+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Buying New Desk Top FOR "Gaming/College" Any Suggestions

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19

    Default Buying New Desk Top FOR "Gaming/College" Any Suggestions

    Ok well im going to college soon...and i enjoy MMO's like crazy " ^__^ " and i want to get a COMP that is compatable for doing School work while playing a game such as RIFT..because as for right now i can't play RIFT.

    So if you have any suggestions please give them to me.

    Budget: $500-$1200 Desk Top

    What im looking for: Somthing that process fast / Good memory / Little Lag /Allows for great game play /Graphics

    that might be to much to ask for but..tell me what you think would be best?

    PS. I dont know to much about computer abbreviations so if you could type the abbreviaton and what it means / does.
    Thank You
    Last edited by Drozz; 03-28-2011 at 11:08 AM.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Could anyone help me out?

  3. #3
    Ascendant Haseno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Indiana/USA
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    If you want budget, get a 3.4ghz AMD Quadcore (AMD Quad 965 Black Edition)
    650w Power Supply.
    Nvidia 400 series, or ATI 5000 Series.
    500gig HD
    6gigs of Ram. I recommend G.Skill, get DDR3 1333mhz or better.


    Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

  4. #4
    Rich Aemry
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drozz View Post
    Ok well im going to college soon...and i enjoy MMO's like crazy " ^__^ " and i want to get a COMP that is compatable for doing School work while playing a game such as RIFT..because as for right now i can't play RIFT.

    So if you have any suggestions please give them to me.

    Budget: $500-$1200 Desk Top

    What im looking for: Somthing that process fast / Good memory / Little Lag /Allows for great game play /Graphics

    that might be to much to ask for but..tell me what you think would be best?

    PS. I dont know to much about computer abbreviations so if you could type the abbreviaton and what it means / does.
    Thank You

    You buying or building? (Ramble to meet minimum length ramble ramble ramble Ramble ramble ramble)

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19

    Default

    could someone explain all these items? i get so confused.....

  6. #6
    Rich Aemry
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drozz View Post
    could someone explain all these items? i get so confused.....
    First could you tell me if you are buying a new PC or if you want to build it yourself. If this is confusing you then maybe you should buy one.

  7. #7
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    34

    Default

    im hoping he is buying one...because i can tell i know a lot more about computers than he does and i still dunno if i would completely trust myself putting one together.. although i plan to for my next computer in a few years.. friend just help me put my last one together about 2 years back and its still awesome

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser Amarinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    352

    Default

    There are some sites out that there that put the PC together for you (assemblage), but let you select the parts yourself. "Ibuypower" is the one that springs to mind, but there are many other sites like it, some probably cheaper (can probably find some recommendations on good sites through google).

    It can still be pricey though, since it means you can't shop around for the best prices on parts yourself and you're at the mercy of what they charge as profit / assembling costs, but if you really can't build your own machine, then such "build your own sites" are the best compromise of quality and price.

    The 2nd option is buying a prebuilt system, which is assembled system with all the parts already included. The downside of prebuilt systems is that you usually have little to no option to change any of the parts, so you're stuck with whatever is available.

    Also I find the biggest issue with prebuilt systems is that there's a lot of bad builds out there, and more than a few of them are overpriced and/or crappy quality - examples of the worst offenses in prebuilt systems (IMHO) are: barely-sufficient brandless PSU's, lack of extra cooling/fans, cramped case, budget video card, poorly balanced components (heavy CPU, crappy gfx card). Because of this you will usually get better quality and can sometimes even save a lot of money by building your own system from scratch.

    Still in the end the choice is yours. However whatever you buy, I highly recommend doing a bit of reading up before deciding on anything, so that you know vaguely what you're buying and won't end up disappointed.

    Especially GFX cards are often a complete enigma to people, resulting in people buying cards they think are all new and sparkly and 'high tech' and then they discover when they try to play something like Rift or Metro or anything else intensive, that actually the card sucks for gaming. :/

    For more indepth advice on what to aim for with Rift I'd like to refer you to this thread, where another user was asking advice on a new computer:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-What-can-I-do
    At the end of page 1 and the start of page 2 are two posts with some hints and tips on all the parts.

    The "high end video card list" that the 2nd poster linked is an invaluable comparison tool when deciding upon a gfx card, as it lists the average performance (determined by averaging thousands of benchmark test results) of all the cards and ranks them against each other.

    Good luck on building a new system. Just remember, spend what you're comfortable with, but don't skimp on anything.
    Last edited by Amarinth; 03-29-2011 at 01:20 PM.

  9. #9
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    79

    Default

    I recommend Building your own. Do some research (googling computer parts, etc), Look at Newegg and Tigerdirect and read the reviews. There are plenty of site on How to put a comp together, and your motherboard manuel should tell you what goes into each slot as well.

    Just build one myself and last time i was touching the inside of a computer was when I was over clocking my Pentium 2 to 733Mhz.

  10. #10
    Prophet of Telara Sneezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goebs86 View Post
    im hoping he is buying one...because i can tell i know a lot more about computers than he does and i still dunno if i would completely trust myself putting one together.. although i plan to for my next computer in a few years.. friend just help me put my last one together about 2 years back and its still awesome
    Its like snapping legos together, ya just gotta get the right pieces (doing your research).

    The only part that isn't like slapping legos together is putting the Heatsink/Fan on the CPU. That is more like making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

    Its really not that hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChazJam View Post
    I recommend Building your own. Do some research (googling computer parts, etc), Look at Newegg and Tigerdirect and read the reviews. There are plenty of site on How to put a comp together, and your motherboard manuel should tell you what goes into each slot as well.

    Just build one myself and last time i was touching the inside of a computer was when I was over clocking my Pentium 2 to 733Mhz.
    In reply to this comment, but @ the OP.

    Get the parts separate (newegg.com is great, lots of handy reviews).

    If you don't feel confident enough to put it together...well you are going to college. I'm sure there is someone there that can help you do it...just show up at the first LAN party you can find and you'll have plenty of volunteers.

  11. #11
    Rich Aemry
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sneezer View Post
    Its like snapping legos together, ya just gotta get the right pieces (doing your research).

    Its really not that hard.
    There is something to be said for the support you receive from an OEM.
    If it breaks down the road he will get a replacement or repair for little to no cost.
    It will come with a copy of windows which many people leave out of the cost of a machine.
    It will come ready to play. No screwing with drivers needed.
    It will usually come with a very simple tool to update drivers and bioses and whatnot.
    Nice gaming units come pre-overclocked and the OC is guaranteed.
    Companies like HP, Dell, and Asus get more performance out of identical hardware than you could on your own building due to hacks and optimizations they build into the unit.
    OEMs make sure there are no bottlenecks in the system and the parts all perform about on par with each other.


    You can build a more powerful system for less money, but there is always the risk that Motherboard A doesn't support GPU B for some reason that no one quite knows. You don't get that with pre-builts. I build for work and follow all of this minutia, but for the OP unless he want to make building a hobby he would be happier buying.

    Now OP in you budget why are you so set on a dektop? If it's because you have heard lappys can't game as well that's not true (but if it's for ergonomic reason I get that, and it's why a own one.) The Asus G53 and G73 series run this game maxed well within you budget. I have 2 G73s personally (plus the monster in my sig) and they run the game better than my desktops for less cash due to the Asus optimizations.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220921 G53

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+F...=g73&cp=1&lp=3 G73 (don't be scared of refurbs they still have the warranty)

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts