+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A little game of spot the shill

Default A little game of spot the shill

It seems that more and more company's are using paid forum posters to sway customers opinion about their products on fan sites, competing boards, or even their own boards as loss prevention. While a good Shill can insert his propaganda into a thread smoothly passing themselves off as a disgruntled \happy customer, more and more they seem to be posting threads out a PR manual.

So how good are you at spotting Shills?

I'll start it with a Blizzard Shill trolling the WoW forums in a loss prevention campaign.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2301633384

Personally I think alot of the people quitting for various trivial reasons are "reverse shills" hired by blizzard to disillusion people with their newest competator. Not really, but it's believable XD.

Anyway, I dunno if they are shills or not but I do see alot of "Fanboi" responses. Not just people who like the game, but people who are unwilling to accept that someone can like the game and still be frustrated with a certain feature, and take offense to everyone who posts even constructive critisism about the game.

Disagreeing with someone about something is fine, but trying to pretend the game is perfect and nothing can be improved really irks me >..<
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

too busy playing the game to waste time with this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrard Ennui View Post
    too busy playing the game to waste time with this nonsense.
    This post contradicts itself with it's own existance. lol
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    my thoughts exactly ...

It's big business elsewhere, so I can't imagine stealth marketing escapes game companies.

The cool part about it is with just a bit of churning you can get your target market to do your marketing for you. Great way to reach the herd-mentality type markets, like teenagers.

Banned

The comments on that thread are classic. That is too funny. I am still confused why the two fan bases need to be enemies :O
    Last edited by Puremallace; 03-29-2011 at 07:15 AM.

of course there are shills, and there are always a lot more of them at the start of a game when people teetering on purchasing are browsing the forums.

It's the same thing on apartment guide forums, car repair forums, any type of service related forum has them.

My general rule is if someone is dealing in absolutes, their opinion is void. On both ends. People who go 'THIS IS THE WORST GAME EVER' as well as 'THIS GAME IS PERFECT'. Generally people who can see both sides are the ones I really listen to.

I love the game, but I dislike some features. But that's life. Love my life, dislike a lot of what happens in it. 8D

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Awesome and snappy comeback, and in only 3 minutes time to boot!

Come have a look at Underlight Chamber (RP) Faeblight, my sprawling Wizard's Tower!

Ren, I love the cartoon in your sig.
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rottweiler-STi View Post
    of course there are shills, and there are always a lot more of them at the start of a game when people teetering on purchasing are browsing the forums.

It's the same thing on apartment guide forums, car repair forums, any type of service related forum has them.
    lol did you see that Dragon Age CM on the fan site who got busted giving the game a 10/10 rating?

Quote Originally Posted by Keilana View Post
    Ren, I love the cartoon in your sig.
    8D
    Yes, those dang snakes and their refusal to cry!

Quote Originally Posted by Renalar View Post
    My general rule is if someone is dealing in absolutes, their opinion is void. On both ends. People who go 'THIS IS THE WORST GAME EVER' as well as 'THIS GAME IS PERFECT'. Generally people who can see both sides are the ones I really listen to.

I love the game, but I dislike some features. But that's life. Love my life, dislike a lot of what happens in it. 8D
    Exactly.

I'll go with a much more sane opinion: "THIS GAME IS PERFECT FOR MY NEEDS AT THIS TIME". which indeed does not state that Rift is perfect, just that I'm seeking entertainment, and it's performing in this capacity flawlessly for me, good or bad (even if I'm complaining about something, then I'm not thinking about work or my mountain of debt, so I'm still being entertained) and things could change. But for now, I'm having a heck of a lot of fun!

Come have a look at Underlight Chamber (RP) Faeblight, my sprawling Wizard's Tower!

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mulch View Post
    It's big business elsewhere, so I can't imagine stealth marketing escapes game companies.

The cool part about it is with just a bit of churning you can get your target market to do your marketing for you. Great way to reach the herd-mentality type markets, like teenagers.
    exactly, it's corporate espionage plain and simple. guarenteed there are blizztard employees on these forums.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast