+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is a /true/ old school RPG?

Default What is a /true/ old school RPG?

So I realise that I have never in my life played a proper RPG. I've played DAO, DA2, ME, ME2 - you know the titles everyone moan to be mainstream. I think the closest I'm touched upon RPG is Dungeon Siege 2's demo.

I hear lots about Baldur's gate and Planescape Torment. But what really defines an old school RPG? Creating a character? Giving them a cool staff or sword, dilaogue options, sex, what?

I'd like to know. And I'd like some good titles that I may consider playing. Thanks.
    Azendi /Sol.

Plane Touched

RPG-7. True and old school for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Archellion View Post
    Heavy stuff.
    Azendi /Sol.

Ultima Underworld (and the normal Ultimas, already mentioned)

Might and Magic (Clouds of Xeen era)

Not as old school, but by far my #1 favorite, all time, ever, for ever ever, BFF4LIFE, rpg: Fallout 2

And to answer what defines one.. immersion. If a game makes me give a crap about my character, it succeeds. Fallout 2 did just that in so many ways. It makes Fallout 3 look like trailer trash.
    Last edited by Ixath; 03-25-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixath View Post
    Ultima Underworld (and the normal Ultimas, already mentioned)

Might and Magic (Clouds of Xeen era)

Not as old school, but by far my #1 favorite, all time, ever, for ever ever, BFF4LIFE, rpg: Fallout 2

And to answer what defines one.. immersion. If a game makes me give a crap about my character, it succeeds. Fallout 2 did just that in so many ways. It makes Fallout 3 look like trailer trash.
    I always thought I was into RPGs before I realised I just want a bloody good story. Like Heavy Rain. Then everyone comes and whines, "it feels like I'm RPing through a preset story"... so I got the impression that a "true" RPG is about choice.
    Azendi /Sol.

Quote Originally Posted by Azendi View Post
    I always thought I was into RPGs before I realised I just want a bloody good story. Like Heavy Rain. Then everyone comes and whines, "it feels like I'm RPing through a preset story"... so I got the impression that a "true" RPG is about choice.

You want choices? Planescape: Torment or Baldur's Gate should suit you perfectly, then.
    "Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."

Rolemaster, Legend of the Five Rings 1st edition, and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd edition (preferably Planescape, Dragonlance, or Ravenloft). Until you belly up to the table with some dice, some paper, some friends, and some snacks, and crazy imaginations, you've never role played.
    Last edited by Darkhaven; 03-25-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    "We talking regular beautiful here, or Gina Gershon beautiful?"

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Falkus View Post
    You want choices? Planescape: Torment or Baldur's Gate should suit you perfectly, then.
    Morrowind.

Rift Master

The Witcher is a good example of a more recent RPG that is in the style of Old School RPGs.

Dungeons & Dragons P&P version the true ols school RPG.

i'm sure only a few people will have heard of this game, but back on the good ol' NES, there was a game called Faxanadu. it had everything: horribly translated Japanese storyline, incredibly difficult learning curve, and next to no explanation of how to play the game. which, we all know, are hallmarks of a true RPG.

if you're into S&M check out http://www.1980-games.com and search for it. you won't be disappointed. or maybe you'll hate me. either way, you'll accomplish something.
    "Judge if you want, we are all going to die someday - I intend to deserve it."

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhaven View Post
    Rolemaster, Legend of the Five Rings 1st edition, and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd edition (preferably Planescape, Dragonlance, or Ravenloft). Until you belly up to the table with some dice, some paper, some friends, and some snacks, and crazy imaginations, you've never role played.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Everything else is just a video game guys sorry..

Rift Disciple

Pfft. Before D&D there was the original...

Chainmail.

Now that was a roleplaying game! (And it was in fact a major inspiration for D&D which came out 3-4 years later.)

Quote Originally Posted by Archellion View Post
    Morrowind.
    YES! Although, this isn't really "old school", per say.

Final Fantasy. The original. Ballin'.
    <The Project Hate> on Faeblight
    Nekronomica - Nekronomicon - Nekronomia - Nekronomis

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast