+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Off-Topic threads, locked for being, off-topic.

Default Off-Topic threads, locked for being, off-topic.

What be this madness?

Surely other games are off-topic, it seems Trion are afraid of competition? Not sure why, they have a solid game. :S This is the only game forum I've seen that cracks down on other game discussion threads...
    "I only just realized, after what seemed a lifetime of ignorance unbeknownst to me, I finally grasped the notion of what is known as the 'veil of ignorance'.
    I had been blissfully unaware, happily blinded by this.
    However, the first step of redemption is admitting past discrepancies. Infantile steps. Walk before you run."

I was just about to make a thread regarding this, actually. Good thing I refreshed the page and saw someone else had beaten me to it.

First of all, my intention is not to whine, so hopefully I do not come across as doing just that. I am a little concerned to see threads regarding other games locked in...well, the off topic forum. The whole point of this board is for posters to come together and discuss things other than Rift itself.

We're all gamers, and I daresay the vast majority of gamers play more than one game.

Yeah I saw it too. The same copy/pasted reason for locking.

Maybe they're just trying to crack down on the "omg wow is better" threads but have to lump the other MMO threads in as well. It's only fair, I suppose.

The fact they only locked other MMORPG threads and left the FPS game threads / Rift is better than WoW threads open seems to confirm the OPs suspicions.

It's kind of a turn off, mods. I don't know if the big bosses told you that you have to do this or what. If off topic must only talk about Rift, then what is Rift General Discussion for?
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Plane Touched

They're protecting their fanbase and potential customers.

I'd be happy to see "Rift is a copy of x" or "Rift is better/worse than x" - there are so many of those that it just gets frustrating. However, I don't see how "other games" may be a threat to Rift because a lot of people are able to maintain two (or more) subscriptions anyhow.
    Azendi /Sol.

I find evidence of brand jealousy to be a turnoff in general. It's both unfair and unrealistic to insist that gamers limit discussions of games to only home-field products.

It's also what ends up encouraging members of the fan base to resort to spending time on other unofficial forums, when as a brand manager, you'd really want them to spend most of their time spewing info about their game perceptions here.
    Amare et sapere vix deo conceditur.

+ Reply to Thread