+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Instancing ruin MMO?

Default Did Instancing ruin MMO?

For us old time gamers, we can remember when pvp and pve happened on your server. Not on some special instance server where you didn't need to actually communicate with other people, but actually on your sever, and guilds needed to communicate and entire communities thrived.

Blizzard killed the server community when they introduced instances. What modern MMO hasn't instanced their entire end game? There is no more contested anything, either pve, or pvp. You just go in with your guild, whipe / clear and then walk out while another guild is doing the same thing in their own instance.

All the current MMO have gone that route, for pve and mostly for pvp. Everything instanced, nothing really to do with your own server or community.

Can someone explain to me why instancing the entire end game of every mmo, is a better idea than what the genre started out as?

You can thank WoW for bringing *******es into the mmo world

Shield of Telara

Instances simply brought MMO's to an audience that weren't necessarily looking for a second job.

Not sure about your server, but there are always PvP clashes at rifts and zone events.
    Yesterday
    Faeblight

Ascendant

I do not think they ruined MMO's, but I had a funner time in games where they were not prevalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstitch View Post
    For us old time gamers, we can remember when pvp and pve happened on your server. Not on some special instance server where you didn't need to actually communicate with other people, but actually on your sever, and guilds needed to communicate and entire communities thrived.

Blizzard killed the server community when they introduced instances. What modern MMO hasn't instanced their entire end game? There is no more contested anything, either pve, or pvp. You just go in with your guild, whipe / clear and then walk out while another guild is doing the same thing in their own instance.

All the current MMO have gone that route, for pve and mostly for pvp. Everything instanced, nothing really to do with your own server or community.

Can someone explain to me why instancing the entire end game of every mmo, is a better idea than what the genre started out as?
    simple actually... because most people are not pvpers...this has held true in every MMO with pve and pvp server in it.. when the forced gank was removed the genra atracted more people.. remove instancing and you can easily remove 2/3 of your sub base..

on top of that people got tired of having to fight to have a chance to kill a boss in any given week..
    And Shepard's we shall be for thee my lord for thee, power hath descendant forth from thy hand, may our feet swiftly carry on thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be

In nomeni Patri et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin23 View Post
    You can thank WoW for bringing *******es into the mmo world
    No. You can thank your fellow players, because that is overwhelmingly what people wanted.

WoW is popular because it's accessible to a large playerbase. WoW would have absolutely no impact on gaming if it wasnt so popular. And popularity = people. So blame people if you need to blame someone.
    Yesterday
    Faeblight

Rift Disciple

Instances are terrible, in my opinion, and I prefer games without them. My first few mmo's didn't even have instanced dungeons, now that was a challenge...clearing a dungeon while fighting off players.

I would love if mmo's got rid of instancing, but it won't happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Vydor View Post
    I do not think they ruined MMO's, but I had a funner time in games where they were not prevalent.
    I agree.

Rift is a nice compromise.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

In some ways yes. Instances take people out of the general population and tuck them away in safe little balanced scenarios. Plus, allowing people to queue at will from any remote location also takes away the journey to at least get to that instance location.

I remember hanging in front of Alterac Valley entrance and having some great fights with people trying to queue for the instance. Sorry for the WoW reference.

Too much instancing and easy and convenient queuing kills world events. Does that ruin an MMO? That really subjective to you personally.

Shadowlander

Not in and by themselves, but they have had a part. Not just to a pvp world but to a pve world as well. Everyone secreting off to their own little worlds with their little group of friends.

Sadly, the main thing that should work to make the world an MMO work against it. I'm speaking of the so called "main cities" in current games. They have become places to craft a bit, get your mail, check the broker or the bank, but little socializing. Socializing has de-volved into duels. Ahh for the good olde tavern days of SWG.

Ascendant

We know sooner than you think when SWTOR is released theres going to be "individual" instances, cant wait to see what kind of rage it starts. I expect very bad reception.
    Last edited by June; 03-28-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Rift Chaser

I don't think instancing is as big a problem as gear. In games like EQ1 you could save gear pass it down to alts etc... This made gear matter even if you out grew it on a certain character. With everything in new games being BoE or BoP it makes gear feel worthless until max level.

In EQ1 players knew the names of gear Fungi tunic, bone bladed claymore, and forest loop just to list a few. I had no problem camping a Fungi Tunic in EQ for 12 hours or more because the reward was worth it. In today's games the gear all feels cheap. I can go from start to finish in nothing but quest rewards. There is little point in doing instances unless you are just bored with questing. This is not just a Rift problem, it is every new MMO that comes out. Sitting here typing this I cannot name one piece of gear my character has on.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    No. You can thank your fellow players, because that is overwhelmingly what people wanted.

WoW is popular because it's accessible to a large playerbase. WoW would have absolutely no impact on gaming if it wasnt so popular. And popularity = people. So blame people if you need to blame someone.
    What people want and what people need are seldom the same. And rarely are wants, what make a good/successful MMO.
    Last edited by hammarus; 03-28-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Soulwalker

As someone that remembers having to schedule times to go run some zones, and hope other players would respect that...not to mention having to spawn camp certain mobs because they were SO important to an entire guild's progress, I don't mind some instancing. I'd much rather compete with other guilds based on progress than based on whether we can get one guy there to glitch out the encounter or read boards filled with people claiming they were KS'd because they had one guy there when your raid force showed up.

From a WoW perspective, there was still PvP to be had in the early days when people would gather outside instances and PvP some. It wasn't so much the instancing that ruined PvP as it was tying most of the rewards to instanced PvP sessions. They've tried to resurrect more world PvP recently, with mixed results.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast