+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trion selling our email?

Default Trion selling our email?

When I join a MMO I make a a special email for just that game. Since I run my own email server I have unlimited emails to do this.

Now at my special Rift email, that no one would ever guess, I'm receiving junk/spam/spoof types of emails. Does Trion sell our email information?

Example:
    Hello,

In order to complete this request, please open the verification email sent to [email removed] and click the enclosed link.

Please note that once you change your email address, you will need to use the new address to log into Account Management and all Trion games.

If you did not request this change, please contact Trion Support immediately through our support center at w w w.r i f t - a c c o u n t. c o m.

Sincerely,
    Trion Worlds
    I don't know who's email is being displayed, so I don't care that it's showing. I haven't tried to change my password, and I haven't log-in to the game in about a week. I delete most of them, but it's getting annoying all the ads not from Trion.
    Last edited by Vespera; 03-29-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Removed email

How is that an ad or spam...?

Bugs happen.
    E-mail based password recovery happens.
    If this was from an official Trion World e-mail address, just ignore it since you didn't request a change.
    In you they placed their faith, their hope and their power...
    You are our salvation...
    You are a Guardian!

I can tell you right now that the second link is not the Trion login url. I suggest breaking it apart to prevent other people from going to it.

I wouldn't expect Trion to do that. However, key loggers log everything, not just passwords. it could be that you have one on your PC, which gave the maker your email for him/ her to spam.

Hackers get email lists on a regular basis and sell to their customers very easily.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Rift Disciple

Trion's telephone customer service is done by a 3rd party company in Toronto (Arvato Digital Services Canada, a subsidiary of the German corporation Bertelsmann). They don't appear to be very security savvy. I called them about an issue with the game. The telephone rep asked for my email to send me instructions on how to do a DNS flush. I gave him the new email I use only for Rift, and only started a week or so ago. Within moments of getting the valid email from customer support I also got a bogus email telling me I needed to set up a support account and asking me to click a bogus, non-Trion link which was made to look like a Trion link. I was still on the telephone with the support rep and asked him about the email, giving him the details, and he said that it was a hacker email and they'd been causing huge problems. He had no explanation for how a hacker got my email right after I gave it to him.
    Last edited by Langkard; 03-28-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Rift Disciple

^ That just made me very uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Master View Post

Bugs happen.
    If this was from an official Trion World e-mail address, just ignore it since you didn't request a change.
    Do you NOT see the hotmail address?? Seriously?

Anyway, apparently that fake domain that's listed in the email, has been registered 6 days ago, by a Chinese person with the web-hosting company GoDaddy. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the scumbag's name on the forums tho. I noticed that a lot of goldsellers register their stuff with that registrar (also found a fake wow domain at some point). They probably don't really care about their customer's fraudulent behaviour.

Trion should contact GoDaddy.com and have them shut the site down asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Master View Post

Bugs happen.
    I'm not going to post all 50 emails, the one above is the most common. But there are bigger ***** email, would you like me to forward them to you?

Quote Originally Posted by wOlfLinG View Post
    I wouldn't expect Trion to do that. However, key loggers log everything, not just passwords. it could be that you have one on your PC, which gave the maker your email for him/ her to spam.
    I thought about that, but my gaming computer is only for that .. gaming. Plus I use the Kaspersky virtual keyboard for passwords. I registered and correspond through my mac and key-loggers are very rare on them. Possible, but rare. So I check, none of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Langkard View Post
    Trion's telephone customer service is done by a 3rd party company in Toronto (Arvato Digital Services Canada, a subsidiary of the German corporation Bertelsmann). They don't appear to be very security savvy. I called them about an issue with the game. The telephone rep asked for my email to send me instructions on how to do a DNS flush. I gave him the new email I use only for Rift, and only started a week or so ago. Within moments of getting the valid email from customer support I also got a bogus email telling me I needed to set up a support account and asking me to click a bogus, non-Trion link which was made to look like a Trion link. I was still on the telephone with the support rep and asked him about the email, giving him the details, and he said that it was a hacker email and they'd been causing huge problems. He had no explanation for how a hacker got my email right after I gave it to him.
    I never called them, but that interesting. Do you think your email was compromised before hand and a coincidence that the phone call and emails started at the same time?
    Last edited by HauntedWebby; 03-29-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Langkard View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me. I work for a large tech company that builds hardware. We contract some of our board builds out to companies in Asia. There always seems to be at least 1 employee for these contractors that sells our items/info to other parties that then reverse engineer and create black market copies of our hardware products. It's a constant battle, but I guess it's still cheaper than keeping the manufacturing in house.
    TI-99/4A - 3.0 MHz 16-bit TMS9900 CPU, 256 bytes fast RAM, 16 KB RAM, 8 KB ROM, Cassette Player Interface

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinium View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me. I work for a large tech company that builds hardware. We contract some of our board builds out to companies in Asia. There always seems to be at least 1 employee for these contractors that sells our items/info to other parties that then reverse engineer and create black market copies of our hardware products. It's a constant battle, but I guess it's still cheaper than keeping the manufacturing in house.
    Majority of mainland Chinese will do anything for a quick buck, even at the price of reputation (sorry if I sound racist).
    Last edited by rainyman; 03-29-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rainyman View Post
    Majority of mainland Chinese will do anything for a quick buck, even at the price of reputation (sorry if I sound racist).
    Any culture will do anything for a quick buck. But in China their is not penalty for harming other economics. Unfortunately with cheap Americans (myself being one of them) wanting the cheapest price then we feed that type of behavior. Look at people who download music, movies and software (myself not being one of those) they do a lot of harm and don't care. Things in those industries are expensive to pay for all the free ones along with all the legitimate one.

Hehehe .. snipered my own topic
    ~Webby~
    If you are what you eat ... I could be you by tomorrow morning!

Quote Originally Posted by rainyman View Post
    That happens anywhere. Everyone is always looking out for themselves.

If it means getting extra money from someone else for the same thing you've already gotten paid for, why not?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lanaden View Post
    That happens anywhere. Everyone is always looking out for themselves.

If it means getting extra money from someone else for the same thing you've already gotten paid for, why not?
    I meant the entire sentence. Even at the price of reputation <- not true of everyone. Morality is different when 1.3 billion people are considered expendable.
    Last edited by rainyman; 03-29-2011 at 09:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread