+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Computer died...need advice

Anyway, if you want legitimate advice on how you may be able to fix this yourself before taking it in. Send me a PM and i can get with you in Vent or something and talk you through it. I built PC's for 3 years at a local computer shop as well as trouble shooting. I've also been building my own/using my own PC's and built and fixed PC's for friends for the past 10+ years.

I won't have you try and do something that will break your computer and will give you a straight and honest opinion as to whether you need to bring it to a shop or not. Right now it just sounds like you need to replace your video card.

Telaran

Have you checked what the bluescreens say/said? And what about using software for checking temperatures to see if it's overheating?

(edit: too lazy to read through all 8 pages properly. :P )
    Last edited by Zirithil; 03-29-2011 at 10:30 AM.

If just your hard drive (HDD) failed then just replace it. They can cost around $80. Reinstall your OS from recovery disks, do your updates. Nuke Norton and use anything else .. even the free stuff is better then Norton. Reinstall game .. done.

Cheap fix.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zirithil View Post
    Have you checked what the bluescreens say/said? And what about using software for checking temperatures to see if it's overheating?

(edit: too lazy to read through all 8 pages properly. :P )

no problem, thats understandable.

i have not ran any tests...not sure how. probably something i could google if i want. but at this point (last i looked) i cannot get to the home screen again.

the blue screen said a bunch of jibberish (to me) but at the bottom there was a numbr that was increasing...from about 30 to 60 before it stopped.

It said something about "dumping physical memory".

Soulwalker

home. i repeated all the steps that made it work originally....still no luck... i launched it into system restore to see if it could diagnose a problem (again)....was taking forever, im sitting here...i dont mind waiting.

but my computer is open...i finally go the courage to reach my hand in (after destatic) and touch the gfx card.

it seriously nearly burned me...its HOT

something with HEAT is related here. is this permanent? is there a way around this?...buy a new one? are they expensive?...

Is this gfx card top of the line? -- i dont want to downgrade.

Nah that card is pretty old. I've upgraded mine twice since the 9800 came out

It really depends on how much you want to spend.

Throwing down about $150 is typical for a decent video card. If you want to replace the card, I'd suggest something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130591

This card is close to 3x as powerful as your 9800 and would last you quite a while.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by jjshew View Post
    Nah that card is pretty old. I've upgraded mine twice since the 9800 came out

It really depends on how much you want to spend.

Throwing down about $150 is typical for a decent video card. If you want to replace the card, I'd suggest something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130591

This card is close to 3x as powerful as your 9800 and would last you quite a while.

Well I guess I don't know what "power" means then. I can run games on highest graphic settings and get perfectly smooth fps...

What am I missing?...

edit: ps that card looks like sex.
    Last edited by Azeride; 03-29-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Soulwalker

I took my computer to a shop and they said they think it is the "mother board". they swapped vid cards and it still had some similar errors.

Sound reasonable?

In order for them to fix it, they would need to: switch the mother board, a new hard drive would be required (please tell me thats not bullsh*t), and reinstall the OS.

~$600 (can't remember if that was including labor).

My system specs are in my first post...I think my computer is kind of out of date. I think the best bet is to buy a new computer.

Any thoughts on that?

What would I have to spend to get a high performance machine? I do not want to downgrade on anything, of course. So it must be better than my current machine. What would my machine cost brand new today? Any ideas on products I should buy?

Ive heard about nvidia gtx 500 series...

They are probably going to use a SATA motherboard and you most likely are using an IDE Hard drive, ask if they're trying to switch from an IDE to a SATA drive.

If so tell them you'd rather they get a motherboard that works with your current hardware

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon5 View Post
    They are probably going to use a SATA motherboard and you most likely are using an IDE Hard drive, ask if they're trying to switch from an IDE to a SATA drive.

If so tell them you'd rather they get a motherboard that works with your current hardware

I'm working on building an elite machine...I know that some Processors will not match with certain motherboards.... will these match??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

Also are those good pieces?

Is there anything else I need to know specifically about building a computer? with regards to compatibility?

Also, if I buy all of the required parts, will all necessary cords come, or will I have to buy additional things?

THANK YOU

Unless you have someone physically with you to help you shouldn't building your own PC. There Ares other thing you need to take into consideration. Like how much power you will need to run your system, will the stock CPU fan be sufficient cooling. On top of making sure you buy a proper more board that has the CPU socket that you need for your processor you need to make sure Tabatha's the ram you pick is optimal for your motherboard and relative to your CPU's FSB. Then assembly and like you said knowing what other parts you will need that do not come with the different components. Also if you miss a plugin or plus a wire where it isn't supposed to go, you can risk shorting out your new components.

Quote Originally Posted by Azeride View Post
    Hey,

My computer died while playing Rift. I think the hard drive expired. Roll backs and reformats won't fix the issue (does that sound like a hard drive problem)?

Normally people would post something like this on a computer site (ie dell, hp), but I know a lot of gamers have good insight into cpu specs.

My ex-computer was very good. It was an HP Pavillion Elite m9350f. Here are specs taken from hp.com:

Description
    AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core Processor
    6GB PC2-6400 DDR2 memory
    750GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
    16x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner with LightScribe
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Card with 512MB Memory
    Digital/Analog TV Tuner with Media Center Remote
    7.1 Audio
    Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless
    Six USB 2.0, Two FireWire, 15-in-1 Card Reader
    Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Works, CyberLink DVD Suite, muvee AutoProducer, Norton Internet Security 2008

I know things like "memory" are important and i know the graphics card surely has something to do w/ performance. I could run Rift on high graphics settings, and recently released real time strategy game (a name i wont mention on here out of respect) on "ultra" graphics.

I want to compare prices and computers but I first want to know what to look for. I have a laptop in which I'm using now for all serious business, and my Dekstop would serve as solely a "gaming" computer.

Does anyone have any advice on what specs I should look for to create a good gaming computer? I do not want to downgrade from my current system.

I want something that will last...something that will be able to handle games just as well or better than my current system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS, whole computer recommendations are welcome!
    It would be pretty difficult to downgrade from that - it's far from being anything resembling current or even "good" technology.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6