+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Cancer that kills MMORPGs

Default The Cancer that kills MMORPGs

So just awhile ago I was wondering what really changed in the MMO world. Why are majority (Or at least the ones that go on the forums) of Rift's gamers such, simply put, *******s? And while we may never get at an exact answer I have a hunch.

Gamers these days, with so many options to choose from, will always want to be right. Its not about playing a game, having to adapt to it, and enjoying the fun and kinks of the game anymore. The way I see gamers play these days it seems they are more focused on complaining about the game rather than enjoying it. If they think their character is underpowered instead of adapting they do what they know Trion (Or any other company that wants to keep its customers) will do, which is to follow whoever can make the largest mess. While I don't think this is wrong, I don't think this is right either. Just because there is a larger array of MMORPGs out now than there ever was before doesn't mean that we can be ungrateful turds about it.

If you look at other games, that are 700% ****tier than Rift and you look at their forums you won't find anywhere near as many complaint threads as there are here. And why's that? That's because us gamers like to think that Trion is in a soft spot right now and that because they're in a delicate position we can push them around to get whatever we want (Class specific nerfs, PvP related complaints, etc.) and I'm not saying that it isn't working because clearly it is working but what I'm getting at is that we should be supporting Rift. Don't complain make suggestions.

Gamers these days need to learn to be satisfied with what they're playing, not angry at it.
    Last edited by Plexus; 03-29-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Agreed. Rift honestly is the best MMO in my oppinion, and while there are certain things I wish could change, I don't bother comlaining. Ok, so they nerf a class you loved to play, well, you simply switch specs a little bit and presto, you're good again. The customization of Rift is insane, and anyone that thinks there is only one way to play a certain class or soul is insane. Adapt and overcome. Its all about having fun.

Telaran

Honestly I think its just that people who are satisfied happily play the game, while those who don't like something loudly complain. In other words you don't even notice all of the happy people.

Worse games don't have the problem as noticeably for the simple reason that almost no one plays them...those that do are usually die hard fans.

i think a lot of it is because mmos have been around a while and people expect them to be ready to go at launch. i think rift did a superb launch imo the game had flaws but they are actually fixing things at a very good pace atm.

i think as far as pvp goes people expect certain classes to be able to have an advantage at times and no one to be supremely overpowered. people want the true player skill to decide who is king. right now everything seems balanced to most except for warriors in pvp. their dmg is just incredibly excessive side by side with their cc abilities. another beef i think is that crafted gears don't compete too well pre50 with gears from mob loots. to me atm those are 2 flaws i notice with the game.

seriously though CC is pretty frustrating in this game imo. when you are killed before you can even react to most attacks it pretty much is all decided by who strikes first and not who has the most skill. that is frustrating to a lot of people.

Sword of Telara

please don't use this sort words like Cancer, for a nonsense stuff as games. thank you.

Wrath babies, AKA people who discovered WoW during wrath and go around complaining ar the cancer that kills my mmos. The generally wow community hates them so they come here crying about how their game is better. Go to sites and complain how SWTOR/GW2 will be a wow clone. Go to Super Dancer Online forums and complain how dancing was invented in wow.

WOTLK bred a really gross type of gamer and we have to deal with them now that they're bored with their mother game.

The true killer of MMOs is people who sell services (money, powerlevelling, etc.). They screw up the game and give people advantages, then hack them and the limbo starts all over again.
    A post in derp will remain in derp unless acted upon by an equal or greater derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhera View Post
    The true killer of MMOs is people who sell services (money, powerlevelling, etc.). They screw up the game and give people advantages, then hack them and the limbo starts all over again.
    Gold selling companies don't really affect the game much, but rather the economy if only by a small portion as well.

I agree with the OP, and saying MMOs have been out a while and that many expect better is just a sad excuse....I remember back when DAoC first came out playing it some and watching my friend play it cuz i didnt have the game at the time....MMOs by then were fairly well known thanks to EQ and UO.

The launch in todays standards would of been considered a big flop....Leveling was slow and often difficult if playing a certain class...often the only efficient way of leveling up was by grouping with people....The huge focus of the game (RVR) was unfinished, and did not have certain things like Realm ranks yet. But we still managed to have loads of fun....Like being level 20 running out into the frontiers fighting other lvl 20 player zergs and getting owned by lvl 50 mobs haha.

Players of the game for the most part were supportive and gave the Devs usefull feedback and praised the game, even though it was unfinished in areas...we overall understood the amount of dedication and hard work it takes to make a great MMO.

You will rarely see this in games now...its pretty sad and pathetic.
    Iscreamloudd Hib/Gawaine - RR10.5 Banshee
    Dewan Alb/Merlin - rr6 Cabby
    ...Smurff of Ywaine, rr7 Runie of Fenris.

The cancer that kills MMOs is developer lazyness. In their rush after profit, they release half baked games filled with bugs, incomplete and with the balance in shambles, that are crushed by the blizzardian boot because they don't even compare with wow.

No, not because these MMOs are new, nothing stops you from releasing a game AFTER you worked out the bugs, but because the devs were either lazy, rushed by deadlines or simply had no money to make something awesome.

These MMOs are their own enemy. You can't expect the players to have patience if they're not having fun and it's pretty ridiculous to even hint at asking for this.

Every MMO has a reverse honey moon, in that it's not something done after the wedding but before the wedding. If the game fails to deliver during this honey moon (usually a month for most players), it's gone, players won't be back no matter the improvements the devs announce.

Rift, unlike all the other MMOs, is going to have a very long honey moon because the game was released during a video game drought and a lot of players who are bored and done with wow, really have nothing else to play right now and the 1st signs of the drought ending will come at the end of May.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    The cancer that kills MMOs is developer lazyness. In their rush after profit, they release half baked games filled with bugs, incomplete and with the balance in shambles, that are crushed by the blizzardian boot because they don't even compare with wow.

No, not because these MMOs are new, nothing stops you from releasing a game AFTER you worked out the bugs, but because the devs were either lazy, rushed by deadlines or simply had no money to make something awesome.

These MMOs are their own enemy. You can't expect the players to have patience if they're not having fun and it's pretty ridiculous to even hint at asking for this.

Every MMO has a reverse honey moon, in that it's not something done after the wedding but before the wedding. If the game fails to deliver during this honey moon (usually a month for most players), it's gone, players won't be back no matter the improvements the devs announce.

Rift, unlike all the other MMOs, is going to have a very long honey moon because the game was released during a video game drought and a lot of players who are bored and done with wow, really have nothing else to play right now and the 1st signs of the drought ending will come at the end of May.
    I have played STO and I have to agree with you "The cancer that kills MMOs is developer lazyness"

+ Reply to Thread