+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When between EQ and WoW did it become acceptable to...

Rift Chaser

Default When between EQ and WoW did it become acceptable to...

release expansions with only the barest amount of content available, then make you pay and wait for at least a year's worth of time/subscription money while the rest is slowly patched in? It's ****ing ridiculous when I think about it and wonder why that model is widely accepted.

I know most of EQs final expansion bosses were broken/impossible cocklocks on release, but the rest of the raids and group content were available on day 1, not slowly stretched out over a year or longer. If the hardcores want to blow through it all and get bored? Who cares, let them.

I'm surprised more people aren't pissed off about how the game is making you wait for at least a year to face the guy on the box cover, let alone the idea of being told "hey you're too stupid to moderate your own playtime so were holding the content from you so you don't go overboard"

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Skagzilla View Post
    I'm surprised more people aren't pissed off about how the game is making you wait for at least a year to face the guy on the box cover, let alone the idea of being told "hey you're too stupid to moderate your own playtime so were holding the content from you so you don't go overboard"
    Maybe because those people who aren't whining like you are actually enjoying the game for all it provides and didn't rush to 50 doing the minimum content needed to do that.

I think the biggest issue here is money.

If all the content is released at once, some people will reach the end of the expansion very quickly. These people are then stuck there until the next expansion - Far longer then people can be bothered to wait.
    If however the expansion is brought in multiple parts (More specifically, patches), the people who reach the current end-game will continue to pay until the next part if released. This allows the company to keep their players on the ropes for longer, allowing them to earn much more money.

I agree that it's a really unfair system, but this is a capitalist world we live in. It ain't gonna change soon.

Soulwalker

Facing the guy on the cover? AFAIK that would be Asha Catari or Cyril Kalmar(depending on if it's CE or not). I've been face to face with Asha more often than I care to mention, and I bet Guardians can say the same about Cyril.
    I'd rather face a real bad guy instead of them (although I'd rather not have us kill Regulos as that would only kill the game. IMHO).

Ah, just realised you were probably talking about MMOs in general. Feel free to ignore me and my ramblings
    Last edited by Niht; 03-25-2011 at 03:41 AM.

It's because if they release all the content at once, the gap between the casual and semi hardcore to full hardcore player becomes too large. Look how long the majority of guilds struggle with even simple end game content. It gives them time to catch up before they advance along.

I like the idea of the world slowly going forward, as the new event lined up is doing. It seems like a more organic world, with things gradually taking place over the course of time. I for one approve of the way things are going.
    "In the land of the terribles, the mediocre is king."

i agree with you on the slow release of the content, but i also can understand why they do it. especially back in the days of EQ, no one held your hand. you had to figure the quest steps out yourself, wait endlessly for a spawn in some back corner of a dungeon, and finally figure out the correct way to turn it in without breaking the quest mechanic.

nowadays, every quest is spelled out for you verbatim. i'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, because most people have evolved to a casual gamer, they want to hop on, finish some quests and make the bar for a couple of cocktails before crashing for work the next day. can't blame that kind of gamer, they just are the majority now, so most games are catered to that play style. they release content slowly so it will keep the interest fresh and have the majority constantly looking forward to the next release of minimal content. they don't want to be overwhelmed. i can liken it to holding a carrot in front of a horse's nose, or holding an entire garden. sure, the garden might work, but the horse is going to be more confused than with just a simple, straight-forward carrot.

either way, i still wish MMO's had the same level of immersion that they did back when EQ was released. at least back then when i completed some extremely convoluted, annoying quest for a weapon that would be obsolete in 2 levels anyways, i felt a level of accomplishment. now it just feels like a bunch of stepping stones to level 50. ah, c'est la vie.
    "Judge if you want, we are all going to die someday - I intend to deserve it."

Rift Master

What I don't like more, is how long it takes them to bring out new content for non raiders. Arenanet was able to make 3 times the content with new art assets then Blizzard or any other MMO developer have ever done in a 2 year period. Why can't MMO developer do the same? From my understanding Arenanet is going to do the same with Guild Wars 2, bringing out frequent expansions just as big as the ones they made for Guild Wars 1, and they won't even have a subscription model. Why can a non subscription Buy 2 Play model able to make new content that is fantastic for non raiders faster then subscription model developer?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Skagzilla View Post
    release expansions with only the barest amount of content available, then make you pay and wait for at least a year's worth of time/subscription money while the rest is slowly patched in? It's ****ing ridiculous when I think about it and wonder why that model is widely accepted.

I know most of EQs final expansion bosses were broken/impossible cocklocks on release, but the rest of the raids and group content were available on day 1, not slowly stretched out over a year or longer. If the hardcores want to blow through it all and get bored? Who cares, let them.

It became commonplace (I wouldn't use the word acceptable) when the idiots in the $2000 suits in the accounting departments of the big game companies realized piles of cash could be made off of MMO's. So Sony (as SOE) and Electronic Arts and now Time-Warner (with the purchase of Turbine) jumped on the bandwagon and began eating it out from the inside.

It won't be long before one of them buys Trion. After all, most of Trion's personnel were previously employed by one or more of the big boys, which had bought out their previous employers (Mythic, Sigil, Turbine, etc.) Look at how quickly EA snapped up BioWare after BioWare got the rights to do SW:TOR.

Customers? We're just convenient ATM's for the guys in the $2000 suits.
    Last edited by Langkard; 03-25-2011 at 01:57 PM.

+ Reply to Thread