+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will there ever be a sandbox in a mmo?

Soulwalker

Default Will there ever be a sandbox in a mmo?

I always read posts about what to do after level 50. MMO's are about end game for a lot of us. My problem is pvp is fun but not when it is the only option. Raiding is fun when you have gear to upgrade or a boss to take down that you haven't taken down yet. Instead of waiting to be spoon fed content in an expansion why can't the expansion create content that would support a sandbox?

In a sandbox there would be islands that guilds could conquer and build outposts on to open trade. Players could shape the world around them. Expansion content could be released as unlocks and guilds that conquered certain lands would unlock the content. Other guilds could raid your outposts and destroy them to build their own.

I'm sure many great avenues could be taken to make a rich character driven end game, I just hope to see it in Rift because I like the game so much.

EVE may be the game for you.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Eve is as sandbox as they get.
    Mage - steel cannon
    Rogue - tin pistol
    Warrior - glass machine gun
    Cleric - adamantium machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by krilly View Post
    Eve is as sandbox as they get.
    Only if you mean "themepark masquerading as a sandbox"...
    Oh mortal man, is there anything you cannot be made to believe?

Telaran

Id like to see something like that. Its what I often think of when people talk of RvR. Maybe not outposts that you construct but npc villages or forts with wardstones ect, and as you control the wardstone you control the village. Opens up new quests, vendors, ect. Maybe you get a favor/valor/prestige bonus per wardstone held. You can do quest to upgrade the npc defenders, ect.
    Last edited by Roknari; 03-27-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Plane Touched

If the amount of people playing Rift all moved to Darkfall and were able to compete and not be ultra-carebear, it would be the greatest sandbox ever.

Telaran

Moved to offtopic? Really?

my friend is playing a game called Xsyon which pretty much has everything you listed that you would like OP. Its a recently released game being developped by some Indie company...its completly sandbox, though it is a lil buggy and it is a work in progress, its obvious the dev's are all about making a great game and put a lot of dedication into it...and they arnt owned by some big name publisher.

Think of it as a mix of Mortal Online, Darkfall and Minecraft....you can do stuff like build bases with a tribe, make trade routes with roads and even terraform the ground. Everything is skill stat based, and if you dont use a certain skill like fishing for a while, that stat will degrade. It is a lil hardcore in areas as well, there is full player looting if you kill a person, but its within a limited time window meaning if a player doesnt loot your body if they kill you in a certain amount of time, you will spawn with all your stuff....Also have to do stuff like Eating, resting and Drinking water...

Its an interesting game that i thought of maybe trying out.
    Iscreamloudd Hib/Gawaine - RR10.5 Banshee
    Dewan Alb/Merlin - rr6 Cabby
    ...Smurff of Ywaine, rr7 Runie of Fenris.

Soulwalker

I already play eve online but that is space ships and sci-fi having that in fantasy in a good game like this one would be good. Seeking as this got moved to off topic gives me a good answer that Rift will be yet another spoon fed game. It really is sad that this model has sirvived this long.

+ Reply to Thread