers or such preventing your from booting.

So, try booting to good media, and see what you get.
    Yeah I'd probably try this, too. So first go to BIOS (F8 or DEL at some point in startup IIRC) and change primary boot device to DVD, then boot from the disc and try the repair installation option.

To be honest though trying to get an old installation to work in the first place isn't the best idea with a new setup if you've got a different MOBO and everything. A fresh OS installation would be recommended, obviously that means you need to re-install drivers and some of the programs (you can still retain a lot of program and game installations).

Shadowlander

Did you disable the on-board sound card?

though im still an amateur as well, isnt BSOD related to RAM issues? Have you checked your RAM? Made sure they arnt faulty and if they are Duel channel or Tri channel that they are in the correct slots? I had a similar issue when i first built my machine...it wouldnt boot up because My sticks were in the wrong slots because they were duel channel.
    Iscreamloudd Hib/Gawaine - RR10.5 Banshee
    Dewan Alb/Merlin - rr6 Cabby
    ...Smurff of Ywaine, rr7 Runie of Fenris.

Telaran

Sorry if I'm wrong here, but from your original posting it's hard to extract if you did a fresh Windows install or just took a HDD with Windows on... So here is a scenario for the latter case.

If Windows BSOD while booting check your CMOS settings (BIOS for laymen)
    This usually happens when there is an issue with HDD controller (not the right term, but it will suffice here) driver.

If Windows was installed with a BIOS setting of AHCI, Windows will BSOD during boot if the setting is changed to IDE and vice versa.

If you have installed a fresh Windows you might have forgotten to install proper SATA drivers. The nasty bit is, Windows will continue to install fine until it wants to reboot. You then get kicked with a BSOD as well during boot up.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the replies, I have managed to get it booted without the BSOD, but now it comes up with the error " System files integrity check and repair code 0x490"

Soulwalker

Wait, so you took your old HDD and put it in your new build, just like that?

Your OS is trying to load up drivers for your old hardware and it can't find them.

I think it would be better to just reinstall/repair Windows, if you don't want to end with multiple conflict problems.

Soulwalker

I would do that, but I a) do not have a copy of windows xp, and B) downloaded windows 7 online which did not come with an ISO.

I have 2 spare harddrives that I could use instead of the w7 one, I would reformat if it gave me the option, but for some reason the computer won't even boot up with them, they will go to safe mode list then when it hits the window logo the BsoD will flash then reboots. I double checked to make sure the IDE cable was secured, they were marked as master/slave and checked power cables. There's something I'm missing, the ram is good, the cpu/heatsink is set correctly.
    Also, it's not letting me into BIOS to select boot from cd, if I could I would use my ubuntu disk, and figure out downloading rift later.

Right now the screen is blank...

Quote Originally Posted by Psyudex View Post
    Things I will try: Applying rest of the thermal paste that came with the heatsink, ..
    IIRC, and I've only built 3 systems, you only need a dab of thermal paste (about the size of a grain of rice) to do the job. It's not why your system isn't booting properly, but too much thermal paste can actually cause cooling issues.

Like the previous poster said, trying to boot a new MoBo and CPU off an already loaded drive is problematic. If possible, you may want to bite the bullet and either re-download the Win7 onto an install cd, or if it was a licensed download, call Microsoft to find out your options to make an install cd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdertrain
    That this post found it to page three is reprehensible. It's the best one I've seen since I started playing Rift. "find some balance in your life..." Some people could learn from that. Not only is it an awesomely hilarious post, but informative too. +10 internets.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
    IIRC, and I've only built 3 systems, you only need a dab of thermal paste (about the size of a grain of rice) to do the job. It's not why your system isn't booting properly, but too much thermal paste can actually cause cooling issues.

Like the previous poster said, trying to boot a new MoBo and CPU off an already loaded drive is problematic. If possible, you may want to bite the bullet and either re-download the Win7 onto an install cd, or if it was a licensed download, call Microsoft to find out your options to make an install cd.
    Yeah, I may have read the instructions wrong for the thermal paste, I'll probably come home tonight and scrap off any excess. Could it possibly damage the chip if there was too much? The cooler came with an inch long tube.

What I will probably do is buy a new harddrive and grab a copy of xp next week, sadly this will cause my quad-core for less than 400 to go over 400, but at least I would have a fresh install and a faster hard drive. I really don't want to wait a week to buy all that because it would be that much longer until I find out if the parts need to be RMA'd or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyudex View Post
    Yeah, I may have read the instructions wrong for the thermal paste, I'll probably come home tonight and scrap off any excess. Could it possibly damage the chip if there was too much? The cooler came with an inch long tube.

What I will probably do is buy a new harddrive and grab a copy of xp next week, sadly this will cause my quad-core for less than 400 to go over 400, but at least I would have a fresh install and a faster hard drive. I really don't want to wait a week to buy all that because it would be that much longer until I find out if the parts need to be RMA'd or not.
    too much thermal paste is a bad problem, it has a metallic component to it....this means if it runs out the side and makes contact with the contact, it can actually short out your system. It's not a cooling issue or a matter of too much or too little paste.

Seriously, if you dont have media to do a clean install......and you say you downloaded the copy of it....you either.....are still using the beta copy of windows 7, or it's a pirated copy. If you have a legal COA for Windows 7, you can use any windows 7 OS that isnt a branded OEM disc. Borrow one from a friend. You can also....torrent an ISO of it most likley, this is a very very gray area....and serious legal consequences involved if you dont have a legal COA product key.

You mentioned IDE....if you are actually running IDE drives...windows 7 shouldnt have a problem with the hd controller considering how old IDE is. I havent run into any systems that 7 has a problem detecting the IDE controllers. RAID controllers sure...but not IDE, or even Sata for that matter.

You made it to windows, so your issue isnt hardware most likley. It's a corrupted windows, which is why so many people are recommending a clean install. TBH, you may be able to get them all straightened out, but it's going to be an pain to do I bet.

and last thing.....
    BSOD's...DO NOT INDICATE RAM.....
    Let's see, things I have seen cause a BSOD....Ram, Hard drive, Video card, NIC, too much software to name, Mbd, Proc....in other words...pretty much anything in your computer setup can cause a BSOD, there's on a 100 or so different ones. If you really wanted to know what caused the BSOD, you would need the minidump and a debugger to feed it into.
    In the dusts of hell Lurked the blackest of hates, For he who eats fear awaits you
    RIFT Mantra: Exploit Now and Exploit Often, You wont be punished!!

I've hit this before. Forgot to plug in the 6 prong to the Vid card.

And one other time forgot to plug in the secondary 4 prong to the mother board.

Once had a bad power box too, all three gave the same results your listing.
    Last edited by Zrek; 03-31-2011 at 11:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread