+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is your MMO history?

Cool What is your MMO history?

From reading all these posts, talking to people in-game, and just overall, I'm curious as to what your MMO history is. How long have you been playing MMO games? What did you start with? What MMO has your favorite feature? Least favorite?

For me, I've been playing since the original EverQuest. It was my first MMO, and I had a ball with it. I remember standing outside of Freeport as a Mage, yelling over chat that I was selling ports for a little cheaper than the guy next to me. I bought all the expansions, but stopped after Planes of Power.

I kind of fell out of the MMO scene for a while. The next one I had bought was Anarchy Online, the sci-fi game. Didn't really like it, couldn't get into the feel of the game. Perhaps it was the sci-fi aspect, since I'm not a fan of sci-fi? I don't know. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy or sci-fi, yet that is what the majority of MMOs are. I'm a speshul person.

Aside from that, I played The Lord of the Rings Online, which I've since downgraded to the free-to-play account. I played Star Wars Galaxies (didn't like it), Motor City Online (not really an MMO I guess, but didn't like it anyway), World of Warcraft (liked it, but my account's been deactivated since mid-2010 due to boredom). I played Vanguard for a bit, too. It seemed fun, and I loved the concept of the housing, but for real life reasons I never got into it, and once I was able to have free time again, it lost me and I had no desire to get back.

I also tried Age of Conan and basically uninstalled it soon after completing my first few quests. Horrible, tedious, crash-prone. Again, perhaps the fantasy aspect, as I was never fond of the Conan universe.

Now I'm onto Rift, and having fun. I might try Aion, heard good things. I won't be touching the new Star Wars one, as I didn't like the first MMO and don't care for the Star Wars universe either. But, my mind is always open to most new games.

So, what's your MMO history?
    Shansa - Defiant - Wolfsbane
    http://www.jpaterson.net/
    By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.
    Quoth the raven, "Nevermore"

I cut my teeth on DaoC, then WoW, Warhammer Online, Atlantica Online, Runes of Magic (Beta tested this), 2 Moons, attempted Aion (Didn't last 2 weeks with that game) also attempted Lotro, AoC for about a month, and of course Rift.
    Last edited by Taaxa; 03-27-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Wow

...Too much wow =/
    Last edited by Celithia; 03-27-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    Truth hurts, but your lies are ****ing agony.

May 2002 (once I got a gamable PC) EverQuest up until Aug 2007.
    Nov 2006 World of Warcraft until Jan 2007. Picked it back up on Aug 2007 and left Dec 2010 after Cata blew it for me.

In between I've played FFXI (5 mos), Linage II (3 mos), Guild Wars (on and off since release... maybe 7mos total), DDO for I believe the past year. And a few free like Ragnarok Online(think its P2P now), Hello Kitty Online (yes, but I am female), Maple Story, Perfect World, Fiesta, and who knows what else, as I would try them for a week and move on.

As you can see, so far only two MMO's have kept my interest. And they lasted until around the time a game got "dumbed down" or fully reconstructed. Rift so far has won me over even with its few apparent flaws, but it's also my first launch game. As me again in a few years where I'm at.

Soulwalker

City of Heroes was my first MMO back in 2005, until then I'd avoided the genre and only bought it because it was on a 2 for 1 offer in the local game store.

Really enjoyed it and the game opened my eyes to massively multiplayer, so much so that I struggle with single player games these days because they feel a little too confined. Played CoH, bought City of Villains when that came out but slowly got bored with it. I maintained a sub for three years even though I hardly played, still friends with people I met there and am engaged to someone who I first met in Talos Island train station!

I was forcibly dragged into WoW as everyone migrated there, I hated fantasy with a passion but soon fell under it's spell. Played that on and off until the end of last month when it finally, permanently, ran out of steam for me.

I moonlighted from WoW with Age of Conan, loved the idea of the game but hated the execution. I tried Warhammer, another fondly remembered IP and...well that didn't really last long.

I've purposefully avoided other MMOs to wait for the three month point before deciding to join or not, Rift is an exception and I'm glad I bought it.

Really enjoying this game but breaking from my old WoW style 'rush and raid hardcore' mentality to simply play it as it comes, that combined with work taking up more time these days. Still I think that'll help maintain longevity once I hit max level.

I wish there were more non-fantasy MMOs out there (not made by Cryptic!) because I'm more of a Sci-Fi fan than a Fantasy one. I'll be checking out SWTOR when it's out and Guild Wars 2.

Still living in hope that someone will make an MMO based in the universe of either Peter F. Hamiltons Nights Dawn (or Confederation!) books or, preferably, Neal Ashers Polity universe. That would be awesome, but probably not really workable as an MMO

Shadowlander

wow for 1 year --> arena champion, not a pvp game
    age of conan for 1 year --> lots of fun
    warhammer online ---> hmm some month
    aion --> 1.5 year till rift goes out
    rift --> 2 weeks rank 5 prestige pvp and going out of this "wow 2" , no pvp at all

I started with DAoC but my amount of playtime was limited back then, and I didn't really have much time to accept it as my new religion. I was extremely casual and probably only participated in 1 RvR raid before giving it up competely.

When I found myself with considerably more time on my hands, (and a better computer) I started playing Lineage 2. Looking back, I have no idea why I played it for as long as I did. It was an extremely shallow game, and the only times I remember fondly were related to the PvP. I remember epic battles for supremecy at the top of a 13 floor tower for claim over a raid boss. Literally 200 people on each side, winner resses their dead and fights their bosses, loser either goes home with their tail between their legs, or tries to run back up 13 foors of tower before the boss dies. Bosses didn't respawn for days, so it was a big deal to be the winner. Sieges were also really fun, until people realized that attacking early meant giving the opposing clan more time to take the fort back, so they turned into 15 minutes of greeks who botted their toons and gear, facerolling everyone and snatching the fort at the last second, preceeeded by 1 and a half hours of standing there waiting...

After L2 I dabbled in a few F2P MMO's like Silkroad and fiesta. They never held much charm for me. I also played RF online, wich was boring as f***, and then Sword of The New World, wich was different, and interesting, but lost interest when I realized I could play it while making myself a sandwich...

Then I moved on to AoC. I ended up quitting because everything was bugged, you crashed every 20 minutes, major game features were rushed and not finished (you could literally PvP naked because stats were meaningless). It took them forever to fix anything, like the guild cities were advertised as being siegable, but they weren't. PvP was all side strafeing, and mages casting time spells would interrupt if you tried to turn to face your wirey dagger wielding side strafeing opponent. Overall, no pleasent memories of AoC except the friends I made there.

Again I played around with F2P games and L2 Private servers.

Then Aion came out, and I was admittedly a fangirl. I loved that game, and it had so much potential. I played it to endgame on 3 toons, took a short break, then rolled a new toon when the expansion came out. Ultimately my reason for quitting, finally, was NCsofts inability to control content in NA, and the Korean Devs refusal to take action based on our feedback, as well as their slow response time to bug fixes and game mechanics. I might play it again when the new patch is out, but I was so bored with the endgame content, and the gear-based PvP, that I would go back as a PvE carebear if I did.

Now I'm playing Rift and loving it.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 03-27-2011 at 10:25 AM.

My MMO played list:

Dark Ages of Camelot (4 years)
    Horizons (9 months)
    Anarchy Online (6 months)
    Lineage 2 (2 months)
    Ascheron's Call 2 (8 months)
    Guild Wars (2 years+)
    World of Warcraft (4 years)

Warhammer (1 year)
    Runes of Magic (2 months)
    The Chronicles of Spellborn (less than 2 months)
    Eve Online (4 months)
    Aion (4 months)
    Tabula Rasa (less than 2 months)
    Darkfall (less than 2 months)
    Fallen Earth (6 months)
    Age of Conan (18 months)
    LOTRO (pre-"F2P") (8 months)

2002 - Lineage
    2003 - Final Fantasy 11
    2005 - Lineage 2
    2006 - 2009 a big MMO Jumping train
    2009 - LOTRO
    2011 - Rift

Rift Chaser

Im oldest of the Old!

I started my MMORPG life (I was in Muds before that but Muds are not MMORPGs) in the first MMORPG ever, NWN on AOL (circa 1991) and was a officer (Royal Knight ... In charge of PVP division) of the first ever guild in a MMORPG. Crusaders of the Realms (not to be confused with current MMORPG guild of same name. The real COR can be found to this day in the oNWN clone game Forgotten Worlds ).

Shifted over to The Realms
    Then Dark Sun Online
    Twilight Lands
    Ultima Online
    Everquest
    Ashrons Call
    (everything thing starts to bleed in togather here so I know longer remember the order, and might even forget a few game names)

Lineage
    Anarcy Online
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Star Wars Galaxies (gawd what a steaming pile of banta poo that was)
    DDO
    Tebula Rose
    WOW (beta only, anouther steaming pile of banta poo)
    EQ2
    FFXI
    (I know im missing a couple but names escape me at moment)

Took 3 years off as just burnt out
    and back for RIFT
    And then TOR when it releases.
    Being a Self appointed message board Spelling Police remains the lowest form of trolling around!

Dont be a Troll!

Rift Disciple

LotRO lifetimer. Tried to stay away from MMOs, but the lifetime sub got me.

Started with Ultima Online for a year. Then I went to EQOA for PS2, which got me into EQ for about a year. I also played DAoC while I played EQOA and EQ. Jumped to WoW at release. Breaked from WoW for Vangaurd for 2 months, AoC for 2 months, Aion for a month, and finally gave up WoW for good with Rift release. WoW, Vanguard, AoC, Aion and Rift now, I started at release.
    When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.

Rift Disciple

ultima online 98-01
    a bit of daoc in there
    neocron 02-04
    some more uo in there
    wow from release until arena season 3 in BC, got bored
    some more uo in there
    wow from wotlk release until just after cata, got bored
    some more uo in there
    rift

That puts me to now. ive always played uo since 1998, on free shards since about 2004+. Currently playing on IPY2 and UOG:Hybrid alongside rift. UO is my go to game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    ultima online 98-01
    a bit of daoc in there
    neocron 02-04
    some more uo in there
    wow from release until arena season 3 in BC, got bored
    some more uo in there
    wow from wotlk release until just after cata, got bored
    some more uo in there
    rift

That puts me to now. ive always played uo since 1998, on free shards since about 2004+. Currently playing on IPY2 and UOG:Hybrid alongside rift. UO is my go to game.
    omg I can't believe I've found someone who actually played Neocron O_o I bought it, created an account, installed it, and never got around to playing it lol.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 03-28-2011 at 12:37 PM.

WoW - from the very very release till Cata's 1st month (vanilla WoW was the best time I had in MMOs ever)

Age of Conan - for a year excellent game with huge potential, ruined by sucky developers who don't fix bugs and exploits and implement the most idiotic community-breaking content ever (example Bori)

Rift - So far I like it, reminds of good old vanilla WoW times (only in good sense)

Also in between tried:

Mortal - .... .... what a pile of crap. Seriously don't know what to start with, the most poor character customisation and silly gameplay or the completel lack of content? Will not bother trying, I want back the week I wasted on this.

Darkfall - grindfest of them all, poor graphics, poor gameplay, poor content, didn't worth my time as well, at least a little better than Mortal.
    Main: Milika - EU - Firesand - Defiant - female eth
    Alt: Jerlis - EU - Firesand - Defiant - female kelari

Some Jerlis background (not finished)
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Jerlis-comics

(Not related to Rift)
    My RP stories from AoC
    http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/show...04#post1618204

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast