+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is there so much talk about WoW?

Soulwalker

Default Why is there so much talk about WoW?

Seriously, why is there so much talk about WoW by the Devs, the people who play this game, and the people who tried it and don't like it. I, for one, don't buy into all the WoW hate. I can't tell you how many negative reviews I've read about this game that the only reason why people think it's bad is because it's a "WoW clone". For one thing, I fail to see how following the mold of the single most successful MMO in the history of MMO's is a bad thing. That's like saying that Kobe Bryant is a bad basketball player because he is compared to Michael Jordan, it doesn't make any sense.

But this is not WoW, this is Rift. Instead of focusing on how Rift compairs to WoW, why don't we focus on Rift. Is the game perfect? No, but neither is any other MMO. I just think that too many people are wanting a perfect product, and I think that is asking way too much. I think that if more people would just allow themselvs to be entertained by this (or any other for that matter) game instead of just trying to point out everything that is "wrong" with it, things would be a lot better.

Plane Touched

You made a forum account, just so you could post about wow? Lame.

Because people like you (OP) keeping making threads about it!
    "If patience is a virtue how come I am virtually out of it?"
    Proud member of 1Million post club!

Because WoW is the big...and most people here are probably from WoW

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss616 View Post
    Because WoW is the big...and most people here are probably from WoW
    This, WOWtards are basically eveywhere. I bet even OP. Just tell us how many max level char you got and on how many server? And how many little ponies? Its just madness, one guy told me he got over 20 char total on different servers.
    Last edited by June; 03-27-2011 at 04:11 AM.

Why is there so much talk about WoW?
    Why are you talking about WoW?

- Cause theres so much talk about WoW

Why is there so much talk about WoW?

- Cause...

you exist.
    Truth hurts, but your lies are ****ing agony.

Rift Chaser

Saying that Rift, overall, is "WOW-like" in gameplay is like saying that Call of Duty 4 is "Doom-like". It's a generalization that doesn't mean much. But some elements are literally straight from WOW.

Like the auction house is literally STRAIGHT from WOW. The only games I know that have an auction house exactly like WOW is WOW and Rift.

And it's not even a good auction house. I have no idea why they didn't invent their own, or at least copy it from a better game. EVE has a fantastic auction house -- easily the best in the whole genre. Why copy the crappy WOW auction house?

The crafting system is straight copy-paste from WOW as well. Again, the only games I know that have a crafting system exactly like WOW is WOW and Rift.

And again, it's not a great crafting system. It's functional but it was mediocre in WOW and it's mediocre in Rift. Why not improve on it? Why not make their own system from scratch?

It makes sense to use WOW as a baseline, just like WOW used the other MMORPGs at the time as a baseline, but some things were copied over which should have been improved on.

(Incidentally, the warfronts are mostly straight from WOW as well. And, once again, instanced PvP mini-games are a mediocre concept which Rift copied without improving upon.)
    Last edited by Slamz; 03-27-2011 at 04:53 AM.

hey u all knew that the potatoe was invented by the us-americans/europeans, cos we all eat them the whole day long our whole life?

and there r only 2 true sorts of potatoes out there and we eat them all day, all other 3000 sorts out there r just clones!

true story dudes!

Quote Originally Posted by Aries1138 View Post

But this is not WoW, this is Rift. Instead of focusing on how Rift compairs to WoW, why don't we focus on Rift. Is the game perfect? No, but neither is any other MMO.

Uh, EVE Online is a perfect MMO. It can't be argued because it's true. No MMO out there compares to EVE.

Because people like to hold on to their hate for something trivial, working tirelessly to dethrone a game that did nothing to them.

Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

+ Reply to Thread