+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer died...need advice

Soulwalker

Default Computer died...need advice

Hey,

My computer died while playing Rift. I think the hard drive expired. Roll backs and reformats won't fix the issue (does that sound like a hard drive problem)?

Normally people would post something like this on a computer site (ie dell, hp), but I know a lot of gamers have good insight into cpu specs.

My ex-computer was very good. It was an HP Pavillion Elite m9350f. Here are specs taken from hp.com:

Description
    AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core Processor
    6GB PC2-6400 DDR2 memory
    750GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
    16x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner with LightScribe
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Card with 512MB Memory
    Digital/Analog TV Tuner with Media Center Remote
    7.1 Audio
    Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless
    Six USB 2.0, Two FireWire, 15-in-1 Card Reader
    Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Works, CyberLink DVD Suite, muvee AutoProducer, Norton Internet Security 2008

I know things like "memory" are important and i know the graphics card surely has something to do w/ performance. I could run Rift on high graphics settings, and recently released real time strategy game (a name i wont mention on here out of respect) on "ultra" graphics.

I want to compare prices and computers but I first want to know what to look for. I have a laptop in which I'm using now for all serious business, and my Dekstop would serve as solely a "gaming" computer.

Does anyone have any advice on what specs I should look for to create a good gaming computer? I do not want to downgrade from my current system.

I want something that will last...something that will be able to handle games just as well or better than my current system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS, whole computer recommendations are welcome!

Champion

Take it to tech support this isn't the place to ask for help.

Soulwalker

I value my fellow gamer's opinions. That is why I am here. But thank you for your insight.

You should take it to a shop. It doesn't sound like its a complete system failure worthy of building a new machine. seems like its a single component failure. I would need a better description of what your computer is doing and was doing before it failed, to give you an idea where to start. If you take it to a shop, they'll just pull out every component down to the mobo, processor, power supply and a stick of ram. And test it, connecting a new component each time till they figure out what component(s) has failed. If you know someone who can assemble a PC, it takes about an hour to thoroughly do.

PvP against me is alot like sex with me. Its quick, unexpected and ends with only me satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Azeride View Post
    I value my fellow gamer's opinions. That is why I am here. But thank you for your insight.
    Tech support forums are on this board dude.

Soulwalker

Oh neat. that's good advice.

Today I got home from work and loaded Rift. It stuttered/froze at the character screen. I minimized and in the bottom right there was a quick error about my graphics card or video something not working, but that it recovered.

I maximized/restored Rift and it caught up and was running fine. About an hour later Rift crashed (for the first time for me ever, I believe). I relaunched it and everything was fine. About 30 minutes later it crashed again...I blue screened :-( and it's been a problem ever since...

I have macafee but i dont think its up to date. its been saying for some time now that updates are available.

Oh neat. that's good advice.

Today I got home from work and loaded Rift. It stuttered/froze at the character screen. I minimized and in the bottom right there was a quick error about my graphics card or video something not working, but that it recovered.

I maximized/restored Rift and it caught up and was running fine. About an hour later Rift crashed (for the first time for me ever, I believe). I relaunched it and everything was fine. About 30 minutes later it crashed again...I blue screened :-( and it's been a problem ever since...

I have macafee but i dont think its up to date. its been saying for some time now that updates are available.
    Update your drivers.... your antivirus has nothing to do with it.

your computer is either:

a. overheating

b. ram (memory) is going bad

i'd stop trying to run it, at least playing games, until you can have someone check it out.

is it making any strange noises? less noise (fans quit working?)??

blue screens?

artifacts/graphical glitches all over the screen at all?

we need lots of details...

Soulwalker

This guy on the phone (HP Tech) says we need to get into command prompt and an update may have corrupted my gfx card.

he wants to charge me 70 bucks

...?? does anyone know how to do this?

The only computer that ever gave me problems was a(n) HP Pavillion that I bought in 2006. It died a few months ago. I will only build my own from "budget" parts from now on.
    Last edited by Turlagh; 03-28-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by jjshew View Post
    your computer is either:

a. overheating

b. ram (memory) is going bad

i'd stop trying to run it, at least playing games, until you can have someone check it out.

is it making any strange noises? less noise (fans quit working?)??

blue screens?

artifacts/graphical glitches all over the screen at all?

we need lots of details...

my monitor is hp w2408h. i did recieve a blue screen. upon booting, there are weird patterned red dots...that at one point change to green dots/hashes. then freezes at that.

Soulwalker

im on hold with the hp guy at the moment. hes looking something up, or something. but he mentioned that the system registry maybe corrupted.

my monitor is hp w2408h. i did recieve a blue screen. upon booting, there are weird patterned red dots...that at one point change to green dots/hashes. then freezes at that.
    That means your graphics card is screwed up. Has nothing to do with your monitor. Update all of your drivers, as I said before. If your screen is displaying that sort of stuff it means one of three things:

1: Overheating graphics card. Clean the dust out of it.
    2: Bugs with the drivers. Update or reinstall them.
    3: The card is damaged and needs to be replaced. This usually happens after they overheat excessively.

The guy on the phone talking about the registry being corrupted is a help desk loser with a 3 month certificate that says he knows how to search a knowledge base and read back to you. I seriously doubt its a registry problem if you have reformatted and reinstalled windows without fixing it.
    Last edited by Masta Squidge; 03-28-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post
    That means your graphics card is screwed up. Has nothing to do with your monitor.
    Right. Upon start up I can access a couple things: setup, bootmenu, system recovery, diagnostics, raid setup utility

as mentioned earlier, restores etc do not fix the issue.

Anyone know how to access the command prompt and "patch" this or fix the card? Id rather prefer not to give 70$ for this fix...seems a bit over priced.

if you are comfortable with opening the case, there's a few things you can check out.

it sounds like the warranty is up, so it wont hurt to crack it open and look inside.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast