+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Why I will not be leaving WoW for Rift.

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    0

    Default Why I will not be leaving WoW for Rift.

    Note: This is written as constructive criticism for a game I enjoy playing.

    Graphics. Telara is a low-contrast world. While quite beautiful to look at (as a still picture), it makes action difficult. Your character is the same low-contrast browns and grays as the rest of the world and it hurts my eyes to attempt to follow her. Text is much the same way. Iíve tried turning my contrast up to 100% (which made the world easier to look at), but then whites were glowing so bright as to make text unreadable. Iíve settled at 75% but my eyes cannot stand Telara for more than an hour without a break. Contrast this to my desktop- or WoW- lots of bright colors, lots of contrast, lots of differentiation. It breaks my heart to see the box of rift with these bright colors and then look at actual Telara- so bland and dark. LOTRO also had this problem.

    Secondly, while the world is much more realistic-looking than the caricatures of wow (the architecture is fantastic, and the elves look very real), when characters move around their edges flicker and are white. Talk about taking me out of character- it looks like a poor green screen rendering.

    I also get the feeling, looking at rift, is that there is no possible way I could walk into an area where I would be awed at the scenery. It all looks the same in the low-contrast patina. Looking at a beautiful waterfall has no different effect on my eyes than looking at a stump.

    Text. You chose a lovely font which is very old worldly. It is hard to read. There is a reason those fonts are not used in newspapers or most websites/magazines. They do not provide easy reading. Coupled with the low contrast graphics issue, reading quests is an eyesore.

    I really enjoy the gameplay of rift. The dynamic world is really engaging and there always seems to be something exciting and new for my character to do. I have so far enjoyed my class and the variability between soul choices within the class. I can be the same class as my friend and yet be entirely different. The abilities of my class are interesting and worthwhile.

    Feel free to add in your own constructive criticism below.

  2. #2
    Telaran hard2say's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caillia View Post
    Note: This is written as constructive criticism for a game I enjoy playing.

    Graphics. Telara is a low-contrast world. While quite beautiful to look at (as a still picture), it makes action difficult. Your character is the same low-contrast browns and grays as the rest of the world and it hurts my eyes to attempt to follow her. Text is much the same way. Iíve tried turning my contrast up to 100% (which made the world easier to look at), but then whites were glowing so bright as to make text unreadable. Iíve settled at 75% but my eyes cannot stand Telara for more than an hour without a break. Contrast this to my desktop- or WoW- lots of bright colors, lots of contrast, lots of differentiation. It breaks my heart to see the box of rift with these bright colors and then look at actual Telara- so bland and dark. LOTRO also had this problem.

    Secondly, while the world is much more realistic-looking than the caricatures of wow (the architecture is fantastic, and the elves look very real), when characters move around their edges flicker and are white. Talk about taking me out of character- it looks like a poor green screen rendering.

    I also get the feeling, looking at rift, is that there is no possible way I could walk into an area where I would be awed at the scenery. It all looks the same in the low-contrast patina. Looking at a beautiful waterfall has no different effect on my eyes than looking at a stump.

    Text. You chose a lovely font which is very old worldly. It is hard to read. There is a reason those fonts are not used in newspapers or most websites/magazines. They do not provide easy reading. Coupled with the low contrast graphics issue, reading quests is an eyesore.

    I really enjoy the gameplay of rift. The dynamic world is really engaging and there always seems to be something exciting and new for my character to do. I have so far enjoyed my class and the variability between soul choices within the class. I can be the same class as my friend and yet be entirely different. The abilities of my class are interesting and worthwhile.

    Feel free to add in your own constructive criticism below.
    I don't like their choice of font either. No complaints otherwise though.
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    Sloppy - Guardian - Millrush
    http://www.oblivionarmy.com

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple Rhajik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    112

    Default

    I stopped at "GRAPHICS"

    It's not Telara bro. It's your crappy machine. Rift looks real.

    Go ahead and stay with cartoons though. Fine with me. I'm running basic hardware and 1 gig less ram than recommended and I'm getting around 35 to 40 fps. The game looks amazing.
    I SLIDE INTO FORUMS LIKE CONSMO KRAMER SLIDES INTO JERRY'S APARTMENT

    YEAH BUDDY!

  4. #4
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    720

    Default

    I'd comment on the quest log font but... um... well... I don't think I've ever tried to read a quest in 45 levels.

  5. #5
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    You guys understand now. There was one guy calling me kid, hater or troll because I used "Go back to WoW" sentence, see its really true! Sceenshotted. They always crawl back there like litte wowtards they are.
    Last edited by June; 03-27-2011 at 11:05 AM.

  6. #6
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    53

    Default

    I don't think any of us asked. I don't think any of us care. We didn't ask you, so why are you telling us?

    Are you trying to drag more people down with you?

    I think the more interesting question would be "Why I feel the need to tell everyone in the General Discussion boards why I will not be leaving WoW for Rift."

  7. #7
    Ascendant Kevyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caillia View Post
    Note: This is written as constructive criticism for a game I enjoy playing.

    Graphics. Telara is a low-contrast world. While quite beautiful to look at (as a still picture), it makes action difficult. Your character is the same low-contrast browns and grays as the rest of the world and it hurts my eyes to attempt to follow her.
    From playing EQ2 this is a welcome sight...neutral colors. Not Day-glo, neutral and with eye relief.

    Glad it isn't garrish. High contrast images hurts my eyes.

  8. #8
    Ascendant exLupo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhajik View Post
    The game looks amazing.
    There's a difference between being able to crank the settings and liking the art direction. It doesn't matter how sharp and clean everything can look if you simply don't like the style choices.

    @Kevyne: Yea, that's about how I feel. I respect WoW and EQ2's nigh-glitzy style choice. It works for what they're doing. It's nice to have something more down-to-earth as a retreat. I think Trion's pulled it off in a way that Turbine did not because in Lotro the environment bored me but, here, it still has a vitality. Even in shades of brown.
    Last edited by exLupo; 03-27-2011 at 11:07 AM.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Tyggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caillia View Post
    Note: Secondly, while the world is much more realistic-looking than the caricatures of wow (the architecture is fantastic, and the elves look very real), when characters move around their edges flicker and are white. Talk about taking me out of character- it looks like a poor green screen rendering.
    This sounds like a problem on your end. I certainly haven't seen it myself and it's the first I've heard of it from anyone else.
    "I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end, you just get tired. Tired of the struggle. Tired of losing everyone that matters to you. Tired of watching everything turn to dust. If you live long enough, Lazarus, the only certainty left is that you'll end up alone." -- The Doctor, Doctor Who: The Lazarus Experiment

  10. #10
    Ascendant Kevyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hard2say View Post
    I don't like their choice of font either. No complaints otherwise though.
    Yeah, have to agree with that. Reminds me of the default font used in EQ2's makeover mod ProfitUI, stylish but not necessary.

    Wish we can chose between fancy and regular.

  11. #11
    Soulwalker Sakaiyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyggs View Post
    This sounds like a problem on your end. I certainly haven't seen it myself and it's the first I've heard of it from anyone else.

    I would have to agree, I don't encounter these problems on my pc or my laptop. Plus I havent heard of these problems till the OP brought it up...

  12. #12
    Plane Walker Worf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kryps View Post
    I don't think any of us asked. I don't think any of us care. We didn't ask you, so why are you telling us?

    Are you trying to drag more people down with you?

    I think the more interesting question would be "Why I feel the need to tell everyone in the General Discussion boards why I will not be leaving WoW for Rift."
    I'm sure Trion gets lots of useful information from people leaving their opinions, especially in a constructive way as the OP did.
    This is for them, not for you. Believe it or not, you're not the center of the universe.
    And you don't speak for me, so it's probably better that you use 'I' and 'Me' rather than 'We', unless you're schizophrenic.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Fujitasix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,416

    Default

    Thanks Caillia for sharing. I'm pretty sure this feedback is useful in that the devs might consider making the future zones more bright and cheerful, or possibly refine the low render settings to make things less murky.

    I know Nagrand was always my favorite WoW zone. It had waterfalls flowing from islands in the sky - it was very serene and appealing.

    That said, I was positively bored with WoW and would only go back if a padded cell were my only alternative, and I'm enjoying the hell out of Rift.

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhajik View Post
    I stopped at "GRAPHICS"

    It's not Telara bro. It's your crappy machine. Rift looks real.

    Go ahead and stay with cartoons though. Fine with me. I'm running basic hardware and 1 gig less ram than recommended and I'm getting around 35 to 40 fps. The game looks amazing.

    I've got a brand new gaming machine with with a GeForce 460 graphics card (1GB) and 8GB of RAM. I'm running all of the graphics settings on high, but I experience the same white flickering that the OP refers to in this game.

    Don't get me wrong, I really like the game and think the graphics are great. But there are clearly some kinks to work out. The flickering really annoys me.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker Airica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    17

    Default Why?

    Even if I stop playing Rift there is no way in H3LL I will play WoW again. I would rather play monopoly or Uno with friends or pick up sticks in my backyard than play that crap anymore. WoW is so played out I am tired of Blizzard and the WoW community that unfortunately came here. I am just sick of it.

    But that is just my opinion. I know many feel the same way.

    Have fun in that played out old thing with the same old grind. Grats if it is still fun to you.

    Why do people have to announce they are too stupidly addicted to WoW to be able to play anything else?



    People who enjoy Rift keep on playing like you are and ignore these haters. Let them go back to WoW.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts