+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with cliques in a guild? Im not getting groups

General of Telara

Default How do you deal with cliques in a guild? Im not getting groups

This is starting to piss me off. I have been level 50 for 2 weeks now I am online for 4-5 hours every night and still havent completed a single Expert dungeon. All I do is ask in guild chat if anyone needs a healer but everyone formed their own stupid little cliques and wont let anyone else in. Obvious solution is join a new guild but thats the problem. On my server we are the only guardian guild thats even starting to raid, and since I cant transfer off what do I do? They either need to add a dungeon finder so I can get a group or let me transfer to a new server so I can find a guild that actually groups together without stupid little cliques. Anyone else been in a guild where this happened and how did you make it stop?

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
    This is starting to piss me off. I have been level 50 for 2 weeks now I am online for 4-5 hours every night and still havent completed a single Expert dungeon. All I do is ask in guild chat if anyone needs a healer but everyone formed their own stupid little cliques and wont let anyone else in. Obvious solution is join a new guild but thats the problem. On my server we are the only guardian guild thats even starting to raid, and since I cant transfer off what do I do? They either need to add a dungeon finder so I can get a group or let me transfer to a new server so I can find a guild that actually groups together without stupid little cliques. Anyone else been in a guild where this happened and how did you make it stop?
    Drop guild and find one that isn't full of *****. A guild is for more than just raid groups. A guild is for people you relate well too. It's rather obvious that you and them are not relating well enough for it to work. Find a guild that you can enjoy.
    Last edited by Gimpi; 03-26-2011 at 08:13 PM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpi View Post
    Drop guild and find one that isn't full of *****.

That would either require a reroll or server transfer. There are no other guilds close to our size that are even close to raiding.

Ascendant

This is one of the biggest issues guild leaders face, you should talk to your guild leader about it. In fact, it is pretty much a problem any community of people faces. And they are destructive (cliques) and need to be addressed for the guild to remain successful

So, I would without any drama or fanfare ask the guild leader if maybe you two could chat. Then very nicely say something like (in your own personna and words) "I have been trying to complete xyz dungeon and every time I ask the same group of people are already going and they seem like they don't really want anyone new going along. Any chance we could get a group together so I can do some of these things?".

At this point the guild leader (or Officers) response will tell you if you want to stick around in the guild or not.
    If it is something like "L2P Newb' then /gquit

If it is "Hey yea, sure, sorry that is a problem'. Then hopefully if he/she is a good guild leader, without letting anyone know you said a word they will get it done for ya.

Give them a chance though, cliques can be hard to pull apart and also, if you try sometimes it can pull a guild apart so the leader/Officers have to be careful.

Good luck.

I hate cliques. I own a boarding ranch (for horses) in real life and I have it now where we don't have them but we did for while and it sucked, it applies to lots of venues not just games!! (school, businesses, hobbies etc.)

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by rastaah View Post
    This is one of the biggest issues guild leaders face, you should talk to your guild leader about it. In fact, it is pretty much a problem any community of people faces. And they are destructive (cliques) and need to be addressed for the guild to remain successful

So, I would without any drama or fanfare ask the guild leader if maybe you two could chat. Then very nicely say something like (in your own personna and words) "I have been trying to complete xyz dungeon and every time I ask the same group of people are already going and they seem like they don't really want anyone new going along. Any chance we could get a group together so I can do some of these things?".

At this point the guild leader (or Officers) response will tell you if you want to stick around in the guild or not.
    If it is something like "L2P Newb' then /gquit

If it is "Hey yea, sure, sorry that is a problem'. Then hopefully if he/she is a good guild leader, without letting anyone know you said a word they will get it done for ya.

Give them a chance though, cliques can be hard to pull apart and also, if you try sometimes it can pull a guild apart so the leader/Officers have to be careful.

Good luck.

I hate cliques. I own a boarding ranch (for horses) in real life and I have it now where we don't have them but we did for while and it sucked, it applies to lots of venues not just games!! (school, businesses, hobbies etc.)
    How do I do this without sounding like Im trying to rat someone out. Or that im whining?

Telaran

I'm sure there are other players in your situation on your server. Try finding them, perhaps by using this very set of forums, and maybe you can start your own guild with those people?

Maybe you can run your guild in a way that discourages cliques?

Otherwise, try spending some time looking for pick-up-groups in the high-level chat areas? Or perhaps you can find a new guild on another server and start a character on that server in the meantime?

Maybe the problem is you. Have you attempted to interact with them for anything else other than raid invites?

Rift Disciple

You already know the answer. You just don't like it. Sorry, but there isn't any magic solution.

How do I do this without sounding like Im trying to rat someone out. Or that im whining?
    You do it with tact...

Coming up with a solution rather than hashing over the problem will get you better results with people. Try convincing your guild leaders to set up a rotation list so that all in your guild has a chance to participate in your scheduled/unscheduled raids and instance runs.

If that doesn't work, then you'll know what to do and what not to do when you leave your current guild and form your own.
    Last edited by Clarivoyant; 03-26-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: fat finger problems

That would either require a reroll or server transfer. There are no other guilds close to our size that are even close to raiding.
    Then organize things yourself. Stop being a sheep who feeds off others work and maybe take some initiative to help yourself?
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

So drop one or both of those criteria. Find a guild that's not close to raiding and help them get close to raiding, or run in a smaller guild that's less bad.

Telaran

Try something like this:

"Hey, I really appreciate all the work you're doing in leading this guild. I was hoping to talk to you, though, about getting on the raid roster. I'm finding that I have a hard time getting a group within this guild, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to increase my chances of getting a group? Maybe you know other people who have been having similar problems, or perhaps you can take a look at my spec and play style to help me become a better teammate?"

If your guild leader responds negatively to that, then you really should just leave the guild.

Telaran

As long as you present your complaint tactfully and politely, a good guild leader (or officers) will try to help you. If they don't seem to want to help, try to think about how the game is still young, and starting over with a guild that you can be happy with is certainly worth the hassle. I was stuck in a guild on WoW that had some people that I did not get along with. I didn't say anything at first, which caused the problem to fester within me until I finally had to say something or quit. Things got better because we had a good guild leader. One of those people aren't even in the guild anymore (not because of me, this came a couple of months later).

Evaluate whether it's worth it in the long run to stick with that guild, or shop around for something more comfortable. You hit 50 not long ago, you have plenty of time waiting for others to catch up.
    Last edited by JudgementofDog; 03-26-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    Patience is not a virtue. It is a necessity.

Ascendant

People gave some good ways to say it Just say it in your own words....don't whine just say the facts in a nice way, but yea, don't make it their problem as much as something you are just trying to work with or around.

Sometimes there could be a reason your not aware of.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by rastaah View Post
    People gave some good ways to say it Just say it in your own words....don't whine just say the facts in a nice way, but yea, don't make it their problem as much as something you are just trying to work with or around.

Sometimes there could be a reason your not aware of.
    If I was bad I wish they would just tell me lol. I never healed before but Im good at DPS i could always switch roles. But even when I try and start groups people will say they are busy or tired then 10 mins later you see them listed in an instance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast