+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: X-Box 360 or PS3

Default X-Box 360 or PS3

My kids are starting to ask me about getting a console for when they are here, my archaic 1st generation PS1 is not to their liking now they are growing up and my laptop they use is not all that great for playing games on. And before you ask, there is no way I am letting them on my main comp I use for gaming.

A Wii, whilst fun is out as I am slightly disabled so wouldn't be able to take part in some of the more physical games they would want to get if they gad one of them.

So to all of you out there, which one would you, or have you, gone for, and why...and which spec.

Note UK gamer here to, and my kids in the main like fantasy, sci fi stuff as well.

Bluray was what made me buy PS3

Rich Aemry

A ps3 will be win for everyone. You get the pointy screen controls for the kids and a high def console for you complete with blu-ray.

Kinnect is cool but won't support any really decent titles for when your kids actually get into gaming but aren't in to controllers yet. You will get blu ray and superior Netflix on ps3 though all other media functions are better on 360 (I use them as media center extenders.) its up to you but for a family device I would get a PS3.

Plane Touched

PS3. Love it and when my systems got stolen the only one I even bothered to replace was the PS3. I didn't/don't miss the others.
    "He enjoys life -- as do all who are spared the curse of intelligence." -HP Lovecraft in a 1922 letter to Anne Tillery Renshaw
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." - HP Lovecraft "The Call of Cthulhu"

I have a PS3 and love it.
    Blue Ray FTW!
    ~Bard~
    Greybriar Defiant
    Cliff Burton didn't die you know, God just requested bass lessons.

We have both, but PS3 is totally worth it for the bluray. Although, if you don't have an HDTV, it might not be.
    Last edited by Helvetica; 03-29-2011 at 06:31 AM.

PC. Failing that, PS3.

Definitely the PS3 for its games and BluRay, but I must admit that the XBox 360 Kinect is incredible. It's the only reason I would consider buying the console (aside from GoW and Halo)

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aemry View Post
    A ps3 will be win for everyone. You get the pointy screen controls for the kids and a high def console for you complete with blu-ray.

Kinnect is cool but won't support any really decent titles for when your kids actually get into gaming but aren't in to controllers yet. You will get blu ray and superior Netflix on ps3 though all other media functions are better on 360 (I use them as media center extenders.) its up to you but for a family device I would get a PS3.
    PS3 Media Server is hella better than Media Center, although I agree with most of your other points. I had an Xbox 360, but actually sold it for a PS3. Neither console has ever had a game played on it. Reasons why PS3 is better than an Xbox?

Blu-Ray
    Can stream high def .mkv's from computer
    Free Netflix "app", without having to pay for a BS "Gold" online membership

Pretty much the 3 things that caused me to choose PS3.

ps3, no doubt about it, get little big planet 1 and 2 while you're at it

Xbox 360. Best games. Best peripherals. Best value.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

360 has much more enjoyable multiplayer content - but it does cost a small fee. I have CoD on both 360 and PS3 and the online aspect is far more enjoyable on the 360. I also prefer the 360's controllers. 360 games tend to be full 1080p more often than PS3 games, who usually wind up only being 720p. The Kinect is amazing but there just aren't any games for it.

Aside from those, PS3 is better in every way. If you don't intend on gaming on it at all, PS3 is the clear choice.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    360 has much more enjoyable multiplayer content - but it does cost a small fee. I have CoD on both 360 and PS3 and the online aspect is far more enjoyable on the 360. I also prefer the 360's controllers. 360 games tend to be full 1080p more often than PS3 games, who usually wind up only being 720p. The Kinect is amazing but there just aren't any games for it.

Aside from those, PS3 is better in every way. If you don't intend on gaming on it at all, PS3 is the clear choice.
    Lol This made me laugh out loud.

Enjoy your bluray, PS3. It will be meaningless when the next generation comes out and it's all streaming and downloading.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Apple I-play 720 (tm) of course.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsc View Post
    Lol This made me laugh out loud.

Enjoy your bluray, PS3. It will be meaningless when the next generation comes out and it's all streaming and downloading.
    You are so dead *** wrong here. It won't be that way until the generation AFTER (At least.) People aren't willing to give up media yet. We play PC which make us a little different, but most people want discs and used games. Didn't you see how bad the PSP Go flopped? With US broadband users only making up 15% of connections and most of those being businesses you are just assuming things incorrectly.

Netflix library as well as Hulu's is continuously under assault from the MPAA demanding more and more royalties so they can continue to sell blurays. Between Hollywood and the ISPs going to a metered style billing system and it will be some time before it is both a fiscal and technological possibility for bluray not to be the dominant video media format.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast