+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do people do this?

Shadowlander

Default Why do people do this?

This is more of a rant than anything.

My Daughter bought a car and of course I end up working on it.

Somehow the people put the wrong nut on the spindle and messed up the threads. They had put a makeshift nut on there and didn't even have a key in it either,the wheel was ready to come off. I have repaired many,many cars and have never seen something like this unless the car had actually had an accident on that particular wheel.

Why do people work on cars when they have no idea what they are doing? Even if they have a Chilton or Haynes manual they still screw it up somehow.

It makes me laugh every time I see a grammar **** put someone down because they misspelled a word or said it incorrectly,they say you speak the language so you should know how to use it.

This theory is flawed since how many people that drive can fix thier cars correctly?

It amazes me how people can be CEO's of a company and yet don't have the common sence to fix thier computer or car or many other common everyday things.

/end rant

I can can perform routine maintenance on a car, and I usually manage to figure repairs out even when they are beyond the routine. -Like replacing the rubber belt in a car tape deck or the spring in a switch, I've always been very good at figuring out how things work. I'm not exactly MacGyver, but close enough for practical purposes: My husband isn't the Mr. Fix-It in my house, I am.

Despite my engineering tendencies, I have better-than-average spelling and grammar, and I stink at doing math in my head.

People "who" - not "that" - do something. ;P
    Amare et sapere vix deo conceditur.

I love cars, and always have, but honestly. i'm not going to waste the time doing it myself.

Yes, i said waste the time. For what should be obvious reasons to the OP.

For one, lack of tools, unless you have a shop at your disposal, you're not going to have all the tools you need to work on something involving more than routine maintenance. Not to mention half the stuff involving electronics or sensors need to be Diagnosed by ODB II 90% of people out there don't own the tester. Sure you can go to Autozone, but half the time they don't even have the specific solution. Like say an O2 sensor, easy to replace yes, but an Autozone ODB II test is just going to tell you that one of them is broken, not the specific one.

On top of that it's a giant pain in the *** to get to anything in the engine bay anymore with how crammed into the engine bay they are with all the emission controls, electronics ect...

Honestly its a larger waste of most people's time and money to fix their own car issues now a days than bringing it to a shop.

Do i think it's pathetic people don't have a general understanding of how to change their oil, or Change a flat, or basic car things like that that everyone should know? of course.

But having a Clinton or Haynes manual doesn't make you a pro mechanic, or mean that you have an engine lift, or Hydraulic press, or even a proper Jack and stands kicking around. Not to mention the people in the city that don't have a place to work on their cars

Rift Disciple

I'd say it's better to let someone know they're doing it wrong than to let them go on thinking otherwise. Put-downs are unnecessary.
    Last edited by rainyman; 03-26-2011 at 07:03 PM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon5 View Post
    I love cars, and always have, but honestly. i'm not going to waste the time doing it myself.

Yes, i said waste the time. For what should be obvious reasons to the OP.

For one, lack of tools, unless you have a shop at your disposal, you're not going to have all the tools you need to work on something involving more than routine maintenance. Not to mention half the stuff involving electronics or sensors need to be Diagnosed by ODB II 90% of people out there don't own the tester. Sure you can go to Autozone, but half the time they don't even have the specific solution. Like say an O2 sensor, easy to replace yes, but an Autozone ODB II test is just going to tell you that one of them is broken, not the specific one.

On top of that it's a giant pain in the *** to get to anything in the engine bay anymore with how crammed into the engine bay they are with all the emission controls, electronics ect...

Honestly its a larger waste of most people's time and money to fix their own car issues now a days than bringing it to a shop.

Do i think it's pathetic people don't have a general understanding of how to change their oil, or Change a flat, or basic car things like that that everyone should know? of course.

But having a Clinton or Haynes manual doesn't make you a pro mechanic, or mean that you have an engine lift, or Hydraulic press, or even a proper Jack and stands kicking around. Not to mention the people in the city that don't have a place to work on their cars
    Exactly why I own an older vehicle without computers, it may need repairs due to its age, but I can fix it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Many have quitted, they are lost almost half of the servers they started. I hop in next MMO for sure. Rift is awesome game but PVP is just crap.
    Lol really now?

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Jcdew1 View Post
    This is more of a rant than anything.

My Daughter bought a car and of course I end up working on it.

Somehow the people put the wrong nut on the spindle and messed up the threads. They had put a makeshift nut on there and didn't even have a key in it either,the wheel was ready to come off. I have repaired many,many cars and have never seen something like this unless the car had actually had an accident on that particular wheel.

Why do people work on cars when they have no idea what they are doing? Even if they have a Chilton or Haynes manual they still screw it up somehow.

It makes me laugh every time I see a grammar **** put someone down because they misspelled a word or said it incorrectly,they say you speak the language so you should know how to use it.

This theory is flawed since how many people that drive can fix thier cars correctly?

It amazes me how people can be CEO's of a company and yet don't have the common sence to fix thier computer or car or many other common everyday things.

/end rant
    Common sense is not all that common unfortunately. Natural "intuition" is hard to come by.

I've seen people who have worked in machine shops for 15-20 years, making precision automotive parts, who didn't know that oil is used in axle differential carriers. When informed, they continued to question how the oil got from the engine all the way to the rear carrier. /facepalm
    Last edited by Txzeenath; 03-26-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ - O/C - Running 24/7 at 4.2GHZ
    GPU: 2x XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Crossfire - O/C to 935/1435
    Display: 3x ASUS 24" Monitors in Eyefinity(3240x1920)
    HDD: 4x WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200 RPM in RAID 10
    MB+RAM: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 890FX -- Ballistix Tracer 6GB DDR3
    Cooling: Water cooled on a 3x120 rad. Running 10x120mm Yate Loons + 1x200mm Big Boy Fan

Shadowlander

I don't expect everyone to be able to do everything but if they are going to do something do it right or get someone who can.

Times are tough these days and getting a mechanic to fix your car is out of a lot of people's Budget I imagine and that is probably why they attempt to do it themselves,I really wish they would find better mechanically inclined friends to help them.lol

Champion of Telara

Times are tough these days and getting a mechanic to fix your car is out of a lot of people's Budget I imagine and that is probably why they attempt to do it themselves,I really wish they would find better mechanically inclined friends to help them.lol
    Or someone with enough "common sense" to know what a properly threaded fitting feels like when being turned lol. These people should not be lifting 1,500+ pounds on a small piece of rolling metal, and putting their heads under it..... or maybe they should. Hah
    Last edited by Txzeenath; 03-26-2011 at 07:43 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ - O/C - Running 24/7 at 4.2GHZ
    GPU: 2x XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Crossfire - O/C to 935/1435
    Display: 3x ASUS 24" Monitors in Eyefinity(3240x1920)
    HDD: 4x WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200 RPM in RAID 10
    MB+RAM: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 890FX -- Ballistix Tracer 6GB DDR3
    Cooling: Water cooled on a 3x120 rad. Running 10x120mm Yate Loons + 1x200mm Big Boy Fan

To many, the English language is more accessible than the workings of a vehicle and is put upon them in school.

Yes, I agree that some people should carry a bit of knowledge of what they drive but it can't be expected that they should know everything. That alone should bar them from trying to do it themselves but if they think they can save money, they'll try it.

As for the grammar Nazis, they're just a bunch of ******s that have something to prove. Same as ***** irl.

I'm not one myself but I do cringe every time I see someone mess up then/than, their/there/they're and so on. It makes me cry when I see people InTeNtIoNaLly TyPe LiKe ThIs or to add emphasis to cries of help by repeating consonants such as "HHHELLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

I know, I sound like a grammar **** but the difference being that I keep my nitpicking to myself.

As for the CEOs, do you know how to run a corporation effectively and efficiently? Not likely. Everypony has their own area of expertise and others can't be bothered/can't afford to invest the time required into learning the workings of a vehicle.

Why bother learning about something "trivial" when a CEO can just pay somepony to do it for them. Or better yet buy a new pc/car.

+ Reply to Thread